Discord Store wants an Epic win with 90/10 revenue split

Remember the Epic Store announcement a a couple weeks ago, and its developer-friendly revenue split? Competition for a chunk of Steam's pie is fiercer than ever, because now Discord has joined the gang of companies trying to undercut Valve's service.

In a blog post, Discord says that its Discord Store, launched a few months ago, will start being more friendly toward developers in two ways. The first is that Discord will only take 10% of a title's price for itself; the developer gets the other 90%. Second, the store will move to a self-serve model in which developers can publish their own titles, presumably with little intervention and delays from Discord's part.

To justify the move, Discord says it's talked to multiple developers and the general conclusion was that digital download stores aren't doing enough to earn their 30% cut. The company flatly says that it doesn't need anything approaching 30% of a title's price to digitally distribute it in this day and age. Discord thinks its services and tools are to thank for that competitor-undercutting advantage.

The company goes one step further and says it's considering lowering its cut below 10% in the future once it optimizes its tech and improves the Store's efficiency. Expect the Discord Store to begin its improvement process in 2019.

• 9 months ago

Does anyone else care, or are you all (like me) just annoyed that Discord is becoming large, bloated, and irritating to use because of their evolution into a store rather than a comms product?

• Waco
      • 9 months ago

I’m with you. I just want a comm app that works well. It does that well. The instant it doesn’t I’m dropping it.

• sweatshopking

I just use skype.

• Waco
          • 9 months ago

I haven’t had as great of luck with Skype, it seems that every time I tried to use it in the past (pre-moving to discord) it had to update, had trouble connecting, etc. No crazy firewalls or weirdness on either end.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 9 months ago

Discord is so much easier

• sweatshopking
            • 9 months ago

For what? I call or message Jeremiah or Cole and that’s basically it.

• atcrank
    • 9 months ago

Ahh, the old ninety-ten split. Someone negotiated a flip-around!

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpceRxLnEiA[/url<]

• NovusBogus
    • 9 months ago

I was wondering when Discord would get around to offering up something that resembles a business model.

• ClickClick5
    • 9 months ago

Valve has the capital power now to go:

“Oh no…oh my stars….whatever shall we do?”
    *5% to valve, 95% to devs*

EDIT: Just like OPEC did.

• DoomGuy64
      • 9 months ago

It would make more sense to drop the percentages on steam sales when games are heavily discounted. Not only would this profit devs, it would encourage more of them to discount games, profiting the gamers. Everybody wins, since even more people would use steam and buy games for the sales.

• DoomGuy64
    • 9 months ago

I already watched a few videos about the epic store, which claimed that it was only developer friendly, and not consumer friendly. Basic things like refunds, sponsoring devs to be exclusive, and a complete refusal to allow user reviews. Makes sense, considering that’s who epic is. Discord on the other hand, could easily out compete epic in terms of being more pro-consumer. Not that I think discord could beat steam.

• thedosbox
      • 9 months ago

“watched a few videos” – ah yes, youtube, that bastion of thoughtful discourse, the complete antithesis of clickbait outrage. /s

For example, there was a load of outrage about Epic’s initial refund process, but did anybody bother making a video about it after it was fixed?

[url<]https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-10-whats-the-deal-with-the-epic-games-stores-refunds[/url<]

• DoomGuy64
        • 9 months ago

I’m sure somebody did. That said, fixing one problem doesn’t invalidate all the other issues, and my top issue with the store is the user review refusal. Not only does this stop consumers from knowing how bad or good a game is, but apparently Epic has been taking an aggressive anti-user stance on refusing to implement it. The excuse is review bombing, which is nonsense, because some games deserve it. They are simply enabling bad developers, and I can’t see the store lasting long term with these policies. If you ever thought steam was bad, which they have multiple methods of mitigation, Epic’s store is going to be a dumpster fire of garbage.

• thedosbox
          • 9 months ago

“I’m sure somebody did.” – yet here you are whining about it, despite it being fixed five days ago.

The sense of entitlement that any new thing has to be perfect right out of the gate is getting ridiculous. Ignore that steam was a dumpster fire on launch, and took [b<]years[/b<] to implement refunds. Pretend there are no other places to find reviews of games /facepalm

• BurntMyBacon
            • 9 months ago

I haven’t made a determination regarding Epic’s store as I plan to wait for the early bug fixes and policy changes to complete before giving it a go. That said, I think you are using “sense of entitlement” backwards. I usually hear “sense of entitlement” in the context of people feeling they have a right to something they haven’t earned. In this case, the customer has some amount of money at his disposal. It is at his sole discretion whether he spends that money on games, a text book, basic supplies (I.E. food), or some other item (frivolous or not). He may even decide NOT to spend it. If he should choose to spend on games, he may choose any storefront he prefers for any reason he deems important. Entitlement would be if Epic thought that they should get his sales despite not meeting the criteria he deems important.

On the other hand, I will agree that it is, perhaps, short sighted to dismiss a storefront entirely and irrevocably based only on early bugs and policies that may be changed favorably in the near future. That said, no bug fixes or policy modifications will change the where the bulk of the customer’s existing library lives. Nor will it change if the customer has an adversity to using many clients.

I tend to take the approach of checking out new storefronts to see if they have potential as you never know when any particular company will fail.

• thedosbox
            • 9 months ago

> I think you are using “sense of entitlement” backwards.

Call it petulance if you prefer, but the point about the outrage whenever something new comes out stands. There was no patience to see whether problems got fixed, but “watching a few videos” was enough to reach a judgement.

• BurntMyBacon
            • 9 months ago

[quote=”thedosbox”<]Ignore that steam was a dumpster fire on launch, and took years to implement refunds.[/quote<] If steam had launch with its initial bugs, quirks, and policies against a very large and well established storefront, then I doubt they would have done so well. Of course if they had, they would've had the benefit of knowing what features customers expect and how they could monetize the storefront in a way customers will accept. As it was, there was no established digital storefront to emulate. They were largely developing new and unique features and hoping customers found them valuable enough to skip the physical storefronts. Some were clearly more successful than others. Policies established were likewise trying to find the best balance between value and profitability. Hopefully they realize that this balance is a moving target. The end result is that today, they have a well established storefront, a large user base, and other storefronts are left in the position of matching Steam's offering and creating their own value adds to draw customers away. I've been on steam for a while, but I didn't really start do much with them until their client stabilized and policies were acceptable. Similarly, I've dabbled in numerous other storefronts, but the only other one I've really made good use of is GoG (it is nice that I don't actually need the client to play the game). Note: While I've purchased many games through Humble Bundle, they are all serviced through the clients they "compete" with, so I'm not considering them a competitor so much as a collaborator.

• thedosbox
            • 9 months ago

> they would’ve had the benefit of knowing what features customers expect

This assumes that all consumers want what steam offers – as opposed to put up with it. As you point out, GOG’s continued existence suggests that’s not the case. I just want somewhere to buy games from and keep them updated, ideally DRM free (yeah, I know). Discoverability features would also be nice, but that’s not an issue on the new entrants yet.

What I don’t want is a gamified storefront designed to hook me and keep me there – see achievements, trading cards and holiday “games”.

• DoomGuy64
            • 9 months ago

Steam wasn’t an official storefront until after most of the major problems were ironed out. It was initially a digital distribution client explicitly for CS and other valve games, and as such the problems with initial versions do not apply as a comparison. I don’t think there were even that many problems with it either, as steam was clearly superior from everyone else even then, and still are to this day. There were probably more problems with the OS than steam back then too.

Also, Steam did not take “years to implement refunds”. I got refunds well before it was officially supported. They just didn’t publicly admit to supporting it, nor was it an automated process. You had to talk to support about a refund, and have a valid reason for it.

• NovusBogus
      • 9 months ago

Indeed, I’ll give them credit for offering up an actual value-add for why customers might *ask* to buy a game from a given distributor, as opposed to the usual industry practice of being *told* which one they’ll be buying from. The industry would be better off if there were four or five distributors with substantial market share and developers/publishers released on most if not all of them as a matter of habit.

• Shinare
    • 9 months ago

Self-published titles ya say? With little intervention ya say? Humm… I can’t see how that could go horribly wrong.

• morphine
      • 9 months ago

One has to guess that there is some sort of veto process, else, yep, there’s no way that that could ever end up badly.

• LostCat
      • 9 months ago

Valve already said they were moving in that direction.

• Neutronbeam
    • 9 months ago

This is terrible news for Valve–it may even force it back to being a game DEVELOPER again! Oh, the humanity!

• sweatshopking
      • 9 months ago

Nope. Monopoly power wins.

• morphine
      • 9 months ago

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ<]Click here[/url<] for the [b<]three[/b<] reasons why that probably won't happen.

• DeadOfKnight
        • 9 months ago

I don’t have to click it to know what it is.

Son of a bitch.

• morphine

\m/ O_O \m/

• chuckula

Hey that’s a good song!

Never heard it before!

• Arbiter Odie

>:(

• lycium
      • 9 months ago

Can you imagine them so hard pressed for cash, they’d have to make and release Half Life 3?!

I mean it’s basically a gulag at that point.

• Voldenuit
        • 9 months ago

The Valve of today would make the Gravity Gun a microtransaction. One that’s only available through paid lootboxes.

If there’s anything Artifact has taught us, it’s that Pay2Pay is the new paradigm.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 9 months ago

I have origin, u play. Battle.net, steam, and win 10 app store all with different passwords that are created each time i log in through email password reset.

I feel like this number could be higher and more user names and password resets would improve my gaming experience.

• morphine
      • 9 months ago

I hear that great things happen when your password reset level reaches 9000.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 9 months ago

I will report back soon.

• Voldenuit
      • 9 months ago

You don’t use Discord already?

I use Discord instead of native voice chat in all the multiplayer games I play.

• DeadOfKnight
        • 9 months ago

Not to buy games. If I did, I’d probably forget that I have them.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 9 months ago

I use it everyday, but i don’t remember my password. When i get logged out, I have to pw reset.

• Voldenuit
          • 9 months ago

‘Can’t steal my password, if I don’t remember it.’ /Rollsafe.

• jihadjoe
        • 9 months ago

Discord is awesome. We even use it for work to manage people who telecommute

• nanoflower
      • 9 months ago

you don’t take your gaming seriously enough. At this point i have accounts on Epic, Uplay, Steam, Origin, GOG, Windows Store, Battle.net. It’s a crazy amount of different launchers so I end up mostly using Steam games. Oh, wait I forgot I have a few games on Twitch too. Nothing on Discord as of yet, but I do have a Discord account so that may change in the future.

• Srsly_Bro

I’m a dirty casual. Rip

• meerkt
        • 9 months ago

You forgot Humble Bundle/Store.

• EndlessWaves
      • 9 months ago

That’s a bit unfair on the Windows Store given that you only need to log in to download games, and not play them like all the others.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 9 months ago

If i play on another computer?

• PrincipalSkinner

Muahaha. Good one!

• willmore

At least GFWL is dead.

• jihadjoe
      • 9 months ago

IIRC you can login to Discord with your Google account.

• superjawes
    • 9 months ago

Like I said when Epic announced, Valve can probably just match this.

That being said, Discord does seem a bit more appealing as a store assuming that Discord functions are integrated. The app already works well with several titles, but offering game enhancements would be the best way to [i<]really[/i<] take a bite out of Valve's pie.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 9 months ago

Valve is only good for distribution and current library support. It doesn’t create much of anything anymore. It’s about time other companies provide competition. The option of a discord store can help me increase my online game library presence across more platforms.

• superjawes
        • 9 months ago

Gotcha, but competition will be difficult if Valve can basically do the same thing. The big appeal of Epic and Discord stores (to developers and/or publishers) is a better cut of the sales, since Steam already has distribution and library support managed. Heck, even with Valve taking a 30% cut, the market access might beat out these challengers.

That’s why Discord is at least interesting as an alternative. Anyone taking a real shot at Steam’s crown is going to need to do things that Valve cannot. EA was doing pretty good when they upped Origin’s customer support, especially with introducing refunds. Now EA has been…EA since then, but they did get Valve to move. Now it’s Discord’s chance to jump ahead with better functions (while also offering a better cut to developers/publishers).

• sweatshopking
          • 9 months ago

Consumers will only change if there is some advantage, like lower prices. Technically games here could be quite a bit cheaper, but I doubt we see it. If not an advantage for consumers none of this matters. Developers will go where the customers are.

• superjawes