National Plant a Flower Day Shortbread

My wife adores Garden Paws in large part because of the excellent screenshot tool.

PC hardware and computing

1. Corsair K83 wireless entertainment keyboard review @ bit-tech
  2. Bitfenix Enso Mesh ATX chassis review @ Guru3D
  3. MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO review @ HardOCP
  4. Corsair One i160 review @ Hexus
  5. Cooler Master CK530 review @ KitGuru
  6. Asus ROG Balteus Qi mouse pad review @ TechPowerUp
  7. A blast from the past: GeForce GTX 980 Ti vs. GTX 1660 Ti vs. RTX 2060 @ TechSpot
  8. The Xeon entry quad-core CPU review: Xeon E-2174G, E-2134, and E-2104G tested @ AnandTech

Games, culture, and VR

1. Nintendo Switch revisited: Two years makes a big difference @ Engadget
  2. How did the hitherto unknown Dawn Of Man become a #1 bestseller on Steam? @ Rock Paper Shotgun

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Hard disks can be turned into listening devices, researchers find @ Slashdot
  2. Speedrunning Windows 95 @ HackADay (of course this is a thing)
  3. Miniature 3D printed forklift is quite pallet-able @ HackADay (made the cut because of the pun)

Science, technology, and space news

1. Fukushima's radiation is contained by a mile-long wall of ice @ Slashdot
  2. New White House budget spells trouble for NASA's SLS rocket @ Ars Technica
  3. Congress introduces bill to improve "internet of things" security @ Slashdot
  4. U.S. seeks to allay fears over killer robots @ Slashdot (just don't put them online)

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. Make homemade cheese in 48 hours or less with Fromaggio @ mentalfloss.com (or, you know, make it in less than an hour on your stovetop)
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• Mr Bill
    • 8 months ago

At last, a worthy kiddy successor to WOW and Fortnite! [quote<][url=https://store.steampowered.com/app/840010/Garden_Paws/<]Garden Paws[/url<][/quote<] If only they had offered these instead of making WOW Kiddy Edition.

• drfish

It’s seriously pawesome.

• Mr Bill
        • 8 months ago

+3 And somewhat resembles the Panda WOW expansion for cuteness.

• superjawes
    • 8 months ago

[url=https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-master-chief-collection-pc-everything-you-need-know<]...neat.[/url<]

• superjawes
      • 8 months ago

I am cautiously optimistic, as the “not getting everything at once” approach feels odd, but I do think it’s a good idea to get XBOne games onto PC.

• anotherengineer
    • 8 months ago

Chuck, stop buying up all those CPU’s!!! And tell Intel to make a few more fabs to keep up!!

[url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/253515/intel-cpu-shortages-to-worsen-thru-q2-2019[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
    • 8 months ago

I was thinking of plant a tree by John Denver. When is arbor day?

• anotherengineer
    • 8 months ago

Can not plant a flower…………..over 4 feet of snow on the ground still.

• not@home
      • 8 months ago

Here in central WI we still have over 3′ of snow, and about 18″ have melted. There is no planing anything yet. It is supposed to be warm and rainy the next two days, so a lot should melt, but more snow on Friday.

• willmore
        • 8 months ago

Time for flooding? Yay, I remember that season in WI….

• drfish
      • 8 months ago

Obviously, you need better flowers.

• anotherengineer
        • 8 months ago

Indeed, and something to thaw out the frozen earth. Unless I can fin me some good hydroponic flowers genetically modified for cold, maybe that can grow in the snow?

• UberGerbil
    • 8 months ago

Speedrunning Windows 95 installs with disc images is invalid. The times should only count if you use actual, physical floppies. (Though there could be a lower, junior wimp division for people who use actual physical CD-ROMs).

I’m pretty sure I still have a set of Windows 95 floppies. (Actually, I probably have a set of floppies from the Beta; I had probably moved on to CD by the time the actual product shipped.) I may even have some 3.0 floppies in the junk closet).

• DancinJack
      • 8 months ago

lol good lord people have FAR FAR too much time on their hands

• drfish
        • 8 months ago

…and yet, they are doing [i<]speed[/i<]runs. Is that irony?

• Krogoth
        • 8 months ago

I would be more impressed if people did speedruns with Gentoo installations from scratch.

• Krogoth
      • 8 months ago

Windows 95 installation process has been CPU-bound since 1Ghz+ CPUs from Intel/AMD became commonplace. It was I/O-bound at launch due to the media it operated it on (floppies/low-speed CD-ROMs)

• chuckula
        • 8 months ago

Windows95Bench for Threadripper 3 review….. CONFIRMED [to be a bad idea].

• Mr Bill
        • 8 months ago

Win95 and WinNT both installed much faster from magneto optical drives because of the random access. I still have my install images. I imagine there could be a further speedup from an SSD image.

• Mr Bill
      • 8 months ago

What’s the record for speedrunning Windows 10?

• willmore

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=16M oflag=direct

• Usacomp2k3

[url<]https://twitter.com/linustech/status/1105216314010791936?s=21[/url<]

• 8 months ago

One of my W95 floppies had a corrupt file. I had to copy all the files to disk using DOS, and then replace the corrupt CAB file from another floppy that was added to the set.

Each time, I thought to myself, “I should fix this so I don’t have to do this next install” and never got around to it.

• Mr Bill
        • 8 months ago

Putting off a fix because a work around gets it done; been there, done that. 😉 I suspect that activation energy barrier (chemistry analogy) of exertion or cost to properly correct a problem is responsible for the release of buggy products. But also because fixing one bug may create unintended consequences.

• Peldor
    • 8 months ago

[quote<]Hard disks can be turned into listening devices, researchers find @ Slashdot[/quote<] All the more reason to go solid state storage for everything! Then you only have to be paranoid about the other 99 ways The Man is watching you.

• Neutronbeam
      • 8 months ago

We’ll be at your house in 30 minutes and we’re not knocking. You need to learn to be a bit more respectful to authority, or you might have to experience a little, ah, street justice.

The Man

• K-L-Waster
        • 8 months ago

[quote<]...and we're not knocking...[/quote<] On the door, at least. Can't say other objects won't get knocked.

• CScottG