Nvidia GeForce hotfix driver 417.75 fixes flickering G-Sync displays

Do you have a GeForce graphics card? Do you also have a G-Sync monitor? If so, do you use it alongside displays connected over HDMI? Does your G-Sync display then flicker? If you answered "yes" to all of the preceding questions, Nvidia has a driver just for you. The green giant just released GeForce Hotfix Driver version 417.75, and its singular release note is that it should resolve flicker in the above situation.

The new driver is for 64-bit editions of Windows 10 only, but unlike Intel, Nvidia still serves up its driver releases in "standard" and "DCH" formats. That means users who are still on older releases of Windows 10 can install this driver. Given that Microsoft seems intent on pushing the Windows Modern Driver standard, it will be interesting to see how much longer GeForce users can stave off the seemingly inevitable change-over.

It's not clear whether Nvidia is talking about classical, "proper" G-Sync displays or if this driver also clears up issues with "G-Sync Compatible" (read: FreeSync) monitors. Regardless, if you've been suffering through flickering on your GeForce-connected screen, give this driver a try and let us know if it fixes up your issues.

• SoM
    • 11 months ago

keep the driver, use the DP port

• RoxasForTheWin
    • 11 months ago

Wow this is one of the rare times I’ve actually been affected by a bug, It’s nice to feel noticed sometimes

EDIT: For anyone curious, I am running a S2716DG Dell G-Sync Monitor and a PB278Q Asus 1440p monitor. The flickering would occasionally happen and mess up anything going on on my G-sync monitor so I’m glad this was sorted out. I’ll have to mess around for a couple days to see if it REALLY changes anything. I’m happy this ended up being a driver bug and not a broken GPU, I’m in no real position rn to RMA my 1070

EDIT2: It’s been a few days and the issue has in fact disappeared, I haven’t encountered it since I installed the driver

• Rectal Prolapse
      • 11 months ago

Please come back and let us know how it goes! I am also affected by this – the HDMI port sends audio to my home theater receiver, while video goes to my Acer Predator XB271HU (GSYNC of course). I am currently on driver 399.24, which allegedly also fixed the issue, but it doesn’t.

I am reluctant to upgrade because I rely on custom resolutions for home theater use, and every other driver release seems to break them. 🙁

EDIT: Thanks so much for the followup!

• freebird
    • 11 months ago

This sounds like something that would get a FreeSync Monitor kicked off the “G-sync Compatible” list. So is there really issues with most FreeSync monitors or are the issues “driver” related?

BTW, AMD or maybe Windoze 10 also has plenty of issues with 2nd monitor hookups at times; so much so that over a year ago I stopped keeping my 2nd monitor plugged into my PC.

• auxy
      • 11 months ago

Using multiple monitors in Windows can be touchy at times, although it pretty much works fine here. I have five monitors connected:[list<][*<]BenQ XL2546 @ 1920x1080x240Hz on DisplayPort (GTX 1080 Ti)[/*<][*<]Dell P2415Q at 3840x2160x60Hz on DisplayPort (GTX 1080 Ti)[/*<][*<]two AOC M2060SWD2 at 1920x1080x60Hz each, on DVI and HDMI (Intel UHD Graphics 630)[/*<][*<]MIMO 720F resistive touch at 800x480x60Hz on USB (DisplayLink)[/*<][/list<] No major issues, generally. I even swap between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 (@ 120Hz) on the BenQ monitor using Nvidia DSR. I'm not using any kind of adaptive-sync tho, so that simplifies things. ('ω') The only problems I have are almost always the fault of the crappy DisplayLink monitor and its awful, shitty drivers. I plug it into my front USB though, so it's easy to just disconnect it when it's causing issues.

• PixelArmy
      • 11 months ago

The fake-marketeer speech of the intro paragraph makes this confusing… More clearly the patch notes say “G-SYNC monitor may display random desktop flicker when an HDMI monitor is also connected to the same graphics card” so it doesn’t sound directly related to their G-sync “compatible” list since they probably wouldn’t connect an [b<]extra[/b<] monitor for that testing. And yes there are is at least some minor issues with a lot of FreeSync monitors. [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121716,[/url<] which links [url<]https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible,[/url<] which states "On all monitors, the screen would usually start tearing within 1-2 fps of the monitor's maximum refresh rate. The exact same behavior was observed when testing the monitors on an AMD Radeon card, and is caused by the refresh rate very briefly exceeding the display's maximum refresh rate." which is less than ideal. Whether this kicks them off the compatible list, I couldn't say.

• psuedonymous
        • 11 months ago

The other note from the Rtings reviews is the more likely reason so few monitors get the ‘Compatible’ badge: if VRR is not enabled out-of-the-box by default (e.g. if you need to go to a menu option to turn it on) then that automatically makes it ineligible.