Bargain basement: a 32″ 4K display with 95% DCI-P3 coverage for $350 and more

Good afternoon, gerbils. It seems that all the talk lately in tech is about bendy phones that fold over. The screen technology therein is quite fresh, and there are likely to be some growing pains, but it's not hard to envision a future where your phone, tablet, or even perhaps laptop are all the same device. For now, though, there are multiple competing designs, and we'll have to see what the market at large thinks is the best one. While you're mulling over that important question, here are sweet hardware deals for you.

• We being the proceedings today with the largest item in store: the LG 32UD60-B display. LG can't ever come up with a clear product name, but admittedly the specs sheet does the necessary talking, and then some. This monitor measures 32" across its diagonal and has a resolution of 3840×2160. Quite impressively, its color gamut should cover 95% of the rather wide DCI-P3 color space, making it ideal for color-sensitive photo and video work. There's FreeSync support on tap and a height-adjustable stand, to boot. Amazon asks only $349 for this gorgeous display.

• Intel's Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs are quite nice, and the Core i5-9400F (sans IGP) is one of the best mid-range chips you can get your hands on today, thanks to its six cores ticking away at up to 4.1 GHz. It'll slot nicely right into the Asus Prime Z390-P motherboard. This circuit slab has two M.2 slots for hard drives plus an E-key slot, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A ports, and support for sky-high RAM speeds. Newegg will get you both boxes for $289.98, or $40 off the regular combined total.

• If you're chest deep into gaming, you've probably considered the acquisition of a high-end keyboard loaded with all the goodies, like the Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB. This clicker is underpinned by Logitech's Romer-G switches and comes with everything but the kitchen sink: dedicated media keys with a volume roller, three sets of programmable macro keys, a wrist rest, sculpted key caps, and a smartphone dock. While a jobbie like this would usually set you back a pretty penny, Newegg will get it to you for $94.99 with cart code EMCTVVB36.

• Mass storage? Right this way, sir. The Western Digital MyBook 6 TB external hard drive supports hardware-based encryption and ships with included backup software. You can get your hands on it for $109.99 from Newegg with cart code EMCTVVB62. That price works out to a tasty $18.33 per terabyte.

• Finally, something for gamers on the go (or workers who need big hardware): The Asus ROG Strix Scar II (GL504GS-DH76) is a 15.6" laptop with  a laundry list of meaty specs. The fun kicks off with the Intel Core i7-8750H processor (six cores with a 3.9 GHz turbo) accompanied by 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB NVMe drive for storage. Pixel-pushing prowess comes by way of an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card with 8 GB of VRAM. That's not all, though; the 1920×1080 display has a 144-Hz refresh rate, and there's per-key RGB LED lighting on tap. High specs often beget a high price, but not today—$1389 is all you need to take this laptop from Newegg provided you use cart code EMCTVVB29.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• DarkUltra
    • 6 months ago

I tried the Logitech G910 Orion Spark in a store. Its keys felt mushy like a rubber-dome keyboard and the enter key was hard to press unless I hit it excactly on the middle. I then promptly went to finn.no (norwegian ebay) to stock up on a couple of G710+.

• willyolioleo
    • 6 months ago

A little late, but monoprice had their 35″ curved 1440p ultrawide on sale, plus an additional sitewide discount. Taking both discounts together it was $380 which I’m sure was a historic low.

Just saying people should be on the lookout if they repeat the sale in the future

• Techonomics
    • 6 months ago

LG is also having a blow out on its well-reviewed 34GK950F (especially after the v2 firmware update). It’s on sale now at many outlets for $799, which is 33% off. Just picked one up today from the rainforest, to replace my 2012 era 27” 1440p.

It’ll be my first monitor beyond 27”, curved, and wide.

• BiffStroganoffsky
    • 6 months ago

That external storage design should be abolished. The ratio of height of enclosure to width of base is simply asking for a crash and data loss. If you are Seagate and do not park the heads, calamities and drive failures are in the immediate future. Forget the mouse and make sure you keep kitty away from that scratching wall.

• Spunjji
      • 6 months ago

I tend to lay them down on whichever side corresponds to the bottom of the HDD inside. It’s bizarre that they still sell them this way, though.

• CScottG
    • 6 months ago

The key caps on that keyboard are truly wretched. (..whomever thought that particular indentation was a good idea was a moron.) Fortunately key caps are easily replaceable with quite a lot of choices available.. but it certainly adds to the cost of the keyboard to do so.

• BillyBuerger
      • 6 months ago

The logitech uses Romer-G switches. Those are not MX compatible and as far as I know, there are no other keycaps you can buy that work with that keyboard.

• CScottG
        • 6 months ago

-good to know: so a full-on HARD-FAIL! (..lol.)

• tay
    • 6 months ago

Thoughts on this LG 32UD60-B for 350 or the LG 27UK650 for 400? The 27″ doesn’t have DCI-P3 support but has crappy HDR and is IPS rather than VA and HiDPI.

Is a 32″ 4K display low DPI for macOS now it doesn’t do sub pixel font aliasing? It’s around 138 PPI while 27″ is around 168. A MacBook Pro is around 220 PPI and I do really like that.

Intended use for coding and some dad-gaming. XD

• tu2thepoo
      • 6 months ago

I use a 43″ TCL 4k TV with my Mac mini, and sit about two feet from the screen. It’s very comfortable to me, but I like running at 1080p retina in MacOS and 150% scaling in Win10, so your mileage may vary: [url<]https://i.imgur.com/Sxtajll.jpg[/url<]

• tay
        • 6 months ago

Ok that’s a good data point. Thank you. I would probably do an oddball res of 2160 -> 1440 rather than the 1/4x that you are.

• PixelArmy
    • 6 months ago

The 32[b<]MU59[/b<], which is basically the same monitor, but with another HDMI, used to go on sale frequently for $330. If you need the extra HDMI, the 32UD[b<]59[/b<] is the same as that and is $370 on Amazon. Anyways... nice monitor... Panel = VA Freesync = 40-60hz (extended) 48-60hz (basic)

• highlandr
    • 6 months ago

I DON’T need to replace my 28″ 4K.
    I DON’T need to replace my 28″ 4K.
    I DON’T need to replace my 28″ 4K.
    I DON’T need to replace my 28″ 4K.

Keep it together man!

• Redocbew

Stay strong, bro.

• morphine
      • 6 months ago

[i<]*Pulls out watch[/i<] You know you want to. Just think about it. You can set it farther back. 32 inches of pixel-perfect goodness. Cat videos in HDR with pitch-perfect color thanks to that 95% DCI-P3 coverage. You can always sell or gift your 28", you needn't waste it. Go on, you know you want to.

• K-L-Waster
        • 6 months ago

And another package mysteriously appears on Bruno’s doorstep…

• morphine

😉

• MOSFET
    • 6 months ago

That mobo+CPU combo is pretty sweet. Not in the market myself, and I generally prefer to skip bundles and combos, and just get exactly the components I want, but that’s a pretty good combo.

• MOSFET
    • 6 months ago

I’m reminded why Amazon is so terrible for technology purchases – nowhere on the entire page is that monitor’s refresh rate listed, nor are other details like onboard speakers. Typical Amazon garbage. I’ll give them kudos when they do well and call them out when they suck, and they suck at providing any sort of information about the tech you’re buying from them.

(I guess that’s why I still have HoverHound installed 6-7 years later.)

• Usacomp2k3
      • 6 months ago

Usually the “questions” section points out any missing product information. In this case 10 seconds of looking told me it was 60hz.
      I agree though that oftentimes the spec sheet is very incomplete and one shouldn’t have to resort to the above to find stuff.

• MOSFET
        • 6 months ago

I know this is sort of a first-world problem, but I don’t want to read User Questions to find specs. I’m not looking for answers or opinions, I’m looking for information on what the product I’m buying does, and does not do.

Obviously it’s all working out ok for dick-boy.

• 1sh

It’s a 4K 32″ monitor for $349.99, just assume it’s 60hz lol

• Redocbew
      • 6 months ago

I wouldn’t expect to find detailed information on Amazon. Amazon is about as far away from being a specialty retailer as is possible, and if I’m dropping $350 or more I should have already done enough research to know the specs.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 6 months ago

We’re you unsure if the refresh rate was over or under 60hz?

If under, I agree with you.

If over, it’s $350 and you’re
      insane and should be locked up.

Two ways that goes down.

• MOSFET
        • 6 months ago

1) I’m not buying any monitor this year.
        2) These comments on products we don’t intend to buy are pretty pointless exercises anyway, but many of us here at TR seem to do it. And it generates traffic for the site. So, what the heck?
        3) Pretty sure all of you understand me enough to know that I wouldn’t buy it without doing my own research.
        4) It’s Freesync so I’m not really expecting a static refresh rate, but even that would be better than none.
        Purely for the sake of comments, I’m just regurgitating how awful tech shopping is on Amazon. Window shop at Newegg and buy wherever you like, including Newegg, since they take the time and effort to put together nice product pages.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 6 months ago

I agree with you that Amazon sucks for shopping when you need accurate info. I feel like Amazon is eBay tier of trash in that department. Newegg is my go to even if the price is a little higher. I use Amazon for non tech things.

• OptimumSlinky
            • 6 months ago

Newegg is better for specs and details, but Newegg’s return policies and customer service are beyond trash now. I only do Amazon for that reason.

• DoomGuy64
      • 6 months ago

They list the spec sheet as a PDF, it is 60hz and VA, no HDR. $350 is about what that is worth MSRP, and not “sale”. Back in the day, I owned a 1900×1200 VA 8-bit 60hz panel, I will never game on such garbage again. Great for video, bad for games, although I did like the aspect ratio for 4:3 backwards compatibility.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 6 months ago

I had 1920×1200 and gamed on it for years. With 144hz 1440p GSync, I could never go back either.

I agreed with two people today.

• Redocbew