National Shower with a Friend Day Shortbread

Not technically a shower, but definitely a friend.

PC hardware and computing

1. Scythe Katana 5 review: compact CPU air cooler for under $30 @ PC Perspective
  2. Corsair SF450 (2018) 450W SFX power supply review @ HardOCP
  3. Acer Predator X27 review @ Hexus
  4. Acer Predator Helios 300 gaming laptop review @ KitGuru
  5. Swiftech H240 X3 AIO review @ TechPowerUp
  6. The Supermicro C9Z390-PGW motherboard review: the Z390 board with PLX and 10GbE @ AnandTech

Games, culture, and VR

1. NVIDIA's A.I. thinks it knows what games are supposed look like @ HackADay
  2. YouTube is trying to prevent angry mobs from abusing "dislike" button @ Ars Technica
  3. Arduboy brings new life to Dreamcast VMU @ HackADay (ok, this is super cute)

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. High-style ball balancing platform @ HackADay (when can I buy one?)
  2. Digital exchange loses $137 million as founder takes passwords to the grave @ Ars Technica
  3. Teenager who found FaceTime bug will be eligible for bug bounty program  @ Slashdot

Science, technology, and space news

1. Fossil fats reveal how complex life kicked off after Snowball Earth phase @ New Atlas
  2. Forget the Super Bowl, SpaceX just fired its Mars rocket engine @ Ars Technica
  3. NASA puts a lid on InSight's Mars seismometer @ New Atlas (scientists who use the word "bugaboos" are the best kind of scientists)

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. Costco selling wedding cake made of 24 pounds of artisan cheese @ fox8.com
  2. We tried 20 store-bought mac and cheese brands to determine which is the best (and the absolute worst) @ washingtonpost.com
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• UberGerbil

[url<]https://i.imgur.com/Vtp7H.jpg[/url<]

• Mr Bill
      • 9 months ago

I had to wash my cat once after it tipped a jar of molasses on itself. It was perfectly happy to be washed under the tub faucet after being soaked with molasses.

• UberGerbil
        • 9 months ago

Part of it is the temperature. When I was a little kid I sometimes took my cat into the bath with me — as long as the water was hot (almost too hot for me) and there were no soap suds to get in its eyes, it didn’t mind splashing around or even swimming (it could jump out if it wanted to, but usually didn’t). A lot of the time cats are not objecting to the bath so much as the temperature of the water. And some have had bad experiences, of course. And, it’s true, some just hate it.

• ronch
    • 9 months ago

Hey who wants to take a shower with Chuckula?

• K-L-Waster

#CannotUnsee

• NovusBogus
    • 9 months ago

[quote<]Digital exchange loses $137 million as founder takes passwords to the grave @ Ars Technica[/quote<] One of these days cryptocurrency will finally shed the idiots and hucksters and go back to being the fulcrum of a nerdy underground economy like it was meant to be. One can dream, anyway.

• UberGerbil
      • 9 months ago

“Underground economy” is inherently catnip to hucksters, the hare-brained, and criminals. The only way you shed those kinds of people is by eliminating one of the two words in “underground economy.”

• NTMBK

That’s a good dog.

• morphine

The goodest of bois.

• Mr Bill
      • 9 months ago

Dogs and cats look so skinny when soaked.

• UberGerbil

[url<]https://i.imgur.com/TIZqjUH.jpg[/url<]

• Mr Bill

Doh!

• Krogoth
    • 9 months ago

Supermicro C9Z390-PGW is a boarded suited for Coffee Lake R if you don’t need tons of memory bandwidth.

It is a great side-grade for a potential Skylake-X LCC + X299 customer.

• MOSFET
      • 9 months ago

That is one awesome Z390 mobo. It better be for $349 (which validates your point about X299 sidegrade w/ less memory).

i219-V
      Aquantia AQ107
      i9560
      ALC1220
      PLX

small example of the awesomeness

• shaq_mobile
    • 9 months ago

Gotta disagree with the Mac and cheese reviews. Velveeta tastes good for about three seconds into you realize that you already feel like a worse person. Eating Velveeta is the number one cause of moral corruption in America.

• techguy

Go back to France.

• Krogoth

^^^^^

This

Velveeta is cesspool-tier for cheeses. You might as well eat straight lard/fat.

• Growler
        • 9 months ago

It’s also why Tex-Mex is an abomination to proper Mexican food.

• willmore
      • 9 months ago

Kraft is owned by Phillip Morris, so anything you gain in taste you lose double in karma.

• TurtlePerson2
        • 9 months ago

Kraft isn’t owned by Phillip Morris. It was spun off more than 10 years ago.

• chuckula
      • 9 months ago

I make my own mac-n-cheese sauce with my sous vide and some melting salts.

• willmore

melting salts?

• chuckula
          • 9 months ago

Lookup sodium citrate and sodium hexametaphosphate sometime.
          I can make completely non-lumpy/gritty cheese sauce with it (awesome for nachos too).

• cynan
            • 9 months ago

You do realize that regular old sodium chloride is highly soluble. If your sauce is gritty, I advise adding less silicon dioxide (i.e., maybe check your dishwasher?)

• chuckula
            • 9 months ago

Cheese sauces that seize up are a well-known problem that is directly related to the fat and water content of the cheese itself along with milk and other elements of the sauce. The melting salts act as emulsifiers.

• cynan
            • 9 months ago

Not contesting the “lumpy” (nor the use of sodium citrate as a buffering agent/emulsifier). Only the “gritty” – hardly a functional descriptor for denatured cheese protein clumps.

From Mariam-Webster.com

Definition of gritty
            1 : containing or resembling grit

Definition of grit
            1a : SAND, GRAVEL
            b : a hard sharp granule (as of sand)
            also : material (as many abrasives) composed of such granules

• drfish
            • 9 months ago

“Gritty” is an accepted culinary term for the phenomenon being described.

• cynan
            • 9 months ago

Good gastronomy is no excuse for illiteracy!

• Brainsan
            • 9 months ago

Yes, sodium citrate makes for WONDERFUL nachos!

• drfish
            • 9 months ago

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Citrate-Excellent-Creating-Spherification/dp/B00D393SVS/<]OMG[/url<]. I think my life has changed forever.

• chuckula
            • 9 months ago

True story: Mrs. Chuckula, who normally eats pretty healthy, is a big fan of that nasty fake nacho cheese sauce you get at sporting events. This way, I can make a nacho sauce that’s just as smooth but made from much higher quality ingredients and no neon-orange artificial color.

• Redocbew
            • 9 months ago

If there’s a better way to prove that science is awesome I don’t know what it is.

• Srsly_Bro
            • 9 months ago

Thought you were in a committed relationship with Intel???

• willmore
            • 9 months ago

$30 and two orders from Amazon later and I’m thinking of making cheese sauce tonight…

• shaq_mobile
        • 9 months ago

You can’t just say stuff like that and not give us a recipe. 🙂

• chuckula

Fair enough.
          I’ll post in the forums.

• cynan
      • 9 months ago

[quote<]Take normal Kraft Mac, grate cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan into it, add fresh black pepper, a touch of cayenne. Add macaroni pasta. Hold the Kraft Mac [/quote<] FTFY.

• shaq_mobile
        • 9 months ago

Honestly I like the cheese powder flavor with them. It adds a sharpness that American cheddar, mozzarella, and parm don’t bring.

• 9 months ago

As a European with a love and appreciation of the various ‘proper’ cheeses I have easy access to, I still like rubbish American cheese.

Here are my top ten cheeses in order:

[list<][*<]Creamy French Brie. [/*<][*<]Camembert, ideally of the variety that stinks out the fridge and is almost liquid. [/*<][*<][b<]Generic American squirty 'cheese' (not actually cheese) in a plastic squeezy bottle.[/b<] [/*<][*<]Blue Stilton [/*<][*<]Aged Gouda [/*<][*<]Manchego [/*<][*<][b<]Those processed yellow American 'cheese' squares you put in burgers (Velveeta? FDA says 'not cheese')[/b<] [/*<][*<]Stinking Bishop [/*<][*<]Cornish Jarg [/*<][*<][b<]La Vache Qui Rit[/b<] [/*<] [/list<] Items in bold are culturally offensive to proper cheese artisans but I don't care because they make me happy.

• Wirko
        • 9 months ago

[quote<]Camembert, ideally of the variety that stinks out the fridge and is almost liquid[/quote<] Age matters as much as variety. Observe the "best before" date. That's actually the "never open before" date. Also, if you can, store the cheese at the upper end of the allowed temperature range. If it's too cold, it will dry out and become the opposite of what you described.

• MOSFET
        • 9 months ago

[quote<]Generic American squirty 'cheese' (not actually cheese) in a plastic squeezy bottle.[/quote<] That's so American that we don't even have that in America!

• MOSFET
          • 9 months ago

Although it sounds like you mean ballpark cheese, which is gross yet I love it. Usually that comes in a 4 gallon metal bag, for dispensers. (F U Gehl’s)

• davidbowser
            • 9 months ago

That was what came to my mind too. The liquid warm cheese you get on at ballparks or sometimes movie theaters that have “nacho” cheese (I don’t think it is actually cheese) with chips.

• 9 months ago

All of the above. Warm liquid ‘cheese flavour’ goo that comes with fast food is what I mean. Ballpark/Deli/Cheez Whiz seem to fit the bill.

Nothing goes better with junk food than junk condiments, and I love cheese-flavoured condiments on my junk food.

• UberGerbil
          • 9 months ago

Perhaps Chrispy_ means [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Cheese<]Easy Cheese[/url<] or [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez_Whiz<]Cheez Whiz[/url<]?

• shaq_mobile
        • 9 months ago

American cheese has it’s place. I think it’s the best cheese for burgers and you can pull off some quirky stuff with it. A “good” American deli cheese is irreplaceable on a burger.

Velveeta, to me, is a significantly different flavor. It seems harshly salty and has a strange fattiness to it that makes turns me off. It’s like the spray can cheese where it’s tasty for about 2 bites then it’s unpalatable.

I’m def not against cheap and easy foods. I’m just against ones that make me feel suicidal.

• wizardz
      • 9 months ago

ah, i see you are a man (or woman) of culture as well 🙂

then add some diced roasted mild italian sausages.

or for the kids, a couple of cut hotdog weiners.

• shaq_mobile
    • 9 months ago

Lol YouTube is just mad that their rewind was bad.

• NovusBogus
      • 9 months ago

This just in: social media sites with downvote buttons get exploited to trolls, demagogues, and hooligans until said sites get broken up into a large collection of belligerent echo chambers. In other news, water has been found to be wet and leading scientists speculate that the sky is blue.

• ET3D
        • 9 months ago

I’m so tempted to downvote this.

• Srsly_Bro