Friday deals: Ryzen 5 2600 for $150, Surface Pro 6 $200 off, and more

Greetings, good gerbils. I'm in the process of speccing out a home theater PC so that I can make more frequent use of the big-ass TV I have in the living room. I occasionally plug my laptop into it, but it's often a pain in the neck to connect the cables and deal with oddities like automatic video brightness compensation and whatnot. It's high time to fix this issue, and I'm always happy to order new hardware for a good cause. Speaking of exactly that task, here's today's selection of deals.

• Our leading deal today is a popular chip: the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor. Underneath its heatspreader lie six Zen+ cores ticking away at 3.9 GHz, next to 16 MB of L3 cache. This CPU is one of the best values of the moment—moreso today because it's selling for just $149.99 at the good ol' Amazon, and also at Walmart. If you're into overclocking, a slight turn of the virtual screwdriver can easily significantly boost the chip's performance.

• How about some nice RAM to go with the chip above? The Adata XPG Gammix D10 16-GB kit of 3000 MT/s sticks come clad in shiny silver heatsinks and have CL16-18-18 timings. Rakuten is asking for a mere $80.74 for the kit right now if you use checkout code AD14. If you're building a system with an eye towards multicolored lighting, the similarly appointed Adata XPG Spectrix D41 16-GB kit at 3000 MT/s with RGB LED lighting will set you back only $89.24 at Rakuten with the checkout code AD16.

• You don't want to be caught  building a system in a cheapo case. What you're looking for is something like the Antec P110 Luce. This quiet, roomy enclosure has room for 360-mm radiators and most every cooling setup under the sun. We gave this case an Editor's Choice when we took a look at it, and we're happy to report that it's currently selling for just $84.99 at Newegg with cart code ANTECFEB15. There's a $20 rebate card to go on top of that, too.

• For our final items today, we collected a sweet pair of portables. The first one is the Surface Pro 6. I own one of the earlier models, and I'm super happy with it. The form factor with the integrated kickstand makes for quite the convenient machine, and the 2736×1824 high-res display has fantastic color accuracy. The Microsoft Store is shaving $200 off the price of the entire Surface Pro 6 lineup right now. Get yours today.

• For a convertible of another feather, check out the Lenovo Yoga 730. This machine has a 13.3" 1920×1080 touch display and will literally bend over backwards for you. Inside, there's an Intel Core i5-8250U processor sitting next to 8 GB of RAM and a 256-GB NVMe SSD. A Thunderbolt 3 port stands ready for connecting high-speed peripherals or external displays. Best Buy will ship you one of these for just $629.99.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• kvndoom
    • 6 months ago

Nice to see memory reasonable again. If I was where I wanted to be right now I’d start buying parts for my next PC. I guess the silver lining is knowing that most of this stuff will be even cheaper next year.

• ronch
    • 6 months ago

That 3.9GHz is just the 2600’s turbo speed, and I doubt it runs all 6 cores that fast. Well, maybe sometimes, in short bursts. But even if it isn’t all 6 cores I think it won’t be long before it exceeds the 65w power limit and things need to simmer down.

• OptimumSlinky
      • 6 months ago

Depends on your cooling. I run my 1500X at 3.9 GHz on all cores with a Hyper D92 and max load temps are around 60 C. With a better HSF, I could see a 2600 doing the same pretty easily.

• ronch
        • 6 months ago

If you overclock it, yes. But left alone the CPU will try not to exceed the 65w TDP, I’d expect.

• 6 months ago

1500X is a quad-core CPU, though. So it might be a little less optimized, but it’s only doing 2/3 of the work.

• BobbinThreadbare
      • 6 months ago

AMD’s TDP is not a power limit.

• ronch
        • 6 months ago

I believe Ryzen has a built-in configurable TDP limit. This is shown in Ryzen Mobile chips where the nominal TDP is, say, 15w, but you can go down to 12w or up to 25w. Those are specific figures preprogrammed into the power control unit similar to the one used by Intel.

• gmskking
    • 6 months ago

The Antec P110 Luce is a really nice case. I am using this particular case for my newest build and I have no complaints.

• MOSFET
      • 6 months ago

Much better looking than the 3-RGB-up-front designs of late.

• leor
    • 6 months ago

8gb of RAM and 256gb storage needs to go away. It’s an obvious money grab to display the price of a machine hundreds less than a usable (for a long term machine) config. I was looking at the surface pro deal to go from a 512 gb drive to a 1tb is 400 dollars!!! I just bought a 2tb PCI-e NVME drive for 250 dollars, and of course it’s all non user upgradable.

• rnalsation
      • 6 months ago

It could always be worse. I saw an ASUS laptop ship with an i5 and only 4GB of RAM because it had 16GB Optane Memory…

• Shobai
        • 6 months ago

Over here they’re advertised as having “20GB MEMORY!” …

• chµck

8/256 is plenty for a netbook/travel replacement

• UberGerbil
        • 6 months ago

I agreed. I still see a lot of 4/128 machines, and those are definitely too small. But for a lot of people, and especially if it’s not your main machine, 8/256 is fine. I personally have a Surface Pro 3 in that configuration and haven’t run out of disk space or felt constrained by the RAM in my ordinary use of it — and I’m someone who upgraded to 32GB on my desktop a couple of years back because 16GB wasn’t enough. But I have that desktop for the heavy lifting; for travel and basic Office / VS Code work on the go, 8/256 is fine.

• sweatshopking
          • 6 months ago

I have a 128gb surface pro. i’m using 35GB. i have a 64GB sd card where i keep documents synced from onedrive. the rest of it is empty and will remain so. there is literally nothing i’d put on it.

• Redocbew
            • 6 months ago

If that 35GB includes the install of windows, then that sounds like a very minimal install. I could probably get by with using 128GB of storage, but I’d rather have 256. I’m using 231GB on this machine right now, but that’s including two windows VMs.

• sweatshopking
            • 6 months ago

it does include. i honestly don’t know what else to install on a mobile machine for work. I’ve got office, few other utilities, and then everything else is on onedrive

• Redocbew
            • 6 months ago

If it works for you, cool. Less stuff means fewer things to reinstall when something dies. My Win10 VM is about 50-ish GB, and the only things I have on it are visual studio plus a few other dev tools.

• BobbinThreadbare
          • 6 months ago

I don’t see how people need > 256GM of storage without running games or doing some very specific thing that needs lots of storage like video editing or smth.

• Usacomp2k3
            • 6 months ago

Especially if it’s not their own PC.

• homerdog
      • 6 months ago

8GB is sufficient for most things and you typically shouldn’t store massive amounts of data on a laptop anyway for obvious reasons.

• 6 months ago

For most people 8/256 is plenty. Most folks are editing office docs, not building huge projects.

• leor
        • 6 months ago

It’s ok today depending on what you do, how’s it going to look in 2-3 years?

I’m not trying to spend 1700 dollars on something for “light computing” that will choke on whatever computing looks like in 2021.

• 6 months ago

This is a $600 machine. For 2-3 years it’s fine.

Edit: i mean teh Lenovo.

The Surface Pro for 8/256 is more, but it’s got other stuff going for it. The display, all that glue holding it together.

• tacitust
          • 6 months ago

Is there anything on the horizon that would cause today’s laptops to choke in 2021? Outside of video games, I can’t think of anything. My Thinkpad T430 is five years old and with the additional of an SSD upgrade is still perfectly fine for all the office and home applications I use it for, and I fully expect to be using it two years from now if it holds together physically.

So, unless you’re a gamer, then perhaps the biggest concern is filling up your hard drive over time, but with cheap cloud storage becoming ubiquitous, that’s not really a factor of the capabilities of the machine, it’s more to do with how disciplined you are in keeping your local storage in order.

• Redocbew
            • 6 months ago

As far as I know there isn’t. If a machine from two to three years ago would do fine as an office machine today(which it does), then I can’t think of any reason why a machine that’s new today would be inadequate two to three years from now. Of course it’ll probably get saddled with some kind of bloatware which may cause its own set of problems, but that’s not really a hardware thing.

As you said, so long as you’re not gaming, or you don’t try to turn on all the things while you’re gaming, then I don’t see a reason why these machines wouldn’t do the job.

• Wirko
          • 6 months ago

8/256 will still be sufficient in 2021. I’d worry more about the CPU.

• Concupiscence
      • 6 months ago

My wife’s new Surface Pro has me thinking about getting a tablet, but I’m waiting for falling RAM and SSD prices to be reflected on the market more directly. If someone releases a solid Zen 2 tablet, I’d be happy to grab one with 16GB RAM/512GB SSD… That’d suit my needs for years.

• TurtlePerson2
      • 6 months ago

I think a 256 GB hard drive will suffice for most people. Unless you’re working with a lot of photos or videos, it’s just not necessary to have as much storage as it once was.

• Usacomp2k3
        • 6 months ago

I have 256gb on my work laptop and it’s more than enough for everything I do. We had 128gb in our home desktop up until a few months ago and everything else was stored on the NAS.

• OptimumSlinky
      • 6 months ago

Cloud storage is becoming more and more popular, so most people just roll with a 256 GB and then upload the bulk of data to OneDrive or Dropbox or what have you.