Samsung’s new monitors bring space-saving and gaming performance

Samsung announced three new displays ahead of CES that are designed for workspace efficiency, gaming performance, and content creation, respectively. All three monitors will be on display at the show, though they don't yet have release dates or price information.

Perhaps the most interesting of the three is Samsung's new Space Monitor. What makes this display unique starts right down at the base. Rather than sitting atop the desk, the Space Monitor clamps onto the back of the work surface and raises up into a flat position, which can then be lowered down when it's time to use the screen. The monitor can be tilted and extended from the wall, although it doesn't seem like it can swivel from the images Samsung has shown so far. When raised, the rear of the monitor has enough space for that arm to hide on the back of the screen, allowing it to lie that much flatter.

The screen itself comes in 27-inch model has a QHD (2560×1440) resolution, but the 32-inch version boasts 4K UHD (3840×2160). Samsung's initial press release doesn't get into the hard specs of this thing, but it does mention that "power and HDMI cords" are run through the monitor arm for a cleaner look, suggesting that it doesn't have DisplayPorts. No details about color fidelity or response time are available either, which leads us to believe that this screen is meant for office use, rather than as a gaming or content creation display.

For gaming, Samsung has the 49-inch CRG9 Super Ultra-Wide Screen. It features a 32:9 aspect ratio across a 5120×1440 display space with an 1800R curvature. It features a host of features that should be enough to please most gamers. The monitor offers a 120Hz refresh rate and a response time of just 4ms, and it incorporates AMD's FreeSync 2 tech. The screen can reach a peak brightness of 1000 nits and is HDR10-compliant.

On the back of the display, you'll find two DisplayPorts, one HDMI port, a USB 3.0 port, and a headphone jack. The display offers picture-by-picture functionality to allow for two sources to use the screen at once. Between the FreeSync 2 capabilities, 1440p resolution, and PBP option, the CRG9 seems primed to have an Xbox One X plugged in alongside a gaming PC.

Last on the list is the UR59C, which Samsung is calling the "world's first 32-inch curved 4K UHD designed for content creators." It offers a 2500:1 contrast ratio and full 3840×2160 resolution, and, based on Samsung's boast of one billion colors, it sounds like this is a 10-bit display. The curvature on this is just 1500R. The UR59C also has an ultra-slim design at just 6.7mm deep. We don't yet know what input options the monitor will feature. Samsung is going for a fashion-focused look with this thing, as it features a "Dark Blue Gray" design and a fabric-textured backing. Neither the CRG9 nor the UR59C seem to have any position-adjustment options.

As we mentioned, Samsung isn't talking about release dates or pricing with these, but we're looking forward to getting some hard specs and a look at that price tag once word is available.

• NovusBogus
    • 10 months ago

CRG9 skeptics should note that what we have here is analogous to a pair of standard 1440p 16:9 displays, but with no bezel and smoother viewing angles. Dual displays are not exactly new, but this would be more useful for gaming for obvious reasons.

• rudimentary_lathe
    • 10 months ago

The CRG9 looks positively monstrous. At that size, I would have expected it to have more vertical pixels – 1440p seems like it would be inadequate. Also some games don’t fully support regular 3440×1440 monitors, let alone this beast.

Aside from that – and the likely pricing – it checks a lot of boxes. But I think I’d sooner go large format 4K before this. I just read elsewhere that LG will be refreshing its OLED TV lineup with 120Hz refresh rates and possible VRR support. If true that could be very compelling.

• gerryg
    • 10 months ago

Error on Samsung UR59C sepcs. Samsung’s US [url=https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/32-ur59c-curved-4k-uhd-monitor-lu32r590cwnxza/<]website[/url<] says the curvature is 1800R in one spot, and 1500R in another. A 1500R would be very "curvy" and even less flat than 1800R. Are there any "content creators" out there that can speak to how much "curviness" is enough/too much/too little? You would really have to center yourself and your monitor very precisely and consistently (no slouching!) IMO in order to be able to not have a warped view of the content.

• UberGerbil
    • 10 months ago

Do “content creators” actually want curved displays? Genuinely asking..

I guess when the panels get large enough there’s a benefit but assuming it’s an IPS display you’re not getting weird color shifts at the far edges.

• krazyredboy
      • 10 months ago

For me, the difference between a 29″ non-curved panel and a 34″ curved panel is night and day. I thought I would like the 29″ flat panel but ultimately, I found myself constantly shifting in my chair to read items on the extreme edges or finding the color to be slightly off at certain angles, even though it’s a decent panel. However, once I moved on to using my curved 34″ monitor regularly, I have found it to be much easier on my posture and ability to simply turn my head and read documents, work on my 3D content, edit my videos and play games. I’ll never go back to standard monitor again.

On a side note, I had tried out Samsung’s last 49 monitor. I did not like it. I found that it was actually, too wide for me. Granted, I can see cases in which this would benefit people, but even in respect to some the excel spreadsheets I use, this was too much. Also, at that time, it only had a 1080p resolution, compared to the newer 49 incher’s 1440p resolution.

By and large, I’m happy with the 21:9 format, as well. Beyond that, it is very niche to me.

• DPete27
        • 10 months ago

I don’t feel that achieving a comfortable/natural in-game FOV is much/any problem with 21:9, but I’m skeptical beyond that.

• Amiga500+

You like 21:9?!?!?

And there is me longing for them to see the light and go back to 16:10 rather than continue with 16:9!!

• Froz
          • 10 months ago

21:9 is great when you want to work on 2-3 separate tools/windows shown one next to another. There are apps that make setting this up very easy, with whatever ratios you want.

For example, I typically use about half of the space in width, in the center of the screen, for the main tool I’m using or a browser, the space on the right for instant messenger or email and space on left for whatever else I want to monitor.

I can switch very easily to half-half split, for example if I want to work on 2 files or I can open that huge excel file in fullscreen. It’s really great for productivity. A bit like having 2 monitors, but without a bezel in the middle and allowing you to freely change where is the split.

Also, movies look great without black bars.

Gaming used to be a bit hit and miss, but it’s in general getting better over the years, more and more games properly support the ratio. I would not advertise 21:9 as primarily focused for gaming though.

• Liron
      • 10 months ago

Not me because I use rulers all the time on it.

• NovusBogus
        • 10 months ago

Maybe they’ll do what Asus did with some of their ProArt monitors and add an on-screen display grid. May not be quite as reliable as a ruler, but it does work for most stuff.

• adamlongwalker
      • 10 months ago

As a content creator I certainly do not want a curved monitor. I understand that some might and it would be probability better in games but it is not for me.

And just because you got a “Name” brand does not make you better than anyone else. Example:

I’m working on a QNIX 2710 LED 27inch monitor @ 2560x1440p , 60 hz pushed to 70 hz. It has lasted me over 4 years of 10 – 18 hours per day usage. It was considered back then a no name,”Bargain Basement of IPS monitors. But the monitor performed beautifully and it was a great price and gathered a good reputation over time. I will be looking for another monitor by researching in the near future.

I am not interested in Gimmicks. I do not buy Junk. I do my research carefully. I am interested only in the longevity of the price vs performance results. And I know I will be happy with those results.

Again some people like Curved monitors and it does have it’s place. But its not for me.

• Voldenuit
        • 10 months ago

Here are what I consider the advantages of a curved monitor for content creation and office work:
        * Less color & gamma shift on VA panels, less IPS glow, from educed off-axis viewing
        * Less change in focusing distance from center to edges of the screen, this massively reduces eyestrain when working on fine detail and text

As for straight lines, that is not an issue for me. The perception of ‘straightness’ gets adjusted by the brain once it’s used to the curved monitor. And I have a non-curved secondary monitor, so it’s not screwing up my perception of straightness on planar displays. If I’m dealing with levelness in Raws and video, I’m using guidelines anyway no matter if the panel is curved or straight. And if I’m working on a CAD model, I also have no difficulty telling if a line is straight or not (and the spline definition in the model or a in-program measurement is going to be more reliable than the eye anyway).

• 10 months ago

Many of our artists refuse to upgrade to larger screens as they become available because even with reasonably-decent, colour-calibrated Dell Ultrasharps, they get contrast/gamma shift off-center. As I roll out higher-resolution, larger monitors to all the engineers and architects, I’m finding that the graphics/art people refuse.

None of them are particularly tech-literate but they do know about perpendicular viewing because they spend all day every day discussing on-screen colours. Those discussions are impossible if two people sitting next to each other looking at the same screen are seeing different things.

To them, a larger screen doesn’t improve the viewing angle situation, so they prefer to run 3 or 4 smaller monitors in an arc around them. As much as I’d like to give them OLED displays, we’re not that flush 😉

• oldog
      • 10 months ago

I agree with the commentators that it is a personal preference thing. But dang going from prolonged periods of time in front of curved to flat monitors is frankly weird. The flat one seems convex for the first few minutes.

• freebird

Now that is what I call a MONITOR to brag about… 😀

Could probably use 1600 for a 32:10 ratio though for a little extra vertical, still though,
    WOW.

Can’t wait for some review on this.

The CRG9 has been what I’ve been waiting for to upgrade from my Benq XL2730 (2560×1440 @ 144hz).

Found an article on this monitor at [url<]https://www.computerbase.de[/url<], so I came here to see if TechReport had any more info on it...

• DPete27
      • 10 months ago

120Hz FS2 and1000nits are fantastic. Can someone who cares more about this monitor than me find how many local dimming zones there are though?

• DPete27
      • 10 months ago

[quote<]Could use for a 32:10 ratio though for a little extra vertical[/quote<] Robocop disagrees with this assertion.

• jts888
      • 10 months ago

Maybe I’m too boring, but I’d still just prefer a 120+ Hz UHD.

My LG 43UD79-B has 12.5% more pixels and 23% more physical viewing area despite its 42.5″/UHD stats vs. the CRG9’s 49″/5k labels. I used to joke that the inherent marketing figure trigonometric distortion inherent to ultra-wide displays would eventually get us 4:1 or 8:1 aspect ratios, and I was never hoping to be right. 🙁