Cinebench R20 ditches the graphics test

Cinebench: Regardless what you think about the software, you know of it. It's ubiquitous in hardware reviews across the web because, if nothing else, it's extremely easy to automate. The version of Cinebench that you're likely to find in CPU reviews to date is Cinebench R15, released in September 2013. (Yeah, more than five years ago.) It's time for a new version, and Maxon has responded with Cinebench R20.

In case you're wondering (as I was) about the large jump in version numbers, it's because these Cinebench releases are intended to be representative of the performance of Maxon's curiously-named Cinema 4D 3D animation package, which just hit its 20th release. The latest version of Cinebench is a major upgrade for the benchmark, because R20 is now based on Intel's Embree ray-tracing kernels that are optimized for AVX, AVX2, and AVX-512 instructions found in more recent Intel and AMD processors. Those same kernels can be found in other software, including open-source Cinema 4D competitor Blender, which has a pending patch that will add Embree support to its Cycles renderer.

There's no more GPU test in the new version; it's a pure CPU benchmark now. Maxon says the vastly more complex scene in Cinebench R20 (compared to R15) requires around 8x the processing power and 4x the memory. The company also notes that the benchmark "will not launch on unsupported processors," although what exactly qualifies as an "unsupported processor" is anyone's guess at this point. The new benchmark does require a 64-bit version of Windows and at least 4 GB of RAM.

Oddly, Maxon also claims that Cinebench R20 will run on Windows 7 SP1 even though the application is available only from the Microsoft Store. Mac users can grab it on the app store. If you'd like to benchmark your system—or just look at the pretty pictures—you can grab Cinebench R20 at Maxon's website.

• Divebus
    • 1 year ago

Ok, I’ve got a bunch of [video edit work] iMac Pro 18-core 2.3 GHz machines which get 6683 on the R20 CPU test. The new 16-core 2.1 GHz E5 HP Z840s are two cores short and a few clicks slower in clock but only get 4440. What the hell? Shouldn’t be that much of a difference. The larger iMac GPU also beats the NVIDA 1080ti cards in the HP Z8v4 machines by 1.8x. Wanted to test the GPU with R20 as a sanity check but they took that test out. All the editors want the iMacs now because they noticeably smoke everything else. The iMacs were about the same price as the Z840 PCs and cheaper than the Z8v4 PCs (big GPU cards) and come with a really nice 5K monitor.

Huh.

oh… and no Windows Store.

• spiked_mistborn
    • 1 year ago

My lightly overclocked Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.6 GHz gets 3585.

• Klimax
    • 1 year ago

And sometimes one can get very unusual score from it. Like Core 2 E7400 posting ~66000 points with MP scaling being X142,5…

• chuckula

Thanks AMD!
      I MEAN NOTEPAD BEING USED TO EDIT THE RESULTS FILE!

• DataMeister
    • 1 year ago

Weird. The bottom of the Cinebench page says supported systems are:

PC
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or higher
    Intel or AMD 64-bit CPU
    with SSE3 & 4GB RAM

I have a Win 7 and a Win 8 machine for testing and can’t figure out how to install it on either one.

• Klimax
      • 1 year ago

Get portable version. (Link is already in discussion leading to TechPowerUp)

• @man_daddio
    • 1 year ago

I don’t have a problem using the Windows store since it’s already on my computer. I am glad for some strange reason we’re not forced to go to Epic. all the games I have on the Windows store which isn’t much run just fine. It’s not really that hard to use the store.

I was doing some benchmarks recently and was wondering when they were going to upgrade cinebench. I’m glad it’s finally here. Time to test my computer’s again.

• Waco
    • 1 year ago

Store only? I guess I’m skipping this one. I refuse to use that pile of garbage.

• DancinJack
      • 1 year ago

I don’t avoid it on principle, but holy crap the Windows store is a dumpster fire. I don’t want Microsoft to force it on us more than they already do (which admittedly for my use cases is pretty minimal?) but I just don’t really get how they have failed, miserably, to entice people to make apps for the store.

• Wonders
        • 1 year ago

It’s because so many avoid it on principle.

• Voldenuit
        • 1 year ago

Here’re my opinions on some of the reasons why Windows Store failed so badly:
        1. Mandating UWP (they’re slowly coming around on this)
        2. Schism of touch and kb+m users. Some UWP apps I have are practically unusable on non-touch devices.
        3. Content delivery and updates thru Windows Update, which is slow, buggy, non-granular, and inefficient.
        4. Poor navigation, layout and discoverability of Windows Store
        5. Lack of support for PC gamer expectations – dedicated fullscreen mode, plugins, mods, ReShade, framerate controls etc.
        6. Half-arsed integration with failed and abandoned projects: Windows Phone, Windows RT, Windows S
        7. User skepticism over Microsoft monopolization of distribution and publishing
        EDIT:
        8. Incompatibilities and crashes with common win32 apps like Afterburner, FRAPS, Rivatuner, PerfMon etc.

Recently, they’ve been experimenting in the beta branch with supporting xbone games on PC, but are using proprietary container formats and all the usual console shenanigans. There’s more to a PC port than simply shipping a universal binary and saying ‘here. make sure you’re at 1080p60 and use a controller.’, but MS does not seem to realize this nor care.

• DancinJack
          • 1 year ago

I’d agree with most of that. I don’t think the vast, vast, vast majority of PC users care about either 5 or 8 though. I’m sure those two issues are nagging to some, but I doubt they’re a real reason why the Store hasn’t been successful in any meaningful way.

• Voldenuit

For sure.

I think another problem is that most people think of Windows Store as the place where all the Android apps they use aren’t, and they’re not wrong.

I do use some UWP apps and I still can’t find a half-decent .epub or .cbr reader.

• arunphilip
            • 1 year ago

[url=https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/sumatra-pdf/9pnjwv0hphzk?activetab=pivot:overviewtab<]Sumatra PDF[/url<]?

• Voldenuit
            • 1 year ago

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try it out on my tablet this weekend.

• Hsldn
            • 1 year ago

Edge can read epub files.

• RAGEPRO
          • 1 year ago

I was gonna say that you missed one—ideological objections to the very concept of an “app store” which is built-in and maintained by the creator of the operating system—but I guess that falls under 7.

I think this is a very fair complaint on iOS and Android (perhaps less so Android) but it doesn’t make any sense on Windows, which is still… well, just as free and open as it ever was.

I don’t use the Windows store, but my personal objections to it are all in your list above, which is to say pretty much the entire list above. It’s an embarrassment.

• DavidC1
          • 1 year ago

They are all a result of Microsoft doing things for the sake of profit first. Yes, companies are there to make money in the first place, but you really can go too far in that direction, which ironically achieves the opposite. It’s not just about allocating R&D and marketing resources but a much deeper problem like personnel and culture change.

As companies get bigger and bigger it gets slow, and it loses any intelligence it has. Things like Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Store fails because its a much-delayed reactionary response to an already very well established market.

If anything, such efforts anger the market they already have by screwing them over in a vain effort to win a tiny fraction of the new market.

• 1 year ago

good news is I didn’t have to sign into the store to download it. I could just click the link on the Maxon site and install. It asked me to sign in, I declined, and then the app installed anyway.

• Waco
        • 1 year ago

Hmm. Maybe I’ll try that tonight.

• Mr Bill
        • 1 year ago

That did not work for me. They wanted full personal info. But I had no such problem getting Blender.

• 1 year ago

You’re doing something wrong. I just did it again on my work PC. I clicked “Get” and it gave me the dialog in this screenshot.

[url<]https://imgur.com/a/qnV9sKP[/url<] I hit No Thanks and it downloaded.

• Waco
            • 1 year ago

I would guess that you have a local login, not a Microsoft login.

I do. Why would you use a Microsoft login and boycott the store? 😆

• DancinJack
            • 1 year ago

Off the top of my head? Cross-device sync.

• 1 year ago

Sure, but why would you give Microsoft your account and your personal info if no, the store is one step too far? I just think it’s a weird line to draw. It’s like having Gmail with all your personal info but refusing to use Android on the grounds that Google uses it for advertising. To each his own, I guess.

• Waco
            • 1 year ago

I have a local login on my main desktop. 🙂

• Voldenuit
            • 1 year ago

Same. Built a new PC in September and haven’t logged into Microsoft Account or Windows Store on it.

• maxxcool
          • 1 year ago

It asked me for details, but installed even though i did not fill them in

• stdRaichu
      • 1 year ago

There’s several people who’ve put up portable versions already e.g. TPU

[url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/[/url<] It's literally just a copy of the files from the store-cum-program-files folder as far as I can tell.

• Waco

You da real hero.

• Mr Bill
        • 1 year ago

That’s where I finally got it.

• Hsldn
      • 1 year ago

techpowerup has a portable version.

Tough I don’t have anything against the Windows store version. it’s an one click install,auto upgrade ,safer too.