G.Skill takes eight sticks of DDR4 to 4266 MT/s on X299

One way to get gobs of memory bandwidth is to ramp up the transfer rate to ridiculous levels. Alternatively, you could adopt a platform with more memory channels. In the words of Old El Paso, ¿por qué no los dos? G.Skill would like to help you along the path toward cresting the 128GB/sec memory bandwidth mark, and to assist in such endeavors, it's offering up 64-GB kits composed of eight 8-GB modules running at 4266 MT/s.

Obviously, an 8×8-GB memory kit isn't news, and neither would be a 4266 MT/s kit. Keeping your RAM running at such high speeds when you're using all eight slots is a much greater challenge, though. Experienced gerbils won't be surprised to read that the new RAM requires some fairly loose timings. However, even with 18 cycles of CAS latency, this RAM is still quite a bit lower latency than, say, DDR4 at 2666 MT/s with CAS 15.

The new RAM will be available in G.Skill's Trident Z Royal series (as pictured above), or if you're allergic to bling, as Trident Z RGB instead. To be clear, G.Skill promotes the RAM for use only with Intel's X299 platform. You can surely put it in a Threadripper machine, but don't expect to get the full speed out of it. If you've got a Core i9 Extreme and a thirst for memory throughput, look out for these new kits in March.

• cynan
    • 11 months ago

Wow! Those DIMMs run so hot that G.Skill decided it was necessary to build ice packs into the heat spreaders for sufficient cooling. Though keeping your ram in the freezer when not in use must be a bit of a pita. And just think of the condensation problems… You’d think they would have gone with some form of active cooling instead.

• Bobs_Your_Uncle
    • 11 months ago

Looks like it could be marketed as G.Skill G.Ucci Memory … (and it makes me G.Agg, even without RGB).

• strangerguy
    • 11 months ago

What’s going to be the minimum CPU VCCSA and VCCIO for 4266MHz? Its seem like every mobo auto-overvolts both to the moon when XMP is on, and AFAIK for those Intel has never released max acceptable voltages or endorsed anything above stock values, making safe long term operation at such high voltages rather questionable.

• moose17145
    • 11 months ago

Looks like a nice kit and all as far as specifications go….

But visually… this is perhaps the guadiest and least attractive set of DIMMs I have ever seen.

Probably does not help that I am not really a fan of the way Gold looks to begin with. More of a silver type of person.

• NTMBK
      • 11 months ago

For real. It might as well have MAGA printed on the side.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 11 months ago

He made a comment about a heat spreader and you turned it into an opportunity to bring up politics. Smh

Were you on furlough or a unique precipitate from the clouds?

• SirReptitious
      • 11 months ago

Well you are in luck! Because the GSkill Royale comes in both gold AND silver flavors. But don’t worry, the silver one is still very gaudy too, not to mention expensive. 😉

• techguy
    • 11 months ago

Would love to see a 4x32GB kit of ~3000 DDR4 for < $1000. Would go nice with my “new” de-lidded 7960x and X299 Dark board (1 DIMM per channel = 4 DIMM slots). Too bad DRAM manufacturers think that enthusiasts only care about clock speed and bling. I’m not saying there isn’t a market for the G.Skill kit in this news post, only that as an X299 user it doesn’t interest me.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 11 months ago

Are you into under volting at stock clocks or high overclocks? I’ve read some reviews with the 7980xe under volted and the decrease in power consumption was more than I expected. Nice CPU, bro.

• techguy
        • 11 months ago

Thanks. I like to push OCs as far as I can while maintaining stability. I got a “golden sample” 7700k when Kaby Lake launched that does 5.2GHz at 1.38V with no AVX offset.

I just got this board and chip today (upgrading from a 7900x and an Asrock X299 board) so I haven’t tested the potential yet – hoping for 4.5GHz or so on all 16 cores with no AVX offset. We’ll see how much voltage it needs though, I don’t plan on going higher than 1.3V with this chip since I bought it to do 24×7 duty in my Plex server hopefully for several years. I would’ve been tempted to buy the W-3175X and an X599 board if Intel launched at “only” ~$4000, so this is actually saving me money.

• shaq_mobile
          • 11 months ago

Oooh man what do you lift with that power? That sounds awesome.

• freebird
      • 11 months ago

Yeah and I’d love to see a unicorn pumping out nuggets of gold all over my back yard…but neither is in our near future.

I had to “settle” for 4x16GB of 3000Ghz @ CL14-14-14 for ~$440 back in April of 2017 and it might be 2020 before those prices reappear.

• Goty