Wednesday deals: a 32″, 165-Hz FreeSync display for $330 and more

Howdy, folks. The Christmas and New Year festivities are over, and we'd guess that every gerbil is hung over from gorging on far too much food. I know that I've put on at least a few pounds, and now I need to converse with the treadmill and have lots of arguments (that I'll invariably lose) with the boxing bag. For the time being, though, I'm sitting happy, looking at PC hardware deals. Here are today's picks.

• We're kicking off today's proceedings with humongous displays. The first one is the Pixio PX329. This display's simple name belies its unique set of capabilities. It's got a 32" VA panel with a resolution of 2560×1440. That's on the low-PPI side, sure, but the maximum refresh rate is a whopping 165 Hz, and there's FreeSync support. All things considered, this is a near-perfect gaming display. The input selection has two DisplayPort connectors and two HDMI inputs. Take this expanse of pixels home for just $329.99 from Newegg with the cart code EMCTUTV23.

• The second screen is the Acer ED347CKR. This unit also uses a VA panel, but this time around it's curved and is 34" across its diagonal. The resolution is 3440×1440, and the maximum refresh rate is 100 Hz, which is a nice figure for a display this big. There's FreeSync support, too, with a nice range of 30-100 Hz. The included stand offers swivel and height adjustments, and the price is just $399.99 at Newegg if you input the cart code EMCERRX28.

• We've talked about the FreeSync displays, now we're going to look at a card to drive them. The XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black is a simple card, but it's got what it needs: a beefy dual-fan cooler with an attached backplate and a 1405-MHz boost clock in its OC mode. Newegg will hand you one of these in exchange for $189.99.

• Next up is a potent portable PC. The Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G-87PK) is a 15.6" laptop powered by a Core i7-8550U processor coupled with 8 GB of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics card. Storage duties are handled by a combo setup with a 128-GB SSD and a 1-TB hard drive. The hard drive and DIMMs are easily accessible for upgrades, and the asking price is but $599.99 at Newegg.

• The final item today is the Azio MK Hue keyboard. This full-sized clacker has an aluminum backplate and tactile, non-clicky Outemu Brown switches. There's white LED backlighting, macro support, and full N-key rollover. You'll only need $38.99 to take this home from Newegg Flash. You can hardly go wrong with a nice mechanical keyboard for under $40, can you?

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• ronch
    • 10 months ago

Just today I was looking at getting an Acer Swift 3 with a Core i3-7020U, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 14″, WIn10 for $500. And now look at that Acer up there for $600. Good grief. I mean, sure it’s nowhere as sleek as the Swift 3 but good grief, those specs are nice.

• ronch
    • 10 months ago

I’m waiting for the day when they make a monitor that’s so concave that it wraps around my head.

• adamlongwalker
    • 10 months ago

Quote: “It’s got a 32″ VA panel with a resolution of 2560×1440.”

Reply: 2560 x 1440 IS the sweet spot now. And at 165hz , if true is going to be a good buy.

Over the years 4K has been more fluff than real. When the prices come down on those monitors and Video Cards that can properly use it… the 2560 x 1440p resolution will be around for awhile.

• 10 months ago

The irony is that no AMD card ever made can run modern games at 2560 x1440 anywhere near 165fps. Unless by modern you mean “indie retro ASCII game released last month”.

Vega64 will run modern titles like BF5 at 1440p at ~85fps in most cases. Those are ultra settings, mind you, so maybe 100fps+ if you turn some of the heaviest eye-candy settings down a notch.

• DragonDaddyBear
        • 10 months ago

And no Nvidia GPU ever made will run modern games at 120 FPS at 4K. Why by that fancy 4K, 120Hz G-sync monitor made by Asus. It’s totally useless, right?

• 10 months ago

Does the 2080Ti not exceed 4K120 in many games already?

• Krogoth
            • 10 months ago

It does with most stuff provided that CPU isn’t a bottleneck and you are willing to make some compromises.

• iQuasarLV

Maxed?
            Tomb Raider, no. Forza 4, no. Black Ops 4, no. FarCry 5, no. Kingdom Come, no. Wolfenstein 2, yes. Sniper Elite, no. ME Andromeda, no. GoW 4, no. Deus EX Mankind, no. Fallout 4, no. GTA V, no.

So, which ‘many’ modern games are you referring to? You would have been better off just accepting that no card is pushing the envelope these days when it comes to resolution. I gotta wonder is 4k/120Hz worth dropping the graphics levels worth it. Isn’t that what Nvidia fans keep harping on AMD cards about, sacrifices for FPS?

• Usacomp2k3
            • 10 months ago

Or run it as high instead of stupid ultra.

• Anonymous Coward
        • 10 months ago

It [i<]might[/i<] qualify as ironic if the graphics card was physically built into the screen.

• Goty
        • 10 months ago

I guess it’s a good thing variable refresh exists then, eh?

• DPete27
        • 10 months ago

Careful with your generalisations kemosahbee.

• chµck

AMD FreeSync (48-144hz)

• Usacomp2k3
    • 10 months ago

2 of those 34” on order. Can’t wait for them to come in.

• sweatshopking

So jelly

• confusedpenguin
    • 10 months ago

Nah. I normally play games like WoW and Witcher 3, so I like to enjoy the colorful words. IPS panels only.

• JustAnEngineer
      • 10 months ago

VA has decent color and blacks are actually better than IPS. This is not a nasty TN display. One does wonder if the VA pixels can physically keep up with the 165 Hz refresh. VA is usually slower than IPS.

• Spunjji
        • 10 months ago

They have improved a lot on that front – it’s usually only transitions between dark shades that are slower than the average IPS panel now, and not too bad even then.

Viewing angles are still weird, though, which can affect perceived contrast quite a bit if you’re not in the exaaact sweet spot.

• willmore
    • 10 months ago

That keyboard looks great.

• sweatshopking
    • 10 months ago

Bruno, I have a 1070 and a 1060. Those monitors don’t help me.

I also don’t have permission to buy a monitor.

• K-L-Waster
      • 10 months ago

[quote<]I also don't have permission to buy a monitor.[/quote<] Soooo you're looking for a monitor with "spousal-permission-SYNC" ?

• davidbowser
      • 10 months ago

If you want to buy something for yourself in the new year, you MUST shower your other half with sweetness and joy at Christmas. I bought my wife a keeper hardcover of American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which she loved. Then I bought myself some new tech gear on Jan 1.

• gamoniac

Well played.

• anotherengineer
      • 10 months ago

Could be worse, I need another vehicle, I remember when our dollar was on par with the greenback, I should have got a new one then…………..sigh………….

• sweatshopking

Kijiji, brah

• rudimentary_lathe
        • 10 months ago

Yeah, you can always go used. Or lease.

Also, I don’t think there’s as big a difference in new car prices across the border. Not as big as the ~37% FX difference, anyway.

• BobbinThreadbare

Sell one and buy the rx580 clearly

• sweatshopking
        • 10 months ago

But the 580s slower and uses more power and I’m already wayyy over what I should be using on my 450w psu….

• rudimentary_lathe
          • 10 months ago

I have my 480 at 1300MHz and 1.1V and it maxes out at around 110W – usually hovers around 100W. The 480/580 only gets really bad on the wattage if you’re squeezing every last ounce of performance out of it.

But yeah, it’s definitely slower than the 1070. As for the 1060, it depends on the game. But I’d take the 480/580 since you get FreeSync support.

• 10 months ago

I’m not sure where I draw the line, but I’d definitely trade the performance advantage of a 1070 over a 580 if it meant I could have VRR. What’s that, a 30% performance and power-efficiency drop or something?

AMD should be thanking Nvidia, really. I’m reasonably certain that the stubborn refusal to support VESA (Freesync) VRR monitor standards is a significant proportion of their desktop GPU sales. I’d have switched back to Nvidia with Pascal long ago if it wasn’t for the fact that almost all of the decent gaming monitors at sensible prices are Freesync rather than G-Sync. That damn G-Sync tax effectively plays right into AMD’s hands.

• DPete27

Couldn’t agree more.

• DPete27
            • 10 months ago

Have you tried going lower? Mine does 1305MHz/1020mV and so does my brother’s. (Multi-day stress test stable)

• rudimentary_lathe
            • 10 months ago

Yes I have gone lower. I’ve had it at 1300MHz/1050mV and it’s stable in everything I’ve tried except Crysis 3. I took it as low as 1V but had to lower the clock to 1250MHz to keep it stable. I’ve had it up to 1375MHz/1150mV too, but the power usage was ugly.

I’ve kept it at 1100mV for the better part of a year. With all the driver improvements, maybe I should experiment again and see how high she’ll go. It’s winter here – the extra heat shouldn’t be a problem :).

• pogsnet1
          • 10 months ago

You can run both RX 580 and 1070 tandem. RX will be the main then Nvidia will be the second card. But much better and faster than 1060 and 1070 tandem.

• BobbinThreadbare