Bargain basement: a Ryzen 5 2600 and an Asus Prime B450 Plus mobo for $250 and more

Howdy folks. I've been catching up on the latest episodes The Grand Tour, and I'm having loads of fun. I particularly enjoyed the episode in China, which is funny by itself but also kind of mind-boggling. The country is still a bit of a mystery to most of us Westerners, and it's quite amazing to see how the massive infusions of cash are transformed into massive infrastructure. I'd definitely recommend you watch that one. In the meantime, take a gander at our selection of PC hardware deals.

• We're setting off today with a nice AMD combo deal. The Ryzen 5 2600 is one of the top choices for a mid-range CPU because it packs six Zen+ cores and twelve threads clocked at up to 3.9 GHz. It comes with a nice cooler in the box, too. Today, the chip is accompanied by an Asus Prime B450-Plus motherboard. Simple as this offering may be, it's got everything you need: USB ports in Type-A and Type-C flavors, an M.2 PCIe x4 slot, and a front-panel USB 3.1 connector. You can get both items from Newegg for the low price of $249.98, or $30 off the regular total.

• If you want a gigantic pack of RAM to go with the components above, then you'll like the G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB kit with 3000 MT/s DIMMs. That's enough capacity for running a bunch of VMs at the same time, and the sticks will set you back just $159.99 at Newegg.

• The second part of this post pertains to pretty posh puissant portables. The first in line is the Apple MacBook Pro 13" (MPXQ2LL/A). This ultra portable has a gorgeous display capable of covering almost the entirety of the DCI-P3 color space and packs a seventh-gen Intel Core i5 CPU coupled with 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB NVMe SSD. You get two Thunderbolt 3 ports for connecting peripherals. You can get this machine today for just $1099.99 from Best Buy.

• The next machine is the Lenovo Legion Y7000 (81LF0005US). This 15.6" beastie has great build quality and packs a mighty six-core Core i7-8750H processor that dances along with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card. The CPU sits next to 8 GB of RAM and a 256-GB SSD. The display is a 1920×1080 IPS unit, and the asking price is just $929.99 at Walmart.

• The third and final laptop today is the gorgeous Huawei Matebook X Pro (53010CAJ). The brand isn't usually talked about much, but hear us out on this one: First off, the 13.9" display has a resolution of 3000×2000, a contrast ratio of 1500:1, and a maximum brightness of 450 cd/m². The panel supports touch input and is covered with Gorilla Glass and surrounded by super thin bezels. (The screen-to-body ratio is a massive 91%). Inside the chassis, you'll find an Intel Core i7-8550U processor sitting next to 16 GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics card, and a 512-GB SSD. The 57.4 Wh battery should be good for 12 hours of video playback, while peripheral connectivity comes by way of a USB Type-A port and a Thunderbolt 3-enabled Type-C connector. The whole contraption weighs just 2.9 lbs and is 14.6 mm thick. Rakuten will hand it to you for $1234.99 with checkout code HUA115.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: Not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• MOSFET
    • 5 months ago

[quote<]Simple as this offering may be, it's got everything you need:[/quote<] Except it's full ATX. All these different needs going around! (I'm not really shopping anyway, just window shopping as usual.)

• ronch
    • 5 months ago

The Ryzen 2600 is often on sale. Not my pick if I were shopping at Newegg but that 65w TDP totally puts my ‘Energy Efficient’ 65w Athlon 64 X2 4800 from 2007 to shame.

• cynan
    • 5 months ago

Comment to Editor: The English word for puissant also begins with “p”.

On second thought, I’m probably just bitter that the Rakuten in my foreign country is laughable when it comes to component “deals”. Or, you know, painfully pathetic at promoting PC peripheral procurement by proffering piss-poor promotional pricing.

• K-L-Waster
      • 5 months ago

[quote<]Or, you know, painfully pathetic at promoting PC peripheral procurement by proffering piss-poor promotional pricing.[/quote<] Purportedly.

• morphine
      • 5 months ago

I am soundly beaten. I bow to thee good sir. I may contact you in the future for alliteration puns.

• demani
    • 5 months ago

What are the trackpads like in day-to-day use on the Huawei laptops? That one sits in just about a perfect spot for me, but good trackpads are key (possibly more important to me than the keyboard).

• Voldenuit
      • 5 months ago

I haven’t used them, but I hear they use Windows Precision trackpad drivers, which is half the battle won.

• willmore
    • 5 months ago

Those laptops with 128GB and 256GB storage are horrible. Unless it’s a limited functionality device like a chromebook, what’s the purpose of that? Thank you Huawei for including a sane amount of storage in a laptop.

• Waco
      • 5 months ago

I have 256 in my laptop for light gaming / travel and it hasn’t really felt limiting yet.

• sweatshopking
      • 5 months ago

What the heck are you installing?

• 5 months ago

I agree that 128 is not something I’d want, but 256 is plenty for me in my notebook.

• willmore
        • 5 months ago

Do people assume they’ll have other storage available? My laptop has 512 SSD and 1TB of spinning rust and I’m running out of space. I guess people use things differently. For me, my laptop is my primary machine. Maybe others don’t use them as such?

• 5 months ago

my laptop is my primary machine, too, but I don’t feel the need to have all my games with me at all times. They’re on an external 6TB drive.

• Voldenuit
          • 5 months ago

Everyone’s storage use and needs are different. My gaming laptop has a 512 GB NVMe SSD but sadly no room for a 2.5″ HDD. My desktop however has 32 TB of storage split across SSDs and HDDs, and I have another 32 TB of HDDs in a NAS.

Would I like more storage space in my laptop? For sure, although NVMe storage was pretty expensive at the time I got it.

• willmore
            • 5 months ago

My laptop is an older one with no SSD slot. It’s got room for a 2.5″ SATA device and the optical bay can be swapped for another one. So, one now has an SSD and the other spinning rust.

I agree that everyones needs are different, but 128GB is barely enough to install windows and a few apps. Let alone organize the family photos, etc. I guess you can use a NAS for some of that, but then you’re going to be limited by connection speed and you won’t have reasonable access to them while away. Even my wife has trouble living in a 512GB drive.

• DPete27
            • 5 months ago

Windows takes what? 30GB?
            Have you tried running disk cleanup with the “clean up system files” option?

• chrishan
      • 5 months ago

It all depends on how one manages the disks allocation. My desktop is 256GB. I have 2 external drives at 1TB each. The first is for gaming (about 200GB) and photos/ personal files. Another for work, i’m a programmer who occasionally needs light video editing, at times I would need to use spare external hdd to backup my works. My 256GB NVMe is enough for LibreOffice, Visual Studio Code, a few proramming compilers, a video editing software… But if putting all gaming + works in a single disk of course it’s not enough. Even 1TB is not enough for ordinary programmers. Hdd is cheap and it only takes a few seconds more loading from conventional hdd when compiling / video editing, while it gains no significant benefit to load from NVMe (or SATA) compared to hard drive, so why would you waste the storage on a primary disk engine which supposed to speed up the system?

• Stochastic
    • 5 months ago

Building a powerful PC is slowly becoming affordable again. When Zen 2 rolls around this Summer it should be a great time to put together a new rig. That said, the GPU market could be better. Hopefully a combination of Navi and 7nm will make that sector more competitive in the not-too-distant future.

• morphine
      • 5 months ago

“Slowly”? It’s the best time in recent memory, and probably the best in bang-for-buck overall, ever. 🙂

• Voldenuit
        • 5 months ago

We had high NAND and RAM prices until just recently (still coming down), high street prices on 9th gen Kaby Lake Refresh until at least January, high GPU prices from mining for almost 2 years followed by high Turing prices.

I don’t think we’re anywhere near Celeron A or Athlon 64 x2 or 9700 Pro or Radeon 48xx levels of “bang for buck”.

• DPete27
          • 5 months ago

Agree on DRAM, completely disagree on NAND.

• Spunjji
          • 4 months ago

I’m hopeful that AMD deploy Navi against Nvidia in much the same way they used the 4800 series – a punishing jab for over-inflated pricing. It’s unlikely they’ll ever again end up accidentally over-performing the way that architecture did, but it was always the price/performance that was most appealing anyway.

• ronch
        • 5 months ago

It’s about to be even better soon. RAM prices are expected to fall further and graphics card prices as well. And SSDs are just ridiculously cheap these days. Hopefully everything stays the same or drops further when Zen 2 comes out.