Bargain basement: a Threadripper 1920X for $280, a 1 TB NVMe SSD for $145, and more

Good afternoon, gerbils. My flu appears to have finally broken, but I still feel like I need about three days' worth of extra sleep to make up for it. Nevertheless, I'm going to try and hit the gym later today and run some to see if my body starts waking up again. Being sick mostly doesn't stop me from hunting down sweet PC hardware deals, though. Here are today's top picks.

• At first glance, a super-cheap high-end CPU sure looks like an oxymoron. There's a story behind that today, though. The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X is a mighty X399 processor with a total of 12 cores supporting SMT, for a total of 24 threads. Sheesh. Each individual core can hit a 4 GHz turbo speed, and there's 32 MB of L3 cache on tap. This CPU is kind of the gateway drug to the world of high-end desktop and workstation computing, and it's selling for a stupid-low $279.99 at Amazon. I'd hurry up and order if I was you, we suspect that deal won't last long. Thanks to Shinare at the TR forums for the hot tip.

• There's been a string of great NVMe drive deals lately, and the one we have today is for the Silicon Power P34A80 1 TB NVMe SSD. This unassuming-looking drive packs a real punch, as it's underpinned by a Phison E12 controller and Toshiba 3D TLC NAND. It's rated for sequential speeds of up to 3200 MB/s on reads and 3000 MB/s on writes. It's also covered by a five-year warranty to boot. That list of specs is more often seen on marked-up drives of bigger brands, but you can currently have this model for just $144.99 from Amazon.

• You've got the processor up above, now check out the RAM. The Geil Super Luce RGB Sync 16 GB kit at 3000 MT/s is a spiffy-looking set of sticks. The generously-sized heatsinks ensconce RGB LED lighting compatible with Asus' Aura Sync software, ready to make your build stand out. The price is particularly palatable at just $89.99 at Newegg.

• How about you stop trying to aim in games and just do it? For that, you'll need a quality rodent like the Razer DeathAdder Elite. It's got an uncomplicated shape, just the right amount of buttons, rubber side grips, a 16,000-DPI sensor, and RGB LED lighting. In short, everything you need, and nothing you don't. The asking price is currently $37.99 at Amazon, a figure that we suspect won't last long.

• Let's hear it for thin-and-light portables. We have a pair of those today, and the first one is the Asus ZenBook 15 (UX533FD-NS76). This 15.6" machine has a 1920×1080 display surrounded by thin bezels, and it's powered by a might Intel Core i7-8565U chip, a quad-core, eight-thread affair with a doubletake-inducing 4.6 GHz turbo speed. The chip sits next to 16 GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 1050 Max-Q graphics card with 2 GB of its own VRAM. Digital pack rats will be extra-happy to know that this machine comes with a 1 TB NVMe SSD (jeez). As the proverbial cherry on top, there's an IR camera with Windows hello support, a USB Type-C port, and Bluetooth 5.0. Grab this portable for just $1299.99 from Newegg.

• You might prefer a slightly smaller, simpler machine like the Acer Swift 3 (NX.GQJAA.003). This blue-shaded laptop comes fitted with an Intel Core i5-8250U processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256-GB solid-state drive. The 14" 1920×1080 display sits inside a metal chassis. There's 802.11ac Wi-Fi in a 2×2 arrangement with MIMO support, too. The amount of $529.99 is all you'll need to take this laptop home from Newegg.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• B166ER
    • 5 months ago

Silicon Power P34A80 1 TB NVMe SSD Looks to be a beast. Reviews I’ve seen are nothing to laugh about, and for 145??? Man I’m getting ready to pull the trigger.

• 5 months ago

With Zen 2 coming to AM4 in a few months, you do need to be pretty desperate for more than 8 cores to buy a 1920X right now.

Although only rumours, a purported Ryzen 7 3700X will run 12C/24T at 4.2GHz Base and 5.0GHz turbo. That’s going to run rings around the 1920X and bring all the cost savings of the cheaper AM4 platform.

If you want PCIe lanes, then I guess the 1920X still makes some sense but 2nd-gen Threadripper will be hot on the heels of the Ryzen 3000-series launch as well.

• Anonymous Coward
      • 5 months ago

Its got the bandwidth edge in both PCIe lanes and RAM, and its available now, established, and a fine price.

But this summer… 5ghz turbo sounds pretty fierce, right there with Intel. 12 cores on desktop… wild. Pointless, but wild. Good thing AMD does this with glue, so they don’t bankrupt themselves on silicon in order to win the pissing contest.

• Waco
      • 5 months ago

If there’s a 12 core model, there will be a 16 core model. It’s already been established publicly that the chiplets are 8 cores each.

• Anonymous Coward
        • 5 months ago

I wonder what they’ll do with 12 cores…. we need some games that run simulations or something. I’d like a game not unlike minecraft but simulating a vast area with ecosystems, villages, even nations.

• K-L-Waster
    • 5 months ago

For Canadians, Newegg.ca has the 1950X on for $860 CDN (which is $540 CDN off regular price).

[url<]https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447&ignorebbr=1[/url<]

• plonk420

probably cheaper to bid on a US one for $400-500

• R-Type
    • 5 months ago

I wouldn’t buy an Acer anvil as it will break the day the warranty runs out on it and Acer will say they never made it in the first place.

• 5 months ago

I am distrustful of Acer support too.

I think my favourite experience was when a 3-month old monitor died on me. I sent it in under RMA and they took two months to replace the panel with a new one but stole my AC power brick and power cord, as well as mashing the plastic housing with their pry tool so that it looked like an animal had been chewing the edge of the frame. After wasting at least two hours trying to sort a replacement I was told that I’d be liable for the cost of the replacement at over €80, at which point I told them to suck it and found the Delta Electronics part number and ordered one off eBay for £18. The monitor was garbage anyway (smeary Samsung VA) so I ebayed it as a refurb with 6mo warranty and cut my losses.

I’ve also had issues invoking the warranty on a few laptops and failed PSU in one of their AIO towers. They’re the cheapest of the cheap and their warranty is barely worth the time you’ll waste on it.

• ronch
        • 5 months ago

I generally like Acer because I haven’t had to send anything back for warranty but a bad experience I had was when this Acer cellphone’s mp3 playback through the audio jack became so bad after a system update. I talked to support and they told me to do a certain procedure. It didn’t work so I told them so, but they kept insisting that it should be ok now. Then they just disappeared. I brought it up fiercely in their Taiwanese site’s user forums and it seemed I’m not the only guy having my particular issue. They said they’ll forward it to the software team and sure enough, after about a month a new update rolled out that fixed the issue. After that, so far so good.

They certainly can improve on certain things but I think tech support is something few companies can do right every time. Even Apple botches things up. Check out Louis Rossman’s YouTube channel to see some Genius Bar horror stories.

• Anonymous Coward
      • 5 months ago

Yeah I’d think an anvil would be among the worst possible uses for a cheaply made computer.

• 5 months ago

Can’t get more bargain-er than free. Bethesda is giving away Morrowind to celebrate 25 years of The Elder Scrolls. Requires a promo code, TES25TH-MORROWIND

[url<]https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-25-bethesdas-giving-away-free-morrowind-copies-to-celebrate-25-years-of-the-elder-scrolls[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
      • 5 months ago

After several playthroughs of Skyrim, I decided to play Morrowind. Almost 150hrs later I finished all the quests I could find, freed so many slaves, and enjoyed almost every minute. I hated the cliff racers and constantly attacking me every 15 seconds so I used a mod to fix that. It’s literally endless Cliff racer battles without the mod.

All in all, I had more enjoyment from Morrowind than Skyrim. I’m on Oblivion right now.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 5 months ago

It’s also 7.50 on steam rn and I think that’s worth not having another launcher. Ymmv

• demolition
        • 5 months ago

You only need the Bethesda Launcher to download the game. After it has completed the download, you can uninstall the Bethesda launcher and run the game directly from its installation directory and even add it as a custom game to Steam if you want to launch it from there. Obviously it won’t be a Steam game with achievements etc., but is that important?

• auxy
          • 5 months ago

Morrowind doesn’t have achievements anyway.

• NovusBogus
          • 5 months ago

I should look into whether any of their newer games have the same seemingly LCT friendly lack of post-download DRM. After all, I’m on record saying that I don’t care about Steam/GOG/whatever provided I get my game and am no longer tied to anyone’s lame Internet server after the download.

Which, incidentally, is the same reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Phoenix Point refund yet.

• sweatshopking

threadripper coming up at 430 for me

• drfish
      • 5 months ago

I was going to blame Canada, but yeah, it appears to be out of stock for that price. 🙁

• morphine

Jeez that was fast 🙁

• sweatshopking

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID.

• Redocbew
          • 5 months ago

Nobody has ever said that to me.

No, really. I mean it. Seriously. Who have you been talking to? Don’t listen to them.

• K-L-Waster
        • 5 months ago

Operation Clear-Out-Old-Inventory seems to have been successful….

• MileageMayVary
          • 5 months ago

I can only hope this means launch of the 3000 series sooooooon.