FSP’s CMT340 is a modest tower with major luminescence

FSP Group is famous for its quality (and sometimes quirky) power supplies. Did you know the company also sells a whole line of computer cases? Me neither, but as it turns out, the CMT340 is only the latest in a lineage of computer cases. This new model is similar to a few other cases we've seen in that it has tempered-glass windows on the front and side to allow its four included RGB LED fans to shine through.

The four fans are connected to an included lighting controller that has six fan connectors in total. A switch on the front of the case allows you to cycle through 20 different lighting modes. If you prefer, you can instead hook it up to your motherboard's addressable lighting connector to synchronize all six connected fans to the rest of your LED-encrusted hardware.

As a full-ATX mini-tower case, the CMT340 is relatively trim at 35L. There's no 5.25" bay up front, so you've got the full interior space of the case for your parts. That leaves room for graphics cards up to 13.8" long (35cm) and CPU coolers up to 6.3" tall (16cm). Of course, to shrink the case down from the 50+ liters of typical desktop towers, something had to go. In the CMT340, it was storage space: Two 3.5" bays and two 2.5" mounts are all you get.

To be fair, that should probably do it—especially given the proliferation of M.2 storage these days. Fan accommodations are similar; aside from the four pre-installed fans, you can put two more 120- or 140-mm fans in the top. Folks who prefer water cooling can put radiators up to 240 mm in the top and up to 360 mm in the front. In fact, FSP says the CMT340 is the "world's smallest mid-tower chassis that can fit a 360-mm radiator."

If you like the mix of understated exterior and exuberant lighting, FSP says the CMT340 is available now—although we couldn't find it at U.S. e-tail. When it does come around, FSP says the case should go for a cool hundred bucks.

• 10 months ago

Three 120mm fans up front with enough breathing room for a single 80mm fan at best.

This case design needs to die and every single site or youtuber that I can think of with a review of these stupid things comes to the same conclusion; if you cover up your fans they are utterly pointless.

BuT tHoSe FaNs LoOk ToTaLlY rAd

• 10 months ago

A full coverage RGBLED array would [b<]LoOk EvEn MoRe ToTaLlY rAd[/b<] and provide just as much airflow (none whatsoever).

• 10 months ago

I wasn’t disagreeing with you or anything, just to be clear.

• 10 months ago

I know, I was just wishing that if they’re gonna use fans purely for RGBLED decoration, they could do something more RGBLED and less fan πŸ˜‰

• 10 months ago

Oh that’s totally fair. Separate RGB means I can leave them out entirely, too. πŸ˜‰

• 10 months ago

Now you’re talking my language!

• Shinare
    • 10 months ago

No 5.25 inch drive bay? Dammit, another cool looking case that I can’t put my Quantum BigFoot drive in to. >:(

• JustAnEngineer
      • 10 months ago

The last 5ΒΌ” half-height drive that I owned was probably a Seagate ST296N in my Amiga 2000.

• 10 months ago

I stopped plugging my 5.25 floppy drives into new builds because they didn’t have RGBLED but at least the Floppy-to-serial-to-USB-to-thunderbolt-to-WiFi-to-Office365 adapter lets me hide it in the next room as still access my BBC Acorn games.

I feel it’s a good compromise without really giving up on what’s important in modern computing.

• DPete27
    • 10 months ago

That tiny gap around the edges of the front tempered glass panel?…..Pass.

• Waco
      • 10 months ago

I mean, I can think of better ways to choke the fans of airflow…but that’s up there on the ways I’d do it.

• Voldenuit
      • 10 months ago

It does look like the Walmart gaming PC, which was starved for air because there wasn’t enough gap for efficient intake.

• Anonymous Coward
        • 10 months ago

It’s no wind tunnel, but isn’t it just as stupid to have a case with gratuitous airflow as a case with flashy LED fans? How many watts is any prospective owner going to need to vent anyway? I suspect this case has all the airflow it needs, until you get to multi-GPU and big overclocking… or threadripper etc.

Lets not be specification snobs here.

• Waco
          • 10 months ago

Gratuitous airflow is pretty much required for non-blower style GPU coolers and high wattage CPU coolers. If you just circulate around hot air you’ve got a pretty good case (ha, get it?) for overheating and throttling.

• Anonymous Coward
            • 10 months ago

Dunno, looks to me like that gap is as wide as a classic USB port, multiply that by the whole height and width and I think it allows a reasonable amount of space for the needed air to be sucked through.

• Waco
            • 10 months ago

That’s not much gap. Fans lose a lot of efficiency very quickly when they’re restricted like that (you can measure it pretty easily too – I bet they run faster with the panel on).

• Anonymous Coward
            • 10 months ago

Yeah they’ll not be the most efficient 12cm fans, but three full 12cm fans is also an absurd amount of potential airflow. Plus another one in the back, and the PSU, and that huge vented top surface. I don’t know how much hardware it would take to heat up the inside of the case, but its gotta be substantial.

I’d generally prefer a case with a somewhat restricted dust-ingress path, really. Thats how my current machines all are. Not the fastest or newest hardware of course. My main complaint here is that those three front fans might put enough velocity on the airflow to carry significant dust all the way inside the case.

• Techonomics
    • 10 months ago

I really like this shortened form factor and hope more case manufacturers experiment with it.

There is so much dead space in the average case these days, even new cases. HDDs and optical drives are legacy, and anyone building (or upgrading) their PC generally wants or needs neither of these. And if so, most will just connect an external drive.

As long as the case can accommodate a max length GPU, I want those front fans cuddling my board nice and close.

• Voldenuit
      • 10 months ago

I have no need for an optical drive, but I have 32 TB of HDD space in my desktop and another 32 TB in a NAS.

Position and number of 3.5″ HDD bays is one of the priorities I look for when shopping for a case.

• JustAnEngineer
        • 10 months ago

I’m in the process of migrating files to a new NAS with the idea of removing most or all of the spinning disks from my desktop. With 2 TB SSDs available for not much over $200, this may be an option for more folks.

My Steam library is large, but it’s easy enough to move games between different file locations within Steam – one on the SSD for games that I’m actually playing with some regularity and one on the NAS for the rest of them.

• Khali
      • 10 months ago

Just started building my next system and it will have an optical drive in it. Just because you don’t have a use for one doesn’t mean no one does. Oh look, I have two HDD’s that will go into that system as well.

• Techonomics
        • 10 months ago

Okay, good for you? I said “generally” and “most,” not “no one.”

Personally, I haven’t used HDDs in years. For optical, it’s probably been a decade. The vast majority of PC cases fit your needs, so I’m not sure why you’re ac ting so personally affronted.

While this particular case doesn’t suit my tastes, I appreciate they’re experimenting with a different form.