Bargain basement: an Intel 660p 2 TB NVMe drive for $200 and much more

G'afternoon, folks. it's a quiet day around here, but things are bound to heat up soon enough. Intel has a datacenter event going, and there are more than good chances that the company will announce sweet, juicy, high-powered hardware. Stay tuned for that. In the meantime, take a gander at our selection of hot deals of the day.

• The big-hitter deal of the day is the Intel 660p NVMe 2 TB solid-state drive. This is a workhorse drive fit for any general-purpose machine, and it can push 1800 MB/s on sequential reads and 1800 MB/s when writing. The random I/O figures are actually pretty decent at 220 K IOPS in either direction. You can slap this gumstick in your PC for just $199.99 from Newegg with the cart code EMCTYTV23.

• Might as well continue along the same lines, with the Crucial P1 TB NVMe drive. This offering is roughly in the same performance bracket as the drive above, and it can push 2000 MB/s in sequential reads and 1700 MB/s when writing. When it comes to random I/O, this model clocks in at 170K IOPS for random reads and 240K IOPS when writing. You can find this drive for the same exact price at two large e-tailers right now: $104.99 at the good ol' Newegg, and $104.99 from the folks at Amazon.

• Next up, a combo deal. The AMD Ryzen 7 2700 doesn't need a lot of introduction around these parts. It's got eight Zen+ cores, 16 threads, and each core can clock up to 4.1 GHz. Those are all good things, and that's 'nuff said. That chip will slot nicely into the MSI B450-A Pro motherboard. This simple-but-straightforward affair has a metal-jacketed main PCIe slot, an M.2 slot, and actual VRM heatsinks. Newegg is packaging up both items for $289.98, or $50 off the regular combined price.

• Here's one heck of a speedy display. The Asus ROG Swift PG258Q is a 25" display with a resolution of 1920×1080. So far so banal, but there are quite a few tricks up its sleeve. For starters the maximum brightness rating is 400 cd/m², and the refresh rate is a whopping 240 Hz. Finally, there's support for G-Sync adaptive refresh rate tech and a nitfy height-adjustable stand. Grab this monitor from Newegg for $489.99 with the cart code PG258QSALE.

• Moving on to the topic of potent portables, here's a hot model: the Dell G5 15" 5587 (fncwG5F703RPhMP) gaming laptop. This quality machine comes fitted with an Intel Core i7-8750H processor sitting next to a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card. There's 16 GB of RAM on tap, thankfully in a dual-channel configuration. A combo setup with a 128 GB NVMe drive and a 1 TB hard drive handles storage duties. The 15.6" display inside the lid has a resolution of 1920×1080. Rakuten asks but $887.49 for this laptop if you input the code DELL150 during the checkout process.

• Our second mobile machine today is similar to the one above, yet different. The Asus ROG Strix Hero II laptop we have on hand also has an Intel Core i7-8750H processor and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card, but most of the similarities stop right there. The RAM allotment is 8 GB, but there's a 256 GB NVMe solid-state drive. The hottest piece of kit, though, is the display: a 15.6" 1920×1080 with a 144-Hz refresh rate and a 3-ms response time, a fine fit for fantastic fast-paced gaming action. Walmart is selling this machine for $949.99 right now.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• ronch
    • 4 months ago

Man they’re really trying to clear 2700 stock, huh?

• ronch
    • 4 months ago

Seems to me SSD prices have bottomed out. Nowhere to go but up.

• Laykun
      • 3 months ago

Along with the performance

• ozzuneoj
    • 4 months ago

You can almost feel the hype for Zen 2 with the prices of Ryzen CPUs and boards being so low right now. These are massively powerful CPUs and very capable motherboards being sold at a huge discount over their normal price. It’s hard to resist those prices, but with a probably-substantial improvement only a couple months away, it’s also hard to justify upgrading now… at least for me, since I’ve been running my current system for 8 years already.

• ronch
      • 4 months ago

The 2700X is $295 right now. I think I’ll wait for Zen 2 benchmarks before deciding whether to buy a 2700X. Besides, prices of outgoing stuff probably have nowhere to go but down anyway. If Zen 2 is amazing then I won’t regret having bought a 2700X. If I decide to get a 2700X anyway (which is still gonna be fast) then it’ll probably be cheaper relative to Zen 2.

• K-L-Waster
        • 3 months ago

The only risk on that approach is if they clear their 2700X inventory before the Zen 2 benchmarks hit.

• Spunjji
          • 3 months ago

Seems like a risk worth taking, as the worst case scenario is owning Zen 2!

• The Egg
    • 4 months ago

Anyone still using mechanical storage for their games library should be grabbing one of those 2TB 660p’s for $199. Even if your motherboard is too old to have an M.2 slot, you can buy an adapter to go in a PCIe x4 (or x16) slot for under $20.

• willmore
      • 4 months ago

Conversely, if anyone needs more spinning rust to store their games, NewEgg has a refurb Seagate enterprise 6TB drive for $69.99. You need to be signed up for their deals emails, though.

Edited: Oh, never mind, they’re 12GB SAS drives. Probably not too useable for most people.

• nanoflower
        • 4 months ago

As far as that SAS drive goes I see Newegg and Amazon sell cheap adapters (under $20.) No idea how well they work but it’s a possible option to use those drives on a SATA based system.

Newegg tend to have good deal on the refurb drives all the time. The sales just make it that much cheaper. I’ve bought a couple of them (3TB SATA versions) and been pleasantly surprised at how reliable they’ve been. One had the data wiped so I don’t know how much use it had but the other only had a few hundred hours of usage.

• willmore
          • 4 months ago

I see those same adapater, but I don’t know how easy they are to work with. They’re meant for enterprise use and therefore might be tied to specific hardware (if not by physical limitation but by driver implemented locks).

I’d love to see someone look into that. I wonder if TR would be interested in such an article.

• The Egg
            • 4 months ago

Depends on the motherboard and BIOS. You’d probably have a hard time getting an older mb to boot off of it without workarounds, but it should work fine for secondary drives (as a games drive would be). As far as I can tell, there’s no translator chip(s) on the adapters at all, it’s just a straight physical conversion to PCIe x4

• tay

“games” library..

• JustAnEngineer
        • 4 months ago

Your actual games library has more need of low-latency random access than your “archive” files do.

P.S.: I move my game installs between two Steam Library directories – one that runs on a 2 TB MX500 and the other mapped to the NAS.

• Airmantharp
          • 4 months ago

Are you using Samba or iSCSI here?

• shaq_mobile
      • 4 months ago

I think I’m going to go full nvme next build. The concept of not having spinning platters or ssds dangling in my case is attractive. 1x 2tb is already more storage than I have for my old game library and project backup storage. The price on nvme stuff is insane now.

• Brother Michigan
        • 4 months ago

I am thinking of the doing the same thing. My hard drive is the loudest thing in my case now and the idea of getting rid while also getting a boost to performance is very attractive.

• Usacomp2k3
        • 4 months ago

nvme or M.2? I think anything <= 2TB should be on the M.2 physical interface, but personally I don’t think nVME vs SATA as a protocol adds any value to the average consumer.