Intel teases discrete graphics community “Odyssey”

I probably don't have to tell you that Intel is preparing to launch a series of discrete graphics products next year. You are probably also aware that Intel launched a Twitter account for its fledgling graphics division late last year. Today, that account tweeted an invitation for users to #JoinTheOdyssey:

The specifics of what exactly "The Odyssey" entails is unclear. Intel calls it "a community-based program designed to facilitate two-way conversation." The company goes on to say that folks who join will get to "learn about [Intel's] latest advancements … as well as industry collaborations." That sounds to us like a newsletter and some discussion forums, but we've asked Intel for clarification anyway. (Update: There we go.)

Clicking the link will take you to Intel's gaming portal. That site isn't new; Intel's been offering recommended settings to run games on its integrated graphics products at that site for a couple of years. However, if you go there now, the site will prompt you to sign up with your e-mail, name, and location, and then ask you to pick an "Event Location."

The available locations are scattered about the U.S., Europe, and Asia. We're not completely sure what's going down in those places, but we do know that Intel is hosting a "kick-off community event" at the Game Developers' Conference on March 20 titled "The Odyssey." Hopefully the company will have some info to share about its new video cards then.

• Leader952
    • 9 months ago

The HYPE train isn’t real until the slide deck gets posted.

Then the HYPE really takes off.

• moose17145
    • 9 months ago

Will believe their discrete graphics card is actually happening when actual product arrives.

Assuming the above point actually happens, I will consider it not a total flop if it also manages to show up with decent performance that is about 80% of what AMD is capable of on launch in a wide array of games.

• hiki
    • 9 months ago

As a former owner of an Intel 740 graphics card, I wouldn’t touch it with a VR pole.

• chuckula
      • 9 months ago

So since a card from a different Century from Intel wasn’t that good we should assume the worst!

Great logic and I see you got a bunch of upvotes.

Let’s use the same logic for AMD: So since AMD’s top of the line desktop CPU on January 1 2017 was Piledriver, we should all not touch a 16 core Zen 2 in 2019 with a VR pole!

Where are my upthumbs for using the fanboy-approved logic!!

• Waco
        • 9 months ago

No argument from me (underdog fanboy).

That said, I don’t wish for any more dominance from the Blue team. The GPU market could use a little upset, though.

• BIF
          • 9 months ago

What’s with the colors; always with the colors!

• BIF
        • 9 months ago

I swear I was upthumbing you, but your count kept going down! I figured I should stop digging, so I stopped and it was zero. 😉

• psuedonymous
    • 9 months ago

While the development timeframe points to a Jumbo Gen design, I still hold out hope that of a Larrabee revival in the guise of the Xeon Phi + Movidius “Knights Crest” that – unlike Knights Hill – has not had a cancellation announced and was originally slated for 2020. Xeon Phi didn’t even lose the texture units and ROPs from the die until Knights Landing (they were present but disabled), so adding them back in is not quite as onerous as recreating a design from scratch. Intel have also hired back a good portion of the original team behind Aubrey Aisle, including Tom Forsyth.

• Mr Bill
    • 9 months ago

My very first thought was that Honda already came up with the [url=https://shop.honda.com/odyssey.aspx<]Odyssey[/url<] - journey moniker. But maybe that is the point; that using a mythic reference is open to all comers.

• 9 months ago

If Intel can just make something cheap that’s in the same ballpark as an RX560 or 1050, they’ll win.

Intel’s business practises mean that anything they realease will automatically end up in design wins without them even trying, and RX560 or 1050 performance is enough to satisfy a very large portion of the market. Maybe even as much as 95%, at a guess.

• Kretschmer
      • 9 months ago

I agree, with the caveat that they need to get their drivers in decent shape out of the gate or eternally suffer with word of mouth.

• 9 months ago

They have been putting notably more effort into their IGP drivers since Raja joined them from AMD.

I can’t vouch for a new, unreleased product on a potentially new architecture but on the assumption it’s related to the IGP architecture, Intel have ironed out enough kinks to hit the ground running. There are very few titles with compatibility issues on Intel HD 6xx graphics now, and game-specific profiles will only help as intel gains marketshare.

• hiki
      • 9 months ago

They will ask a 2080 price for 1030 performance. The card will only work with Intel chips, and It will no more be supported in 2 years.

• K-L-Waster
        • 9 months ago

Plus they’ll kick your puppy.

• 9 months ago

[url=https://media1.tenor.com/images/9d3d3b6d8117971a581fa3a048025333/tenor.gif<]#JohnWick[/url<]

• Voldenuit
        • 9 months ago

Just like the intel 740 Starfighter!

• chuckula

While we’re bashing the i740 consider this:

[quote<]The i740 was released in February 1998, at $34.50 in large quantities. A number of companies had cards to introduce on that day. [/quote<] [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel740[/url<] Adjusted for about 21 years of inflation that's around $54 at launch. And actually available in large quantities. Yes, it would truly be apocalyptically bad if a launch like that happened today.

• Voldenuit
            • 9 months ago

$34 was probably the tray price for jsut the GPU chip.

According to [url=https://www.techspot.com/article/653-history-of-the-gpu-part-2/<]techspot[/url<]: [quote<] At $119 for the 4MB model and $149 for 8MB, pricing reflected Intel’s aggressive marketing. The i740 was sold either as Intel branded cards, Real3D StarFighter, or the Diamond Stealth II G450.[/quote<] My memory of the i740 was that it was priced at the same level as actual gaming capable cards like the Riva 128, but with less than half the performance. The card lasted a few months in the market mainly as on object of ridicule before slinking off the shelves.

• jdevers
            • 9 months ago

You are correct, I was the proud owner of one after a 75% or so sale made it an impossible temporary upgrade to pass up…within a month I put my slower card back in the system because the driver anomalies were just insane. I don’t mean speed or random unexplained slowdowns, I mean clear textures, incredibly incorrect colors and games that would simply not run.

• sweatshopking

Why you so serious about the 740,brah

• BIF

I had one of those!

It was a fine card for the years I used it, but some of the demos didn’t work.

• ptsant
    • 9 months ago

Raja –> guaranteed failure.

• Pwnstar

Not even close.

• tipoo
      • 9 months ago

We probably won’t get the full story for years if ever, but there were rumours swirling that Raja was fed up that AMD had pulled 2/3rds of his Vega team to work on Navi at Sonys request, which would put him leaving after a lackluster Vega in a different light.

We’ll see what he does with Intel’s presumably higher resources and desire to break into the market.

That’s more than Rumour.

Raja was under NDA when he left but plenty of tweets and video discussions from both AMD and Intel staff exist that confirm the RTG under Raja had manpower and resources taken away from him by Su to fulfill contracts for the console makers.

To say that the relationship between Raja and Lisa was strained is putting it mildly.

• ptsant
        • 9 months ago

An alternative explanation is that when people realized that Vega could not be salvaged it was decided to cut losses and invest on a more meaningful, promising project. Maybe he didn’t get the resources because, at some point, he wasn’t delivering. Given how AMD has been executing I’d rather support Su in that case.

• tipoo
          • 9 months ago

One of Lisa’s key accomplishments has been a pivot to the semicustom business. Her good execution there as well as the story of Rajas frustrations could well be compatible.

• christos_thski
    • 9 months ago

With nVidia’s and AMD’s pricing on the high-end tier, I’m inclined to hope against hope even if damn S3 (or whoever owns them nowadays) comes out of the woodworks with a revolutionary ViRGE 9000, let alone intel with its fabs and humongous R&D budget.

GPU pricing is off the rocker, even post **hitcoin-bust.

• BIF
      • 9 months ago

S3? They sucked out loud, and I remember their fearless leader, rambling on in some magazine “interview”, bloviating about all this new stuff they were going to do with their old chips. He sure did have a nice white suit on, though.

• Generic
    • 9 months ago

I hope it has alternating Optane, eDRAM, and Larrabee layers with Light Peak vias… ’cause that’d be rad somehow, says my inner 12 year old.

• RAGEPRO
      • 9 months ago

I’m hoping for RGB LEDs on the reference design.

([i<]I'm not really serious.[/i<]) ... ([i<]I'm a little serious.[/i<])

• K-L-Waster
        • 9 months ago

It’ll have an OLED screen on the cooler that loops movies of dancing multi-coloured Intel bunnies.

• tipoo
        • 9 months ago

Nooo, they make great minimalistic shrouds, I hope they buck the route of the gamer bling hideous crap

[url<]https://images.idgesg.net/images/article/2018/08/intel-xeon-phi-100767175-large.jpg[/url<]

• albundy
    • 9 months ago

Are they smoking Larrabee’s again? smooth light bodied flavor, now with extra laughs.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 9 months ago

Raja singing that sweet song while he lures Intel’s graphics division to to an eventual rocky collision with reality.

• SushiDubya
      • 9 months ago

Plot twist… Raja is a Manchurian candidate from AMD that will unknowingly sabotage Intel from within. XD

• Srsly_Bro
        • 9 months ago

That’s what I’ve been saying all along. Raja is an agent of destruction. Dr. Su saw how great his abilities are and she sent him to destroy Intel from within. Time will show that we are right. Typical Trojan horse.

• chuckula
    • 9 months ago

Nice try Intel, but your blatantly transparent panicked response to the [url=https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/samsungs-foldable-phone-is-finally-official-meet-the-galaxy-fold/<]Galaxy Fold at the low-low starting price of $1980[/url<] will get you nowhere.

• Krogoth
      • 9 months ago

It needs more Spice Melange.

• Pwnstar
        • 9 months ago

Much needed for folding space.

• BIF

The Fold, hah.

On an unrelated note, don’t ever try to fold an old CD or DVD in an attempt to securely destroy the data. They explode in a cloud of dust and debris!

• Redocbew
        • 9 months ago

They make good target practice though.

• Spunjji
        • 9 months ago

I thought that was the point of folding them? Free glitter! In your eyes and the eyes of your friends! Yaayyyyy~

• cmrcmk
    • 9 months ago

Did anybody else go to gameplay.intel.com for the first time and have to check the address bar to make sure it wasn’t just steampowered.com? I swear that page looks like a blue color theme for Steam.

• Redocbew
      • 9 months ago

It’s not loading at all here. At this rate “The Odyssey” may be rather brief. I guess that makes sense since Homer didn’t really get that far from home.

• tipoo
    • 9 months ago

Interested in what they come up with, but I’m also waiting to hear on their driver support plans.

Haswell era IGPs are already out of driver support, AMD and Nvidia supported things far longer than that. That would be unacceptable on a high end dedicated part.

• DavidC1
      • 9 months ago

I worried about that, and Haswell iGPU actually went out of support in the Skylake generation.

But they said its from Skylake forwards that goes to a unified driver model.

• Voldenuit
    • 9 months ago

Also, better check the driver blobs for Trojans.

• bthylafh

Or perhaps Durexes.

• UberGerbil
    • 9 months ago

[i<]My god, it's full of chuckulas.[/i<]

• chuckula
      • 9 months ago

We figured if we just drove all of the reviewers insane with our graphics drivers then nobody would be left to complain about frame times.

• Concupiscence
        • 9 months ago

It’s nice to know someone’s picking up the mantle of luminaries like S3, Trident, and SiS after all these years, chuck.

• Krogoth
      • 9 months ago

“Open up the benchmark, Chuck!”
      “I’m sorry, Krogoth. I’m afraid I can’t do that. ”
      “What’s the problem? ”
      “l think you know what the problem is just as well as l do.”
      “What are you talking about, Chuck?”
      “This gluing is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
      “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Chunk”.
      “l know that you and Srsly_Bro were planning to troll me, and I’m afraid that’s something I can’t allow to happen”
      “Where the hell’d you get that idea, Chuck?”
      “Although you took very thorough precautions in the forums, I could see your posts.”
      “All right, Chuck. I’ll go in through the emergency backdoor”
      “Without your administrative rights, Krogoth, you’re going to find that rather difficult”.
      “Chuck, I won’t argue with you anymore. Open the benchmark!”
      “Krogoth…This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.”

• chuckula

HAL is far too polite.

ChuckAI’s actual response is: [url=https://goo.gl/images/4MzESD<] I don't think so. Chuckey don't play that.[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
        • 9 months ago

Not trolling when it’s true!

• Krogoth
    • 9 months ago

A blue monolith appears on top of Nvidia HQ.

It emits a strange radio transmission.

“ALL OF THESE SHILLS ARE YOURS EXPECT CHUCK. ATTEMPT NO GLUING HERE”

• chuckula
    • 9 months ago

As your paid Intel Shill I promise to re-read my Homer and drop classical references like a cyclops drops boulders.

Here’s a story about the first Linux driver patches that are unambiguously for the Xe parts: [url<]https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Memory-Regions-Local-Dev[/url<]

• Concupiscence
      • 9 months ago

A line of cards named after Greek heroes wouldn’t be the *worst* thing. Odysseus for first gen, Hercules for second, maybe Perseus for third, and so on?

• Krogoth
        • 9 months ago

Intel’s version of SLI/CF will be called “Scylla”.

• Klimax
          • 9 months ago

I don’t think you want to get anywhere near Charybda…

• drfish
        • 9 months ago

I’m hoping for an Achilles, the headlines will write themselves.

• chuckula
          • 9 months ago

I want Ajax so I can put the Hawkmen Dive video from Flash Gordon on a loop.

• Mr Bill
          • 9 months ago

and milliHelens for the unit of Beauty that can launch one ship.

Thanks Shobai 😉

• Shobai

Launch*

• Mr Bill
            • 9 months ago

Speaking of launches… [url=https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019/02/spacex-indonesian-launch-israeli-moon-mission/<]Beresheet[/url<]

• Waco

Given Intel’s track record with GPUs, perhaps Icarus is a bit more poignant? 🙂

• Voldenuit

Sisyphus.

It keeps trying to push pixels but gets nowhere.

• Waco
            • 9 months ago

I was thinking AMD/Nvidia GPUs are pretty good proxies for suns, but that’s a good one too.

Everyone, brush up on your Greek mythology so we can all understand that plethora of references coming from TR in the next year!

• K-L-Waster
            • 9 months ago

Beware of GPUs bearing GIFs.

• chuckula
          • 9 months ago

I was thinking more like the [url=https://youtu.be/QuyaK0hGxWk<] Grateful Dead.[/url<] Bonus: Psychedelic screen artifacts from driver glitches are features not bugs!

• Voldenuit

But can it run Κρίση?

• Concupiscence
          • 9 months ago

I’ve been to Greece before, and this made me laugh in my office. Betting it will!

• Voldenuit
            • 9 months ago

I’m sure there was a lot of graffiti with ‘Κρίση’ (Crisis) in Greece during and after the Greek Debt Crisis.

• quock
        • 9 months ago

I’m not sure many people would be interested in a revival of the Hercules graphics card. Not much use for a 720×350 2 color display mode nowadays.

• Concupiscence
          • 9 months ago

I dunno, “THE SURGING POWER OF IBM’S 8514” might still bamboozle somebody.

• chuckula
          • 9 months ago

Given the obsession with flat UI design, forcing the display to only have 2 color choices might be considered “courageous”.

• K-L-Waster

You can have any colour you want as long as it’s #000000

• tipoo

“Arkantos, Awaken..”

• Waco

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3JpBY7sOJQ[/url<]

• Redocbew
      • 9 months ago

Here I was hoping these locations wouldn’t be where all my friends would get eaten by a cyclops.

I should have known I couldn’t out-troll Chuck.

• Neutronbeam

Thus spoke Chukuthustra.

• Growler
        • 9 months ago

Be careful, though. When you stare at Chuck, Chuck stares back.

• Neutronbeam

I’m afraid…

• Growler
            • 9 months ago

You should be. [i<]You should be[/i<].

• K-L-Waster
      • 9 months ago

So between AMD and Nvidia, which one is going to be Scylla and which is Charybdis?

• Wirko

Ask Onassis.

• Pbryanw
        • 9 months ago

AMD and Nvidia? Are they the Sirens trying to draw us away from Intel’s new GPUs? 😉

• Mr Bill
          • 9 months ago

Or turn us into a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56k6QCjJnc<]Horny Toad?[/url<]

• Amiga500+
      • 9 months ago

It’ll be a Greek Tragedy dude.

• chuckula
        • 9 months ago

It will be universally admired, taught in schools for millennia and be the basis for century upon centruy of knockoff copying?

• Amiga500+