Nintendo will add VR modes to Zelda and Mario on Switch

Nintendo's first attempt at virtual reality back in 1995, the Virtual Boy, was not very well received. The House of Mario is trying to turn that around through its Labo line of DIY cardboard project kits. Nintendo will combine its upcoming Toy-Con VR Goggles with new VR modes for its hottest selling properties: Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

On April 25, both Mario and Zelda will get VR updates for use with the headset. My personal favorite Switch game, Super Mario Odyssey, gets a handful of brand-new mini-games set in existing zones. Breath of the Wild, on the other hand, just gets compatibility with the goggles. VR mode can be toggled from within the game menu, so players don't need to start the game over to experience the kingdom of Hyrule in VR. It appears from the video in Nintendo's tweet that both games will still be played from a third-person perspective. Both updates will be made available free of charge.

Nintendo Labo unites cardboard kits with Nintendo Switch peripherals like the Joy-Con controllers that come bundled with the console to create novelty DIY projects. The Toy-Con VR kit that includes all of the different VR peripherals turns the Switch into an DIY cardboard headset for $80. Meanwhile, the starter set which comes bundled with just the goggles and Blaster peripheral will retail for $40. When the Toy-Con VR Goggles launch on April 12, both kits will be bundled with a handful of mini-games and applications. When these new updates hit Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, more Switch owners may be enticed into playing with cardboard.

derFunkenstein

Sega nerd and guitar lover

• Anovoca
    • 3 months ago

My neck hurts just looking at this. There is no way you are going to have the arm strength to hold that thing to your face with good posture for more than 5-10 minutes before you slouch over to rest your elbows, contorting your back and neck in the process.

The only way I would use this would be lying flat on my back; and not because I want VR, but because I’ve fallen asleep playing games on the switch in bed before only to promptly awaken to the screen smacking me in the face.

• simulanis
    • 3 months ago

Great! Thanks for sharing virtual reality game idea [url<]https://www.simulanis.com/technologies.php[/url<]

• tipoo
    • 3 months ago

326PPI on my iphone 7 has some massive screen door effect for any VR, this will be cool for a few small demos but no one will be wanting to play VR on the Switch screen for long.

That’s where an update gets interesting, a 7nm straight die shrink of the TX1 should allow docked performance in undocked mode with power savings to spare, and a 1080p screen would be significantly better (even if not at big boy VR resolution)

• 3 months ago

Even as I was writing about it I couldn’t see this thing as something people would use for a long time. But then I remembered that it’s MADE OF CARDBOARD and figure that it’ll just fall apart before it gets used too much.

• jihadjoe
        • 3 months ago

Nintendon’t.

• Spunjji
      • 3 months ago

I’m not sure nVidia will ever produce that die shrink, though – they’d need invest engineering effort into bringing two outdated architectures over to a new process node.

Given Nintendo’s habit of relying on “proven” tech for their mobile devices, a straight swap for TX2 would seem more likely. That would still be enough to get them current docked performance in mobile use, so I’m with you on that being the most likely objective here 🙂

• godforsaken
    • 3 months ago

I know I’m not their target audience, because, f@#$ consoles.. but, I don’t think it’s possible to put into words just how godawful that egregious abomination to the gaming community really is.. I hope they got the guys from the Diablo Immortal reveal to show it to the public just to really drive the point home about how painfully bad this is

Of Course, they did make virtual boy, so maybe this was a bet from one exec to another saying ‘we decimated VR once, we can do it again’

• sweatshopking
    • 3 months ago

I’d say I’m surprised Nintendo released such a terrible product but I’d be lying.

• Krogoth