Thursday deals: a speedy HP EX920 512-GB NVMe SSD for $86 and more

Howdy, folks! The big announcements have been made at CES, so you'll soon be looking at multiple stories about some of the most interesting and just plain quirky bits of kit at the show. While we carefully brew said information, though, you'll of course want to peruse today's selection of sweet hardware deals. Here they are.

• This item is a familiar sight in our deals post, but we'll never get tired of it while its price is tasty. The HP EX920 512-GB NVMe solid-state drive is one fine data pusher thanks to its 3200 MB/s read and 1800 MB/s write speeds. People like me who have a penchant for random I/O performance might appreciate the 340K random read IOPS and 260K random write IOPS ratings. The asking price is just $85.49 at Newegg with the promo code EMCTUUT39. That amount wouldn't even get you a SATA drive in this capacity not too long ago.

• If you're building a new machine in this day and age, you really need speedy RAM for best results. The XPG Gammix D10 16-GB set has two sticks clocked at a healthy 3000 MT/s and non-obtrusive heatsinks. The timings are 16-18-18, and the price tag reads $104.99 at Newegg.

• Mid-tower enclosures are what we're most used to for our builds, but they can get so boring. Change things up a little with something like the Fractal Node 804. This case is deceptively large, and despite the fact that it takes mobos "only" up to mATX, it has room for eight hard drives and radiators up to 280mm. The sharp looks make this a fine case for an HTPC, and the roomy interior could make it work as a NAS enclosure. Get one for $79.99 from Newegg.

• And now for something big. The Acer CZ350CK is a 35", ultra-wide curved VA display with a resolution of 3440×1440. Those characteristics are enticing enough, but the refresh rate is a nice 100 Hz, and there's FreeSync support on tap. Acer says the screen is calibrated from the factory, and the included stand is height-adjustable. Newegg will give you one of these if you fork over just $449.99 and use the cart code EMCTUUT27.

• The last two pieces are meant for gamers on the go. The Acer Aspire 7 (A715-72G-79R9) is a 15.6" laptop with a 1920×1080 display. So far so good, but there's a Core i7-8750H processor under the hood, accompanied by 8 GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. There's no spinning rust here—the storage duties are handled by a 256-GB SSD. This machine isn't the sveltest on the catwalk, but the price is quite fetching: only $791.99 at Newegg with the cart code GNBSALE.

• If you prefer a similar take on a gaming laptop but want more upmarket gear, then take a look at the Razer Blade 15 (RZ09-02705E76-R3U1). This lean, mean machine also has a 1920×1080 display and a Core i7-8570H processor, but it also has 16 GB of RAM and a mighty GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q graphics card. For storing your precious games, you get a combo setup comprising a 128-GB SSD coupled with a 1-TB hard drive. The whole enchilada weighs 4.5 lbs, and the battery is a 65-Wh unit that should be good for six hours of usage. Additional bonuses include a Thunderbolt 3 port, a backlit keyboard, and an Ethernet port. Just $1439.10 is the amount you'll need to grab one of these from Newegg, so long as you type in the cart code GNBSALE.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• ronch
    • 7 months ago

Crazy how you can get an M.2 SATA SSD these days for just $0.17/GB. That’s exactly what I did with a WD Blue M.2 SATA. Yes it’s not NVMe but SSDs are so cheap these days even without these discounts.

• Glock24
    • 7 months ago

I got the EX920 512MB for $79.99 on November 24th from newegg (eBay promo). I actually purchased 2. Performance is great, but there is absolutely no support from HP, no software tools, no firmware, etc.

• Goty
      • 7 months ago

Serious question: what do you need? I can count on one hand the number of times I have used any software targeting a storage solution or updated the firmware on a storage device.

• e1jones
        • 7 months ago

I’m on my 4th SSD boot drive (across 2 computers). The first was bang-flop dead out of nowhere. The second had no issues until the entire computer was replaced. The third was replaced temporarily for troubleshooting (and is also the only one I’ve downloaded an application to probe the drive for issues). The 4th has only been up and running for about a week or so, but may be swapped out for the original drive (once troubleshooting/completely reinstalling windows) is completed.

I guess in general it’s nice to have a manufacturer supporting a product, and not have the product you spent good money on being a red-headed step-child. On the other hand… except for having to warranty replace the first SSD and downloading some pretty basic app for the 3rd… I’ve installed, used & ignored pretty much every hard drive ever over ~20 years.

Unless a drive has glaring issues that firmware are gonna fix… I don’t know if it matters to me.

• albundy
      • 7 months ago

i go the 1TB EX920 over a year ago and paid $15 extra for square trade insurance. because i’d never trust any company these days.

• e1jones
    • 7 months ago

Did TR review the HP EX920? Google fu is failing me ~ Just saw that HP announced an EX950 as the next generation… guess Newegg is blowing out it’s stock?

This price almost tempts me replace the good ol’ BX100 that was the boot drive until I switched to a 2 TB Micron 1100 as part of my ongoing troubleshooting for BSODs. The Sammy 970 Evo is almost 50% more? Or wait until some of the better ADATA m2 drives go on sale…

• DPete27

[url<]https://www.anandtech.com/show/13037/the-hp-ex920-m2-ssd-review[/url<]

• e1jones
        • 7 months ago

Thanks. Was just hoping for TR’s world famous scatter plot…. but for almost half of its list price at release, I’m still tempted.

• Neutronbeam
    • 7 months ago

A “1-TB graphics card”? Man, that’s got to be quite the pixel pusher! I’m astonished they’re not charging more for it; there’s nothing else in the market like it! ;->

• morphine
      • 7 months ago

My excuse today is being blinded by the gobs of RAM on the Radeon Wii.

• K-L-Waster

The new Radeon has loads of HBM *and a motion controller?!?*

• morphine
          • 7 months ago

Yep! When frame rate starts to get slow, just shake the PC, it’ll spin right back up again. It’s the Rotary Translation eXtension.

• maxxcool

oooh magic 8-ball gpu!

• Usacomp2k3
    • 7 months ago

I got 2 of a similar Acer monitor (ED347CKR) on the $400 each deal a couple of weeks ago. I installed they yesterday to replace a 3×27″ setup. While slightly less real estate (~10%) it feels just as useful. I can fit 4 screens on half-width each versus only 3 full width on the old setup (2560/2 is too small for most things. 3400/2 works just fine). The curve is really nice and the 100hz is more noticeable than I expected for simple stuff.

• sreams
      • 7 months ago

Running a 50″ Samsung 4K TV here. While it can’t do 100Hz, the image quality is fantastic (when setup correctly) and it cost under $400. Like having four 25″ 1080p displays in a seamless grid.