Lock and load for Devil May Cry 5 with Radeon Software 19.3.1

Okay, gerbils. I promise, this is the last time I'll gush about Devil May Cry 5. It unlocked last night at 11:00pm CST, and having already pre-loaded it on Steam, I promptly … spent all night and morning playing Warframe's new Buried Debt event. However, I intend to dive full-force into Capcom's new game today and spend most of the weekend on it. If you're bored at work and aching to get home and dive in, hold your horses, devil hunters: First, go grab the latest video drivers. We already talked about Nvidia's driver, but AMD has one ready for the game too with the Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.3.1.

Not a cutscene.

Obviously, the new driver offers game-specific support for Capcom's Devil May Cry 5. If you're a fan of the series, there's a lot to appreciate about the new title. If you're new to the series, don't worry, there's a thorough history video built right into the game's main menu to get you caught up on the story—not that any knowledge of the story is necessary to enjoy the game's high-octane action.

If you're not interested in Devil May Cry 5, you can at least appreciate that this new driver patches over a few potholes. Your changes to your Radeon VII's Radeon Wattman settings should now apply correctly the first time, every time. Video playback should no longer get corrupted dragging Windows' Movies and TV app to an HDR display. Certain monitors (particularly the Acer KG251Q Dbmiipx) should work correctly at 240 Hz on DisplayPort. Lastly, AMD finally fixed up that persistent issue where having a connected display switched off could cause massive mouse lag.

As with previous drivers, be careful when making changes to Wattman settings in Radeon Overlay, because they may not save. Your mouse cursor may disappear off the top of the screen when you're using a Ryzen Mobile chip with its integrated graphics. Rainbow Six Siege may experience random texture corruption. Attempting to change the memory clock in Wattman on a Radeon VII may stick the memory frequency at 800 MHz. Also, some mobile or hybrid graphics setups may suffer green flickering when you move the mouse over videos playing in a browser.

You can pick up the driver at AMD's download site, as usual. Peruse the release notes if you will, or simply click here to grab the Windows 10 64-bit version.

• DPete27
    • 5 months ago

DMC is a good game? Hasn’t been on my radar. Is this a recommended buy?

• EzioAs
      • 5 months ago

It’s a genre thing. If stylish, fast-paced hack and slash isn’t your cup of tea, then you might not like it. If you do however, the DMC franchise is one of, if not, the best at it and DMC5 is possibly at the top of the list.

• RAGEPRO
      • 5 months ago

EzioAs has the right of it, more or less.

Devil May Cry essentially created the “stylish action” micro-genre with the release of the first game in 2001. Interestingly, there aren’t that many games in the genre despite almost every single game in it being fantastic. A few other similar games you may have played include God of War (the older series), Ninja Gaiden (the newer series), Darksiders (not the latest game, which is more Souls-ian), NieR: Automata (has more depth), and of course Bayonetta, which is almost literally a DMC game. Unsurprising, given that the creator of Bayonetta is also the original creator of DMC.

If you aren’t familiar with any of those games, do you even play action games? I’m teasing, of course, but really, DMC has had an enormous influence on the way action games are made. DMC doesn’t have any RPG mechanics, or NPCs, or character customization. It doesn’t have a whole lot in the way of exploration, and while there is an absolute crap-ton of story, most of it is actually in the supplementary materials—the anime, manga, and novels.

The games themselves are pure, balls-out action titles with an emphasis on stylish battle gameplay through mixing up your moves, hitting weakspots for massive damage, and avoiding getting smacked around like a ragdoll. That’ll happen, too, because historically speaking, Devil May Cry is renowned for its extreme difficulty. After beating Devil May Cry 3 for the fourth time I moved immediately into God of War 2 and found it a cakewalk in comparison to my fourth DMC3 run.

However, after putting about 6 hours into DMC5 today I am comfortable saying that it’s probably the easiest game in the series. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing; there will be higher difficulty levels available once I unlock them, and frankly on a first playthrough where I’m deeply invested in the story it’s nice to not be stressing out about the difficulty.

Even if you’re not really excited about the gameplay, there are other reasons to appreciate DMC5. The music is, as always, amazing. The visuals are incredible, too. I’m talking “among the best I’ve ever seen” incredible, and despite that, it runs consistently over 100 FPS on my machine (8700K, 1080 Ti) on 4K with “Ultra” settings. For me, it’s been fast and perfectly stable, but a lot of people I know are having technical issues with the game, so unless you’re really excited for it you may want to wait for a few patches or maybe even a sale.

If you’re interested in the story (or just bored with 20 minutes to kill), [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwKIHxYsUCM<]this video[/url<] does a fantastic job of explaining things.

• EzioAs
        • 5 months ago

Seeing some streams already, most people seems to agree that it gets more difficult at the latter half. I want to play it now but as with every AAA game release, I just have to wait for a couple discounts and/or price drop to purchase one.

• DPete27
        • 5 months ago

Thanks! NieR Automata is next on my play list actually. I’ll add DMC5 to the list I think.

• Voldenuit
    • 5 months ago

Denuvo can go DIAF.

[url<]https://www.pcgamesn.com/devil-may-cry-5/dmc-5-fps[/url<]

• DoomGuy64
      • 5 months ago

It’s not the worst DRM ever, but it does decrease performance, as shown by overlord gaming on youtube. That said, performance loss is the only major downside afaik, unlike DRM like starforce, safedisc, and securom.

Also, UWP is much worse, and will likely become more prevalent in the future, especially with xbox games coming to windows. I have a feeling we might as well kiss PC gaming goodbye if that takes off.

• RAGEPRO
        • 5 months ago

While I actually agree, you probably should have clarified in your post that UWP is not a DRM scheme. I feel like you know that, but your post reads that way to an unaware reader.

• DoomGuy64
          • 5 months ago

No, it is a DRM scheme. If you do not understand how it is DRM, then I recommend you watch overlord gaming’s expose on UWP, which is a several video series just on UWP. He is also the guy who has benchmarked the performance loss of Denuvo, and knows what he is talking about.

UWP is not just DRM, it is layered, and it is so sophisticated that pirates have a harder time cracking it than any other form of DRM.
          [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV2nVh1AUgk&t=268s[/url<] [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QknpDTD28Xk[/url<]

• Waco
      • 5 months ago

Bad DRM that kills performance…and has already been cracked. Sigh.