Thursday deals: a 500-GB Crucial MX500 for $55 and more

G'afternoon folks. I hope you're feeling fine today, and devoid of any sniffing, puffy eyes, or a sore throat. I've been flu-stricken for a couple days now, and it's no fun at all. I keep oscillating between feeling energized and ready for the world, and thinking "I just want to sit or lie down and watch shows and play games." On the bright side, this is as good an excuse as any for partaking in those activities. There's no stopping the PC hardware deals train, though. Here's today's cargo.

• The Ryzen 5 2600 is one of the finest mid-range processors you can get your hands on, thanks to its six Zen+ cores, twelve threads, and 3.9 GHz boost speed. This chip should go in a nice home, like the ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard, a circuit slab that's chock full of goodies like two M.2 sockets, Type-C USB ports, Intel-powered gigabit Ethernet and 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and metal jackets around the main PCIe slots. Newegg will sell you both bits of kit for $254.98, or $45 off the regular combined price. That's not all, though: you also get a $25 mail-in rebate.

• If that ASRock board isn't quite your thing, maybe you'll want to check out the Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming, instead. This Ryzen-ready mobo has metal-reinforced main PCIe slots, an Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller, a fancy-pants Realtek S1220A audio codec, and onboard RGB LED lighting. Get it for $79.99 from Newegg with cart code EMCTUVY23.

• A couple days ago, we had a deal on an iPad Pro, and today there's another. The iPad Pro (2017) with 256 GB of storage and Wi-Fi connectivity is one of the finest, fanciest tablets you can get. Its wide-gamut display has a 120-Hz refresh rate, making for colorful and extra-smooth visuals. Inside, you'll find Apple's A10X Fusion SoC and 4 GB of RAM. Grab yours today for $549.99 from Best Buy.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• BillyBuerger

I just order a new Thinkpad for one of our people at work yesterday. Lenovo apparently didn’t get the memo about SSD pricing as they wanted $435 to upgrade from the 128G to the 512G SSD. I went with the base 128 and ordered one of the MX500s instead. Sure their 512G is NVMe. But I don’t think our sales people are going to need the extra IOPS. Unfortunately I didn’t get the discount code and had to pay the full $58 for it. 🙂

• Prestige Worldwide

Edit: MX500 is back at 79.99 at Amazon Canada!

For Canadians, the MX500 500gb [s<]was 79.99 CAD yesterday but is now up to 85.60[/s<]. Mind you, 84.99 was the black friday price so this is really not bad at all. I got one @ 79.99 for my wife's laptop whose sshd has become abysmally slow. [url<]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0784SLQM6/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB[/url<]

• enixenigma

Tuesday? Did I oversleep AGAIN??

• davidbowser

I had Monday off, so I have not known what day it was all week. I guess Bruno is in the same boat.

This week has been long enough as it is without a redundant Tuesday.

• morphine

This time around I have a fantastic excuse: I blame the flu -_-

• davidbowser

Feel better brother! Soup and tea

• superjawes

And here I thought you were playing around with your new flux capacitor. Guess that will have to wait until you feel better. Get well soon.

• morphine

Right now I can’t even do 8.8 MPH, much less 88.

if he was don’t you think he’d go back to the point in time where he started playing with it so he could resume a regular schedule?

• Usacomp2k3

I find it ironic that that AMD board has an Intel NIC on it.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think all the high end ones use intel nics

• K-L-Waster

What else would you use? Realtek or Killer?

(Correct answer is, “on second thought, the Intel chip can stay…”)

• Usacomp2k3

I love Intel NIC’s and appreciate that they didn’t go with an anyone-but-Intel approach.

• just brew it!

Realtek is “good enough” for 99% of consumers. These days their chips and drivers are decently stable, and a few extra CPU cycles here and there is “lost in the noise” now that quad core (and higher) CPUs are common.

I’d still recommend against using one in a mission-critical system though.

• LostCat

Most Intel NICs aren’t that much better. I like the chip on the Strix mobos though.

• Srsly_Bro

Explain…

• BobbinThreadbare

well you see they’re direct competitors so you wouldn’t expect 1 to use the other’s products and thus give them revenue

• Srsly_Bro

Intel uses AMD GPU tech and they cross license patents. Car manufacturing also codevelop competing products.

AMD also doesn’t make it’s own NICs.

Don’t @ me if you can’t make an argument.

Still waiting for your point.

• willmore

AMD makes NICs? That’s new to me.

• Sahrin

No, there’s no need to because Intel already does. Which is kind of the point.

It’s not like AMD made the motherboard, though. Nor does AMD have its own network controllers. If AMD was in the networking game, this board would be pretty wild.

• Srsly_Bro

Who let these people make accounts??

#buildthefirewall

• Sargent Duck

While we’re at it, can we lock someone up?

• Srsly_Bro

I don’t think bobbin deserves that. He made a stupid post but I don’t think he should be locked up.

• BobbinThreadbare

No, it’s the only way I’ll learn

• Ummagumma

You can delete your account anytime, but you can never leave !

• rnalsation

What do you mean AMD doesn’t have it’s own network controllers?!?
        [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Lance_Am7990[/url<]

• Ummagumma

You mean HAD their own networking chip.

That Wiki page suggests technology that is better off seen in a museum or recycle bin than on a modern motherboard.

• rnalsation

That’s the joke.

• Ninjitsu

whooosh

• chuckula

AMD?

Networking?

There’s an [s<]app[/s<] [u<]CHIPLET[/u<] for that!

• Srsly_Bro

Needs strike though on “an” also and needs “a” added. This isn’t your best work. AMD/Intel got you on furlough?

• Krogoth

AMD calls it GLUENET!

• Goty

AMD does actually make their own network controllers. In fact, there are two 10Gb ethernet controllers on every Zen die, though I think they are only exposed in the Ryzen V-series embedded parts.

• stdRaichu

Not sure why the downvotes – AMD do have their own network chip inside the SoC. In Linux it’s known as the AMD xgbe:
          [url<]https://lwn.net/Articles/601785/[/url<] [url<]https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/ethernet/amd/xgbe[/url<] Granted, it's not widely used or widely known (and is lacking features found in some other NICs like SR-IOV) but it does exist. It's possible AM4 doesn't have enough pins to implement it without disabling something else. As Goty points out, they only really make a thing of it for the V1000 chips currently: [url<]http://www.amd.com/Documents/V1000-Family-Product-Brief.pdf[/url<]

• chuckula

He was downthumbed for being blatantly wrong.

By no means whatsoever “are two 10Gb ethernet controllers on every Zen die”. That’s flat out incorrect.

The segmented APU parts that are used in embedded have a couple of 10-Gbit ethernet controllers slapped in (it’s nothing special, I could get an Atom from last year with twice as many integrated in the die), but the standard Zen dies that 99% of people around here care about do not have any integrated ethernet and his statement was flat out wrong.

• Goty

Oh, you sure got me there, Chucky! I can only confirm that the V1000 parts and the Raven Ridge die used in the Ryzen APUs use exactly the same die. Too bad that doesn’t invalidate the actual point I was making. Whatever makes you feel better, though!

• Goty

I got downvoted by the full fury of chuckula because he can’t handle in a mature manner the fact that people might disagree with him from time to time.

• ronch

My previous laptop had an Intel CPU and an AMD GPU. They totally hated each other’s guts, which resulted in long shutdowns.