Radeon Software version 19.1.1 kills bugs dead

The latest Radeon driver is the first release of 2019, and so it follows that it's called Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition. Driver version 19.1.1 is an optional release, and there's not a whole lot to it. However, if you (or your kids) like to yeet people off hastily-constructed stairways and then floss over their comically positioned ragdolls, then you'll probably appreciate this update's optimizations for Fortnite. AMD says this driver offers a staggering 4% performance uplift on Epic's mega-hit battle-royale builder.

This screenshot makes more sense than Gen-Z humor, at least.

Jokes aside, this appears to primarily be a fix-up release. The strange mouse lag caused by turning off one of many connected displays—a bug I ran into myself—has been resolved. Using Radeon Enhanced Sync on games using the Vulkan API should no longer cause tearing. Eyefinity setups should save custom color profile options now, and Virtual Super Resolution should be available on ultra-wide displays that are 1440 pixels tall. Finally, task switching with Alt+Tab should stop lagging up your whole system even worse than normal.

The majority of the fixes were actually to AMD's software itself. Radeon Settings should stop notifying you about new software even when the notifications are off, and it should show the correct driver version after updating through its updater. The AMD Upgrade Advisor built into Radeon Settings should stop suggesting older versions of Radeon Software, and it generally should be more reliable at detecting games and providing compatibility recommendations.

Unfortunately I can't show you what it looks like when you don't meet the requirements for a game.

Radeon Wattman settings should reset correctly when you click reset now. Likewise, cards that support stopping their fans at idle should be better supported in Wattman. Also, the AMD Settings app should quit crashing when you page through Radeon Wattman tabs. AMD fixed another crash too, which would happen when people clicked "restart" after a new driver install. The Radeon performance overlay should adapt correctly to in-game resolution changes now, and Radeon ReLive should correctly upload queued videos.

Some issues still persist, naturally. Most troublesome is that display pixel format and HDMI underscan settings may not stick after a system restart. Uninstalling Radeon Software may not remove Radeon Settings, and Radeon Wattman settings may not apply correctly on RX Vega cards. Radeon Overlay's in-overlay video player "may experience smoothness issues" when seeking. Finally, if anyone out there is playing Battlefield V on a Radeon, you may experience character outlines stuck on screen after being revived.

This driver update is for most recent Radeon hardware that isn't stuffed inside a Ryzen Mobile APU. While AMD did say that Ryzen Mobile APUs will be brought into the fold for driver updates along with the rest of the Radeon family, that hasn't happened yet. As usual, you can read the release notes for yourself here, or just grab the latest Radeon Driver from AMD's download site.

• DoomGuy64
    • 9 months ago

[quote<] This screenshot makes more sense than Gen-Z humor, at least.[/quote<] Some of the stuff that comes out of my 10-year-old's mouth is just weird. I'm afraid I'm getting old.

• 223 Fan
    • 9 months ago

AMD Link works much better since the last time I tried it. Civ V on the iPad from the living room is viable now.

• The Dark One
    • 9 months ago

Installed it immediately. 18.12.3 gave me a BSOD a couple days ago and I was about to roll back to an earlier 2018 release.

Here’s hoping this one is more stable!

• DoomGuy64
    • 9 months ago

Load times haven’t improved. The functionality may have, but loading into panels has not.

From global wattman to the video tab, for instance. It just hangs indefinitely, until whatever the panel is doing decides to start working. Once it works, I can get back into wattman easy enough, but tabbing out even a second time still hangs the control panel.

The only improvement I can say here is that previously going back into wattman used to hang, but that was on older drivers. I wasn’t noticing most of the other bugs, but it’s good they are fixed.

One of the biggest issues that will probably never be addressed is mass editing of game profiles, which is the biggest cause of control panel lag and memory bloat. You don’t have the ability to mass delete or disable unwanted profiles, outside of unofficial methods like directly editing the config files. If you have a lot of games, disabling unused profiles greatly increase performance, but you still have the problem of AMD randomly re-enabling them.

edit: Looks like there is an option now to disable all, but what I want is the ability to mass select individual profiles, and leave my favorite games still enabled.

• DPete27
    • 9 months ago

[quote<]cards that support stopping their fans at idle should be better supported in Wattman[/quote<] Y'know, I just noticed that WattMan was always turning off my ZeroRPM mode. Even after I had re-enabled it some time prior. Also, since when did they remove the "Target Temperature" settings from WattMan?

• JustAnEngineer
      • 9 months ago

Target temperature control disappeared with “Radeon Software Adrenaline 2019” version 18.12.2.
      [url<]https://techreport.com/review/34325/radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-untethers-radeon-gaming[/url<] Wattman's new temperature vs. speed plot does not work correctly with my Radeon RX Vega64. The fan speed stair-steps between the higher and lower speeds at each set point. There is [b<]no[/b<] proportional fan speed change between points on the plot, regardless of the slope displayed.

• DPete27
        • 9 months ago

That blows. I was optimistic about the new fan curve when I updated last night.

• JustAnEngineer
          • 9 months ago

It has got to be a programming error. This same card (reference Vega64) had variable fan speed when using the drivers from November (with a target temp and a min and max fan speed setting).

• firewired
    • 9 months ago

Would you like to know more?

• Krogoth
      • 9 months ago

The only good bug is a dead bug!

• davidbowser

Sanity check:

How often are TR readers updating their graphics drivers?

I ask because I generally only do it to fix bugs. Historically, graphics driver upgrades have tended to CREATE new bugs for me, so I end up opting for stability with my gaming machine. I am running 17.7 on Win10 with an RX560 and I have not really seen a reason to upgrade.

• RAGEPRO
      • 9 months ago

I update about every month, normally, although awhile back there was a serious bug with HDMI HDCP and I quit updating for a few months.

AMD has been pretty focused on adding new features that I not only don’t care about but am virtually allergic to (the overlay, the mobile app, etc – the upgrade advisor is cool at least, even if I’ll never use it myself) so I really haven’t had much reason to update beyond wanting to make sure my drivers are current.

• BobbinThreadbare

Usually every 3 months or so

• Soossi
      • 9 months ago

Every time there is an update.

• sweatshopking
      • 9 months ago

If there are new drivers I install them.

• Redocbew
      • 9 months ago

I’m surprised there’s so many people even among this group who update their drivers so regularly. I haven’t updated the GPU drivers on my gaming machine since I built it, but maybe that’s a consequence of the fact that I just don’t use Windows that much anymore.

• TheRazorsEdge

Around 2-3 times a year.

I would be more often if I’m running into compatibility/performance issues with new software.

But since I usually wait until games are done before buying them, I avoid most of the hassle. Done = 1-2 DLCs released, or else a GOTY edition.

• Rand
      • 9 months ago

Unless I’m having issues that can be traced to the GPU then every 3-5 months maybe, basically whenever I remember and feel like taking the few minutes to do so. It’s seldom much of a priority.

• anotherengineer
      • 9 months ago

hmmm now that you mention it

Win 10 pro ver 1709
      Radeon Software Version 18.1.1
      RX480

so I guess maybe once a year, or if I actually have an issue, or if I do a format.

• freebird
      • 9 months ago

whenever Chuckula mentions AVX-512, so every other day…. whether it needs them or not…

• Acidicheartburn
      • 9 months ago

I don’t do it very often unless I’m having problems. I take the old “if it ain’t broke” approach, as I’ve had even modern drivers end up reducing performance in some games such as Assetto Corsa on my old 7950.

• 9 months ago

Only when a game I want to play gets a fix. I got off the rollercoaster of [s<]love[/s<] drivers and bug fixes introducing bugs long ago.

• ermo
      • 9 months ago

I upgrade once the major releases have gotten a bugfix release or two.

I understand the sentiment regarding driver stability, but I would also like to point out that since Scott joined AMD, the RTG has been pushing out improvement over improvement to the driver suite in terms of features and tweakability.

But sure, every time you change code, you risk introducing bugs. To me, the new features offset this sad fact handsomely.

• thecoldanddarkone
      • 9 months ago

Only when I think it’ll benefit me. 2-3 times a year generally. My laptop had drivers from June (till last night).

• NovusBogus
      • 9 months ago

I tried to update my Nvidia graphics driver about a month ago, to support a new GPU. It went poorly, and I ultimately had to do a fresh Windows install to resolve all of the problems.

More generally I tend to pick a stable version and stick with it for a while. Performance gains like this one are impressive, but too many of the less mainstream games are still playing driver roulette for me to make a regular habit of it. If I was on the AMD side I’d be much more likely to do it, since their GPUs tend to get better with age.

• FuturePastNow
      • 9 months ago

I have not updated the Nvidia driver since they began forcing a login to their site to do so.

• ClickClick5
      • 9 months ago

Whenever the drive has fixes for a game I own. My current driver is from July I believe.

• plonk420
      • 9 months ago

when i was running Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on my sorta main pute up til last Feb or so, i was stuck at Dec 2014 drivers. worked for everything except Abzu

• gmskking
    • 9 months ago

Its always nice when bugs are killed dead as opposed to just being killed.

• RAGEPRO
      • 9 months ago

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2G-pJGyQYg<]It's a reference for us old folks. :)[/url<]

• Usacomp2k3
        • 9 months ago

I used to use RAID as my gamertag back when I was doing LAN parties.

• Krogoth

Bug lives matter!

• Redocbew

No, they don’t.

• Krogoth

*16oz bottle of Elmer’s glue not included

• enixenigma
    • 9 months ago

[quote<]Finally, if anyone out there is playing Battlefield V on a Radeon, you may experience character outlines stuck on screen after being revived.[/quote<] Oh, so that is a driver issue as opposed to a game one? I hope they can fix that one soon. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough to be annoying.

• willmore
      • 9 months ago

Is anyone playing Battlefield V?

• DoomGuy64
        • 9 months ago

RTX owners? Otherwise, the game is generally disliked for typical EA quality. Also, in the campaign, they rewrote history by taking real events and putting mary sue characters in them. Instead of using the real stories like russian snipers. People have hypothesized that EA did this to misdirect criticism of how bad the game was, into a political stunt. Probably all the above. Raytracing is the only good feature, and it won’t be a decent game until all the missing content, balance issues, and bug fixes are patched.