National Burrito Day Shortbread

I prefer Purritos.

Speaking of bread, I took a break from my typical diet of space-based sci-fi and positively ate up Sourdough: A Novel​​ ​over the last few days. I don't recommend books lightly, because I know how unlikely I am to ever get around to the recommendations of others. Sourdough, however, rises to the occasion and I think it's the kind of read that a lot of gerbils would enjoy. Check it out if you are interested in what I suspect will be an enjoyable change of flavor from your regular order.

PC hardware and computing

1. The be quiet! Dark Base 700 White Edition case review @ PC Perspective
  2. Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB review @ bit-tech
  3. Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha review @ Guru3D
  4. Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock review @ Hexus
  5. Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280mm review @ KitGuru
  6. Corsair Ironclaw RGB gaming mouse review @ Legit Reviews
  7. Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL review @ TechPowerUp
  8. Old mainstream GPU: GeForce GTX 960 vs. GTX 1660 & RTX 2060 @ TechSpot
  9. Intel's Bean Canyon (NUC8i7BEH) Coffee Lake NUC review @ AnandTech

Games, culture, and VR

1. YouTube executives ignored warnings, letting toxic videos run rampant @ Slashdot
  2. Tickets, please: stolen Metro Exodus Steam keys canceled @ Rock Paper Shotgun

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Who knew cut grass would be so tricky to move! @ HackADay
  2. Components cut in half reveal their inner beauty @ HackADay
  3. Custom inflatables are only a laser beam away @ HackADay (did someone say custom inflatable?)

Science, technology, and space news

1. Lego gives middle schoolers coding confidence @ New Atlas
  2. Scientists witness lizard lay eggs and give live birth in same litter @ New Atlas
  3. India ASAT test debris poses danger to International Space Station, NASA says @ Ars Technica
  4. Amazon to offer broadband access from orbit with 3,236-satellite 'Project Kuiper' constellation @ Slashdot (watch out Elon, Bezos is coming for your piggy bank)

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. 'World's Best Cheese' costs $45 a pound and is available — finally — in Utah @ sltrib.com
Colton Westrate

I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• Shobai
    • 1 year ago

I hadn’t heard of a “farg-and-drop” platform prior to today.

• drfish
    • 1 year ago

Project Kuiper caught me completely off guard. Amazon has the money, but SpaceX has the lead. Space just got real. Blue Origin is moving too slow for my taste, but it’s now clear they are going after the same source of income that Elon was counting on. I wish both companies success, but I’d rather see SpaceX get to Mars than see Bezos pad his wallet.

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

Two competing networks that are purportedly going to be putting up close to 10,000 satellites raises my space junk worries quite a bit.

IIRC the orbits are quite low to minimize latency, so that at least means long term space junk is probably not a huge issue, but with all those devices whizzing around the chances of a collision are non trivial.

• Waco
        • 1 year ago

Whizzing around? They’re geostationary, aren’t they? 10,000 doesn’t seem like much compared to the vastness of LEO.

• chuckula
          • 1 year ago

You wouldn’t want them to be geostationary for a variety of reasons. None the least of which is the latency and transmitter power requirements for geosync. On top of that is that LEO makes geographic selectivity much easier to pull off vs. geosync that is exposed to a huge chunk of the Earth’s surface even with directional antennas.

But if you don’t believe me: [url<]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_(satellite_constellation)[/url<] I take back what I said about 10,000... it looks like we might be closer to 15 to 20 thousand if all of this actually happens.

• Waco
            • 1 year ago

That’s why I asked – I thought they were, but clearly they are not.

Even so, I don’t imagine even a few million would be something to worry about. Space is huge and satellites are tiny.

• DreadCthulhu
          • 1 year ago

No, both the proposed Starlink & Project Kuiper networks are NOT geostationary – LEO is much lower than a geostationary orbit. Geostationary is at about 35 thousand km up, while these networks are planned for under 1500 km orbits, which keeps latency, the Achilles heel current satellite internet, of nice & low. The low altitude also means that any broken satellites or the like will decay from orbit within a ~5 years or so. I know SpaceX/Starlink is specifically designing their satellites so that none of the parts have any chance of surviving reentry.

As for space, well there is plenty of room in LEO for tens, if not hundreds of thousands of satellites. Space is big. The Earth has a surface area of 510 million km^2. If you give each satellite its own 31.6×31.6km block (for a nice 1000 square km) you can fit more than half a million into each orbital plane.

• Waco
            • 1 year ago

Thanks! I’m interested in this stuff but haven’t been following anything about it.

• tay
            • 1 year ago

Nice! I love a comment with calculations.

• Ninjitsu
        • 1 year ago

Not to mention all the emissions from all those rocket launches…

• willmore
      • 1 year ago

Yeah, we’re half way to Kessler Syndrome. Honorary mention goes to India. Thanks, guys.

• Srsly_Bro

Half way there?

Living on a prayer?

• Shobai

Woah…

• Krogoth
        • 1 year ago

Chinese did much worst damage with their ASAT test back in 2007. I’m more concerned that Pakistan will attempt to duplicate India’s efforts with even more damage.

• Mr Bill
        • 1 year ago

Obligatory [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress<]The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress[/url<] link. Whomever gets a moon base first will have to splain it to the powers below that wacking satellites is a no no.

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

Hrmm…. TR posts a burrito day shortbread and then links to a BEAN canyon NUC ARTICLE??!!??

HOW MUCH DID INTEL PAY YOU TR!! HOW MUCH!!

Oh wait, you don’t have to answer that. I’ll just go check the bribes payable account.

• Srsly_Bro

Less than you!! Shilllll!!777!!!!lll

• Voldenuit

Hehehe.

Bean Cannon.

• chuckula
        • 1 year ago

New Intel codename…. CONFIRMED!

• Mr Bill
      • 1 year ago

Onboard sound with extra bean bass confirmed.

• Redocbew
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]Onboard sound with [s<]extra bean bass[/s<] eXtreme Bean Innovations(EBI)[/quote<] Fixed. I've been known to make a few bean innovations myself from time to time.

• Neutronbeam
    • 1 year ago

“rises to the occasion”? I doughn’t know about that remark.

Also, pro tip–Do not have broccoli burritos if you will then be in an enclosed area for any length of time, such as a movie theatre.

EDIT: Changed be then to then be.

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

You’re saying that it requires proofing?

• Neutronbeam
        • 1 year ago

OMG no; oh the humanity! Think of the children!

• Redocbew
          • 1 year ago

On second thought you’re right. Bread puns are so lamé.

• Neutronbeam
            • 1 year ago

You’re so right, we don’t knead them.

• Mr Bill
            • 1 year ago

Talk about a gluten for punishment.

• Krogoth
        • 1 year ago

You just need to build a refinery/morph a drone into an extractor/wrap in an assimilator.

• Krogoth
      • 1 year ago

What doesn’t kill you just makes you stronger.

• NTMBK
        • 1 year ago

What about that which kills small animals in the immediate vicinity?

• Redocbew
          • 1 year ago

That’s what they get for hanging around someone who would put broccoli in a burrito.

• Krogoth
          • 1 year ago

They better have roll enough for CON to survive the saving throws…..