Radeon 18.12.3 drivers bring the Doc Martens down on bugs

The recent release of AMD's Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition is positively packed with features. As any developer knows, however, with a great number of features comes a great amount of bugs. Thankfully, AMD's devs are on the ball, and they just released the Radeon 18.12.3 driver package.

The latest update doesn't list any fancy new features, but does stomp down on a handful of bugs. The biggest one is of particular interest to owners of Vega cards, since they might have seen memory clocks locked at 800 MHz. Custom fan profiles for certain titles should no longer linger on after the game is closed, either. Radeon Settings ought to stop erroneously displaying an old driver version number, possibly confusing some users along the process.

There are additional fixes for minor UI issues in Radeon Overlay and Radeon Wattman. Owners of VR headsets should no longer see Radeon ReLive get corrupted for a few seconds after plugging them in either.

The known issues list for this release reveals a few select tidbits. Multi-monitor users could experience mouse lag if one of the displays is powered off, and zero-RPM fan mode may not kick in when switching between auto and manual fan controls. Custom WattMan settings may sometimes not stick with RX Vega cards, and the video player in Radeon Overlay may be a little jerky when moving the playback slider. The Radeon Software uninstaller may occasionally not remove Radeon Settings, too.

We figure that most Radeon users already have a notification and a request to download the new version. Those looking to install the 18.12.3 package directly can hit AMD's website. The curious can check out the full release notes here.

• watkinsaj
    • 10 months ago

AMD have their driver release schedule the wrong way around here – shouldn’t they release a beta version to introduce the new features, then release a stable and signed build that fixes the bugs?

I’m torn between wanting the most stable system possible and sticking to non-beta Radeon releases.

• DoomGuy64
      • 10 months ago

It technically was pretty stable as long as you didn’t use some of the new features on certain cards. Edge case scenario type stuff. I didn’t experience the memory clock bug on my Vega 56, so I wonder what was causing it, and how prevalent it was. The standard functionality worked better than previous drivers, and the known issues have been unresolved for quite some time, making me wonder how much AMD actually cares about those bugs.

• watkinsaj
        • 10 months ago

That is good to know. I should have no trouble using 18.12.2 with my RX 470 in that case.
        AMD’s recent driver updates have definitely been more reliable than in the past and the Radeon Settings interface is getting better and better.

• JustAnEngineer
    • 10 months ago

[b<]New[/b<] bug: Since installing version 18.12.3., I continually get reminders that I need to upgrade to 18.12.2. Honestly, does no-one in the world do software QA before shipping anymore?

• Goty
      • 10 months ago

That’s because 18.12.2 is the “recommended” version or something and 18.12.3 is “optional.”

i.e. “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”

• Shobai
        • 10 months ago

That would fine if not for the fact that this has, to my knowledge, never happened before.

• DoomGuy64
          • 10 months ago

No, it has. However, it was supposed to have been fixed at one point. I think windows update was even patched for a similar bug, as the OS itself would forcibly install older drivers over newer ones.

Getting hard to keep track of who did what, since nearly everyone has dealt with a similar issue under windows 10.

• Krogoth
      • 10 months ago

It is because the advisor recommends using WHQL drivers and latest version is 18.12.2.

• dpaus
    • 10 months ago

I’m the first to want to know more…

• ermo
      • 10 months ago

On a more secondary note, I want to know more about the 7nm Vega II.