Optical drive bays live another day thanks to Sharkoon’s VG7-W chassis

We know that there were so many of you gerbils who were absolutely infatuated with the edgy gamer styling of recent cases but were put off by the lack of a 5.25" drive bay. Sharkoon comes to your rescue with the VG7-W mid-tower chassis.

Sharkoon VG7-W RGB

Jokes aside, this is a budget-oriented ATX computer case with a steel frame and plastic fascia. It has an acrylic window on the side, three LED-lit fans, and removable magnetic air filters on the intakes. It'll take graphics cards up to 14¾" (37.5cm) in length, CPU coolers up to 6½" (16.5cm) tall, and power supplies 10½" long (26.5cm), although we've never seen one that big.

The three 120-mm fans are standard on all VG7-W models. There are variants with red, green, and blue LEDs, while the slightly more expensive VG7-W RGB comes with addressable RGB LEDs in its spinners and a four-port RGB LED controller. There's no other place to put fans or radiators, so pass on the extra air-pushers with this purchase.

Storage accommodations include two 3.5" drive bays, three 2.5" mounts, and that big 5.25" slot up front. Also on the front panel are a pair of USB 3.0 ports as well as the usual 3.5-mm audio jacks. Behind the motherboard, there's a small area for cable management—a feature we're happy to see showing up more and more in these budget chassis.

If you've got a need for a low-cost case with room for optical storage, Sharkoon says the VG7-W will be available any minute now for €44.90, or around $50 USD. The RGB version will be €10 more at €54.90, or around $63 USD.

• Antias
    • 6 months ago

I’m STILL using my Antec 900… seems every time i go to do an upgrade, it’ll still meet all my needs and then some. Cable management can be a bit tricky but doable and the extra bays now house card readers, extra usb 3 ports and full sound controller add-in bay blocks.
    And most of the drive bay add-ins allow mounting of even more hard drives behind them.

• mark625
    • 6 months ago

I’m okay with all the plastic and the RGBling. But I don’t like cases where the hold-down tabs of add-in cards stick out the back. Just seems tacky to me.

• Antias
      • 6 months ago

In a lot of those situations, you can often rip off the hold down tab completely and just screw the add-in cards in place as per normal.

I did that on an old Acer Veriton 670G that i turned into a great medias server under the TV (added 4 HDD’s, an SSD and a GT710 passively cooled Graphics card. Now it has 24TB of HDD space and plays any media i can throw at it… even a touch of light gaming)
      Not bad for a $50 Ebay refurbished pickup..

• 6 months ago

The slot cover and back panel tabs still stick out the back, and I agree with mark625 – it looks tacky.

• Waco
        • 5 months ago

You can’t on this one, the rear panel is a single piece of stamped steel. The hold down tab you can see in the picture is where you screw your cards into.

• LoneWolf15
    • 6 months ago

My Corsair 650D has plenty of bays.

But if I go smaller, Fractal Design still has the ARC Mini, two 5.25″ bays, and is well done too. I have the SO’s system in one, and am happy with that as well.

• Waco
    • 6 months ago

I have 5.25″ bays in my case (CoolerMaster Cosmos II), but they’re holding water pump/reservoir combos, a fan controller, and a water temperature display.

I don’t know that I’ll carry over my watercooling parts to my next build…and I’ll happily never touch 5.25″ bays again. Even losing 3.5″ bays would be wonderful in my next build!

• Krogoth
      • 6 months ago

The floppy gods will smite you for this heresy!

• Waco
        • 6 months ago

That or the HDD gods! My desktop has no spinners and I never intend to have spinners in a desktop ever again.

• Krogoth
          • 6 months ago

Pushy Seagate Rep: “Wouldn’t be a shame if those flash chip suffered from an unfortunate static discharge….”

• techguy
    • 6 months ago

I’d rather use the space for watercooling. External 5.25″ USB drive enclosures aren’t very expensive, this is the route I’ve opted for.

• NTMBK

Senpai noticed me! ^_^

• Captain Ned
    • 6 months ago

I do believe that the Antec P182 that’s been at my right knee for a decade or so may end up being the last case I ever buy.

• Anonymous Coward
      • 6 months ago

Yay for standardized component sizes!

• cmrcmk
      • 6 months ago

I had an Antec P180 that worked just fine but I replaced it when I built a new PC ~6 years ago because I wanted something more compact (a very flimsy reason) and so I could sell the outgoing machine as a complete unit. I have to admit though that reason #2 was the justification so that I could satisfy reason #1.

• ronch
    • 6 months ago

I don’t use my DVD drive often but I think it’s still good to have one because I still have lots of stuff on DVD and if someone needs data from me I could just burn it on DVD and give it to him or her and not worry about getting my disc back.

• failquail
      • 6 months ago

I thought the same thing and got a mATX with a 5.25 drive bay. When the drive started having issues later on, i found that USB optical drives are absurdly cheap on ebay. Picked up a £50 slimline bluray writer(!) drive.

The drivebay is now empty and i now have a drive that works on my laptop too. My next case def will not have a drive bay 😛

• ronch
        • 6 months ago

I actually still have my floppy disks in the closet. Not that I’d need anything from them but I thought, if I had a floppy drive I’d probably check them out just for nostalgia.

• LoneWolf15
      • 6 months ago

DVD-RW, fan controller, and memory card reader here.

• Krogoth
    • 6 months ago

Perfect for my 5 1/4″ FDD collection!

• notfred
      • 6 months ago

My 8″ floppy still won’t fit!

• Wirko
        • 6 months ago

Crop the disks to 5.25″. The capacity may go down by 0.001 GB. That’s hardly any loss.

• Takeshi7
      • 6 months ago

I wonder how many computers use 5.25″ floppies, AND have working front panel USB 3.0 ports. I bet it’s close to zero, but this case can do it.

• ozzuneoj
        • 6 months ago

I’m into retro systems, so now you have me genuinely curious… are there any motherboards that have both a floppy interface AND USB 3.0? My P67 board has USB 3.0 via an NEC chip, so I don’t think they go back much further than that. Maybe some oddball workstation oriented board from around that time would have both of them.

Honestly, I would be interested in a modern-ish system with native floppy support (and IDE for that matter). I use an external USB 3.5 floppy on my main system to make it easier to get files onto older systems, but externals aren’t always the most reliable.

EDIT: Turns out there’s at least one Gigabyte’s AM3+ board with a floppy header. Who knew? 🙂

• Peter.Parker
          • 6 months ago

AM3+ would work, or if you’re looking for a newer MB, there are a lot of PCI to floppy controller card. I believe you could get a 5.25 USB adapter, I have a 3.5 USB that I bought 10 yrs ago, and I used exactly 3 times since.

• Oem
          • 6 months ago

I have a working *internal* floppy drive + 2 x USB 3.0 (NEC) X58 board from Gigabyte from 2010 still going strong. Got a 3.46 GHz 6 core / 12 thread used Xeon dirt cheap and 48 GB of triple-channel RAM also cheap, and put in dual Samsung 960 Pro 512GB in NVMe RAID 0 + one 950 Pro NVMe for boot, on PCIe adapters. Thanks to the still impressive number of PCIe lanes (albeit 2.0) coming off this server-derived platform, there’s still an x16 slot available for a graphics card (up to three x16 cards if I give up an M.2 adapter or two), ten (!) internal SATA ports including 2 xSATA 3.0, four of which I used for a 32 TB RAID10, and two more for a 4 TB RAID 1 (37.5 TB total storage, unRAIDed). I’ve routed the USB 3.0 and rear eSATA to the front panel of the case with adapters, one USB C + one USB A. Not a bad setup at all even for today. This system is pushing a decade in service and I still don’t feel a need to replace it; the most “future proof” system I ever put together. And just for kicks I got a serial + parallel card for an unused x1 slot, so truly retro. Don’t forget the blu-ray reader / writer (5.25 bays for ever!). Did I mention the floppy? 🙂

• Waco

Snark in press releases is exactly why I come to TR. 🙂

• Neutronbeam
      • 6 months ago

And this is Shark snark–a double win!

• K-L-Waster
        • 6 months ago

Ten more releases this week and we can have a Snarknado.

• DrCR
      • 6 months ago

This. It’s great to see the new blood providing press release type info in proper TR snarky fashion.