Bargain basement: a Ryzen 7 2700 for $220 and much, much more

Ugh, man, this sucks. It's March, Spring has already started, and I've got a clogged nose, aching eyes, muscle pain, and generally feel like I was hit by a truck. Yep, it's the flu. That thrice-darned virus is always waiting to see if you catch a little too much cold, ready to pounce at a moment's notice. Right now my diet is paracetamol and vitamin C. Nevertheless, you loving gerbils have an expectation that there will be hot hardware deals post, and here they are. Get buyin'!

• Look who's back! Most everyone is a fan of AMD's Ryzen 7 2700 processor, and with good reason. It's a balanced chip, with eight Zen+ cores and sixteen threads (count'em), each clocked at up to 4.1 GHz. There's 16 MB of L3 cache on tap and a spiffy Wraith Spire cooler with RGB LED lighting in the box. Amazon is asking for only $219.99 for the package right now.

• Modern chips love them some speedy RAM, like the G.Skill Aegis 16 GB kit of 3000 MT/s DIMMs. There isn't much to say about these, and we reckon that's fine. The timings are 16-18-18-38, the heatsinks are unobtrustive, and the price is just $79.99 at Newegg, while stocks last.

• Say, those sticks above are a particularly good pick for a tiny rig, like the one that could go inside the Fractal Design Nano S case. Folks, this is probably one of the finest ITX cases around. It's got room for 280-mm radiators (!!), a ton of fans, and can generally be described as "everything a regular case is, only just slightly smaller." Those words sound simple, but they're rarely true in the ITX case world. There are removable dust filters, brackets for mounting reservoirs, and a host of assorted niceties. You can get one of these right now for just $39.99 from Newegg. Dang.

• Looking for a large, fast monitor with a vibrant picture and a decent resolution, that won't break the bank? The MSI Optix AG32CQ is a large 32" VA display with a resolution of 2560×1440. Its contrast ratio is 3000:1, and it should have even better color accuracy than many productivity displays as MSI says its color gamut can cover 110% of the sRGB space. As befits a nice gaming display, the refresh rate is a healthy 144 Hz, and there's FreeSync support on tap. The amount of $399.99 is all you'll need to take this home from Newegg. You also get a $20 rebate card.

• Next up, a couple of portables. We'll start with the meatiest one, the Dell G15 5590 (GNvca5ch7043hmp). That letter soup means this is a 15.6" machine with a 1920×1080 display with a nice 144-Hz refresh rate, powered by an Intel Core i7-8750H processor chip sitting next to a mighty GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card with 6 GB of VRAM. For storage purposes, there's a 256-GB NVMe SSD coupled with a 1-TB hard drive. The RAM allotment is 8 GB in only one stick, but we figure that enterprising gerbils will have little to no trouble adding another 8 GB. Rakuten will get you this machine for just $1286.49.

• Chances are you just want a solid workhorse portable like the Asus VivoBook (S530FN-BH73). This is also a 15.6" machine with a 1920×1080 screen, but it employs an Intel Core i7-8565U processor sitting next to 8 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics card. There's a combo setup with a 256-GB solid-state drive plus a 1 TB hard drive for storage. You shouldn't have problems plugging peripherals into this machine, as it's got two USB 2.0 ports along with two Gen1 USB 3.1 ports in Type-A and Type-C flavors. Take this laptop home for $799.99 from Newegg.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• ronch
    • 9 months ago

Speaking of bargains, I just placed an order for the Nokia 6.1 (4GB/64GB). Now this is a 2018 model but it’s got pretty good specs and bucked the trend of stupid notches and 19:9 aspect ratios, and it looks pretty classy, with a metal frame and aluminum back. Usually goes for $280, got it for $124. Not bad, eh?

• Anonymous Coward
      • 9 months ago

In other types of product, a person would not feel odd about buying something 6 or 12 months past its launch date…

[b<]Hate notches.[/b<] I prefer the 2018 Nokia models to the 2019 ones, recently got a Nokia 7+ for work, which I suppose was one of the last on the shelf. They need a model with a mega battery.

• ronch
        • 9 months ago

Yeah. I got an S9+ as a gift last year and I just can’t make myself like the 19:9 aspect ratio. Like they needed to do it just so they can convince people that it’s the next thing in cellphones. Good thing the S9+ doesn’t have a notch.

• Anonymous Coward
          • 9 months ago

Dude, no notch? Must be embarrassing to be seen in public with that!

• ronch
            • 9 months ago

I try to be discreet. Imagine my embarrassment when I start using the Nokia 6.1.

• ronch
    • 9 months ago

If I had a dollar every time there’s a sale on the Ryzen 2700, I wouldn’t care one bit about getting it without a discount.

• morphine
      • 9 months ago

Yep, but the price keeps dropping, that’s why it’s a new deal every time 🙂

• K-L-Waster
        • 9 months ago

Gotta clear the channel before the 3000 series drops in [insert release date guesstimate here].

• Anonymous Coward
          • 9 months ago

As far as I’m concerned, if AMD launches a solid 3000-series it will be their third miracle in a row. Solid product after solid product after solid product, no screwups.

• DPete27
            • 9 months ago

What was the 2nd miracle?

• Anonymous Coward
            • 9 months ago

In my telling of events, successfully refreshing Ryzen (i.e. 2000 series) counts as the second miracle. Launching some refinements on a new manufacturing tech and the damn thing actually beats the old product on day #1, this is nothing like the AMD of old.

• K-L-Waster
            • 9 months ago

Sounds less like a miracle than the lifting of an old curse.

• Anonymous Coward
            • 9 months ago

What was the trick though, a good pep talk? I mean suddenly they could deliver things that worked out of the box. Gone is the old game of watching AMD regularly launch improved grades of the same thing. Now, no products launch until the next big redesign, not a single new model, not even a new letter on an old model. This strikes me as [i<]really dramatic[/i<]. They must have completely changed how they went about product design.

• K-L-Waster

<Rampant Speculation>

I’m guessing two things.

1) Jim Keller lead the design of a fundamentally sound CPU (unlike the whole bulldozer fiasco).

2) Lisa Su has imposed a culture of proper engineering processes (unlike whatever they were doing before).

</Rampant Speculation>

• Anonymous Coward
            • 9 months ago

Might be an actual case where leadership does deserve a fat paycheck, eh?

• DarkMikaru
    • 9 months ago

That’s a great deal on the 2700. I love my 1700 but going to wait for the 3700 and I think I’ll be happy. Not that I’ve been disappointed with the 1700.. it’s been a great chip!

Which CPU are you guys eyeing for Ryzen 2?

• UberGerbil
      • 9 months ago

Yeah, the 3700/3700x looks like the sweet spot for the performance folks, provided the rumored cores/clocks/prices are correct.

• 9 months ago

3700 should be pretty sweet if the rumors pan out.

• shaq_mobile
      • 9 months ago

I was gonna get a TR for ue4 stuff but I think the 3850 should fit the bill nicely. I’m happy with my 1700 as well. World of difference from my 3570k. It’s rare that I experience a difference that’s readily tangible but that upgrade was night and day. Lightmass, code and shader compiling, and some games felt much better. Older games didn’t show much of a difference though but that’s usually not an issue.

• 9 months ago

Can’t remember the leaked model number but I think there’s a 6C/12T model at 4.8GHz.

Even if there are zero improvements between Zen+ and Zen2 I’d be happy with that as an upgrade to my i7-3770 box at home.

• sweatshopking

paracetamol

You Europeans

• MOSFET
      • 9 months ago

over here on the north american frontier, we tough it out, which makes us…tough!

• JustAnEngineer
        • 9 months ago

paracetamol = acetaminophen = Tylenol®, which we have plenty of in North America.
        I’ve always had better results with ibuprofen = Advil®

• sweatshopking
          • 9 months ago

nsaid’s like ibuprofen are great, but should be taken moderately due to their ability to cause stomach ulcers.
          Tylenol may have impacts on your liver depending on frequency and dosage. use moderation when taking painkillers.

• shaq_mobile
            • 9 months ago

Nsaids are almost gauranteed heartburn for me. Tylenol is extra hammering my liver doesn’t need. I’m honestly bummed that we just ban everything that works, though I’m equally bummed we have an opioid epidemic. I blame San Francisco! Hippies! *Tries to distance self from Eugene and Portland and smiles sheepishly*

• UberGerbil
            • 9 months ago

Blame [url=https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/02/heres-what-the-sacklers-didnt-want-you-to-see-in-the-oxycontin-lawsuit/<]Purdue Pharma and the Sackler Family[/url<] for ("legally") creating many of the addictions that are now being fed via fentanyl and heroin.

• shaq_mobile
            • 9 months ago

I just don’t know how people like that feel ok with who they are. It breaks my heart how quick some people embrace that level of greed. We all have problems, for sure, but that’s next level cruel. 🙁

I actually have a number of friends who have struggled with opiate abuse. We used to abuse casually and somehow I just got lucky by not getting sucked down that rabbit hole.

Come to think of it, I know more people that have died from drug abuse than any other unnatural cause. I don’t know a single person who abused heroin that doesn’t have chronic pain issues now.

I’m definitely of the libertarian bent when it comes to drug use, but with how much damage some drugs do I find it hard to justify. 🙁

• BobbinThreadbare
            • 9 months ago

We should provide treatment and care, not punishment, but that’s not the American way

• Srsly_Bro
            • 9 months ago

But where does my boy @morphine for into all of this?

• faramir
            • 9 months ago

Give etoricoxib (sold under name “Arcoxia”) a try to avoid such issues:

[url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etoricoxib[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
            • 9 months ago

Over the last few years pill size was lowered from 500mg to 325mg for that reason. People think more is better but more ruins livers.

• sweatshopking
            • 9 months ago

In Canada it’s still 500 for extra strength, which is sold in massive quantities.

• BobbinThreadbare

It’s the same in USA 325 for regular, 500 for extra

• MOSFET

Thank you for assuming.

• Redocbew
    • 9 months ago

The Nano S for $40 is a pretty good deal. It might not be quite as tiny as some other ITX cases, but for half the cost of something like the Node 304 it’s hard not to consider it.

• 9 months ago

We can agree to disagree.

I feel that large mITX cases are a dumb oxymoron. The Nano S is as big as some decent mATX cases without any of the motherboard compromises that the mITX Nano S forces you to make. Not to mention that the extra cost of an mITX board cancels the savings of buying the cheaper Nano S.

At the end of the day, all you’ve done is compromised your motherboard and limited your upgrade options for no savings in money or space.

[i<]Derp edit: Nano S, in this article, not Node304 :P[/i<]

• Redocbew
        • 9 months ago

Speaking of the Node304 specifically, I guess it’s the case its self I like more than the form factor. I agree that mATX gives you more options, but I’ve personally never needed them. I’m sure other people do. When I was picking parts for this machine I considered just getting a NUC or something that really is super-tiny, but that would have been 2x the cost of just replacing what had died.

• DPete27
    • 9 months ago

With my recent purchase of a Samsung Q6 TV (w/ FreeSync!!) and my existing Samsung C27HG70 gaming monitor, I’ve decided that VA is fine for computer monitors, but NOT for TVs because of the color shift @ wide viewing angles. The TV has an “accurate” color viewing angle of about 30 degrees each side of center.

A word of caution.

• tay
      • 9 months ago

Agree with the part that VA is not particularly good for TVs. I bought a bottom of the barrel Visio VA panel TV and it turned me off VA because of black crush and viewing angles. Bought an expensive IPS monitor after that, because despite IPS glow on black screens, it looks much better when it’s actually displaying images.

• CScottG
      • 9 months ago

-when a curved panel TV might make more sense. (..I noticed this same behavior when getting closer and closer to the larger panels, along with brightness “drop-off”.)

Of course the curved panel looks absurd when used as a TV considering the relatively small size and typical distance from it.

• DPete27
        • 9 months ago

I’d wager that curved VA panels would be worse from a side viewing angle. Not only is the side nearest to you curved away, so the color shift is worse than flat, but the far side is curved toward you, so it would be more vivid. Hence resulting in an uneven gradient across the TV width. I think that would be more noticeable and jarring than simply having uniform color shift on a flat panel.

From a computer monitor standpoint, curved works well for VA since you’re generally only sitting directly in front of the monitor.

• CScottG
          • 9 months ago

-yeah, I meant from a close-distance single-person “monitor” view.

I really like it when it fill’s your peripheral vision, at least for gaming (..and you can always move back from it for productivity.)

For TV viewing: flat-only, and for the most part +/-30 degrees should be fine considering the TV is usually placed far *enough away from the viewers. (..though tighter “apartment” spaces could certainly alter that situation, so of course in this context caution could well be warranted.)

*more than 15′ is typical for my family, and well within that modest (angle) seating area (..unless guests are over, and I (lol) really don’t care how mediocre the picture is for them.)

• 9 months ago

For our uses it’s fine, but if you have a wide living room, you have a good point. I knew going in that the viewing angles on the 55P605 were relatively poor (that 30 degrees, as you said) because I read it on RTings. But our couch is basically head-on thanks to a viewing distance of around 11 feet. Like. you said, a word of caution, but it’s not all bad. It saved me $1000 over an OLED of similar size.

• DPete27
        • 9 months ago

Yeah, our viewing distance is a scant 7 feet and we’ve got 2 couches. The second couch is a good 45 degrees off center. It’s really just blacks and skin tones that I notice. Coming from my IPS TV before this didn’t help. Viewing angle aside, the Q6 is light years better than my 9 year old 40″ 1080p TV this replaced, except for the viewing angles of course.

Like you, I also couldn’t justify spending more than the$700 on my 55″ Q6. Was hoping to wait another year for OLED to get under 1k, but our TV died, so…

• 9 months ago

What stinks is that you had to spend the money to find out the hard way, which is a big disappointment.

• DPete27
    • 9 months ago

[quote<]G.Skill Aegis 16 GB kit of 3000 MT/s DIMMs...the heatsinks are unobtrustive[/quote<] More like non-existent. (not that that's a bad thing)

• JustAnEngineer
      • 9 months ago

When I installed the second fan on the [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045<]NH-D15[/url<], I had to shuck the tall heatsinks off of my [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232399<]Trident Z[/url<] DIMMs.

• Waco
      • 9 months ago

I have the exact same sticks in my desktop. The backside of each DIMM is blank (which is wonderful) and the stickers are backed with what feels like foil for heat dispersion. I doubt they need anything remotely resembling a heatsink, but I had no troubles getting 4 sticks running DDR4-3000.

• MOSFET
        • 9 months ago

I bought 64GB of G.Skill Fortis in June 2017 (16GB x 4), DDR4-2400 AMD-approved. Back then they tested perfectly with MemTest86, but now they fail hard, even running one DIMM at a time as slow as 1866, all four sticks (tested one by one, and two by two). I know Aegis isn’t technically Fortis, but it looks identical – so use caution with wonderful cheap RAM.

• Waco
          • 9 months ago

G.Skill isn’t cheap in that sense. They also have a lifetime warranty. Further…you’re absolutely sure it isn’t platform updates (BIOS, Agesa, IMC degredation, etc)?

• morphine
      • 9 months ago

Well [i<]technically[/i<] they're, there. Not so much in practice, I'll give you that.