Bargain basement: a Corsair Void Pro RGB wireless headset for $70 and more

Greetings, folks. My latest tussles with my spine over its inability to stay straight has led me to a hunt down the chair aisle. I'm taking Jeff's long-ago-given advice to acquire something from Steelcase or Herman Miller, and I've been looking for appropriate butt buckets. The problem is, the quality ones are, my lawd, so expensive. The things we do for vertebrae. In the meantime, here's today's deal collection.

• Playing games or listening to music with poor-quality output devices is borderline torture. What you're looking for is something like the Corsair Gaming Void Pro RGB Wireless headset. This sleek-looking pair of cans has 50-mm neodymium drivers, Dolby Headphone 7.1 support, and a quality boom mic. Corsair says the battery should be good for 16 hours of wireless audio, and that you can get 40' away from your computer before your teammates realize you're not there. Newegg will sell you this set for $69.99 with the cart code EMCTYTV35. Sound good to you?

• Next up: a fine, affordable board for a Ryzen system. The Gigabyte B450 Aorus M is a solid offering with an M.2 slot with a heatsink on top, a an upgraded Realtek 8118 Ethernet controller, USB 3.1 Gen2 ports, and onboard RGB LED lighting. I've built a friend's system using this model, and it worked fine, which isn't something you can say about every board. Grab one for $74.99 from Newegg.

• Here's today's pack o' NAND, the Intel 660p 512 GB NVMe drive. This model is a common sight on our deals posts, as it's a fine NVMe desktop drive as they come. It should be good for 1500 MB/s sequential reads and 1000 MB/s writes. At the price it's at, there's no need to bother with SATA drives anymore: only $59.99 at Newegg with the cart code EMCTYTA22. Alternatively, you can get the Intel 660p 512 GB drive plus a G.Skill Aegis 8 GB DDR4 stick at 3000 MT/s for a total price of just $89.98.

• Here's today's rather large pack o' NAND, in the form of the HP EX920 1 TB NVMe solid-state drive. This fine PCI Express drive can push data at a rate of 3200 MB/s for reads and 1800 MB/s when writing. Its random I/O specs ring in at 350K IOPS for reads and 250K IOPS when inhaling data. Those specs scream "high-end," but the price is decidedly budget at only $140.24 at Rakuten with the checkout code KEY25.

• A day doesn't go by without a fast gaming laptop on sale, and the one on hand today is the Dell G7 15 7590. This is a decidedly high-end model, both in build quality and specs. Ticking away inside the chassis sits an Intel Core i7-8750H processor sitting pretty next to 16 B of RAM and a storage combo setup with  a 128-GB NVMe SSD plus a 1 TB hard drive. The star of the show, however, is the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card—a rather beefy pixel-pusher for a laptop. The 15.6" IPS screen has a resolution of 1920×1080, and the generous port selection includes USB 3.1 Gen2 ports of multiple flavors, Ethernet, HDMI, and mini-DisplayPort connectors. Take this portable home for $1479.99 from Rakuten.

• Looking for a meaty RAM upgrade? Here's the G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB kit of 3000 MT/s DIMMs. There's not much to say about these, and that's just fine. The heatsinks are red, the timings are 16-18-18-38, and the price is a mere $149.99 at Newegg.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Ummagumma

wireless RGB headset!

Pluzee!!!

When will this RGB crap die and go away?

• SoM

the headset newegg link is pointing to the intel 660

• morphine
      • 8 months ago

Derp, way too much paste. Fixed.

• Sargent Duck
    • 8 months ago

In my gaming laptop, I have a 128GB M.2 and a 256GB sata 3.

At these prices, almost seems like I should sell both my drives and get these M.2 sticks. I’d be saving a ton of weight not having that Sata 3 drive in there

• morphine
      • 8 months ago

The Intel 660p in particular has become so cheap that I’ve recommended and built using it instead of a SATA drive. Way more performance for only 10€ more, and no wires? Sold!

• freebird
        • 8 months ago

I’d spend a little more and get TLC based NVMe drives…but they (Intel 660p) are very inexpensive. But yeah, I wouldn’t be buying a SATA SSD unless you need multiple and several TBs of them.

• K-L-Waster
    • 8 months ago

I used to use an Aeron, which served me well for over a decade but eventually wore out. I replaced it a year ago or so with a Steelcase Gesture, and have been very happy with it.

Both are very expensive — having said that, how much is your health worth? They cost about as much as a GTX 2080 / 2080 TI, but arguably will have a much longer useful lifetime and will be used for something much more important than squeezing out more FPS and visual effects.

• Krogoth
      • 8 months ago

Quality back and lumber support are worth their weight in gold. You don’t appreciate them until aging and negligence creeps up on you.

• morphine
        • 8 months ago

Yeah, like what just happened.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 8 months ago

Don’t forget the things a person should be doing when he/she isn’t in the chair. A gym membership is generally less than $50 a month and sometimes half or less depending on employer. The largely obese/over weight population doesn’t care too much about overall health.

People are lazy and neglect their health from young adult-hood on. A magical chair is only part of the preventative maintenance practices a person should follow. Stay active, stretch, exercise and have a nice chair.

Thank me in 20 years, dorks.

• K-L-Waster
        • 8 months ago

You *are* aware that proper exercise and proper ergonomics are not mutually exclusive, right?

I’d also ask if you’re aware it’s possible to provide suggestions without including unnecessary ad-hominem attacks, but I think we all know the answer to that one….

• NovusBogus
      • 8 months ago

I also use an Aeron and have been quite satisfied with it. Had one for two years at my first job and became fully convinced of both its value and longevity.

Also tried a Gesture at a Steelcase dealership, and thought it was pretty good. They only wanted $500 for it–quite a deal for that model, owing to it being an ugly color they wanted to get rid of–but since I already had a nice chair I passed it up.

If you’re on a tight budget, be sure to check your local HM/Steelcase dealers for special deals and used furniture. Corporate chairs are like corporate PCs, built to last forever and often sold in large batches. This is also a good way to try out the chairs before buying. Also, HM usually has a sale in April or May and 10-15 percent off a thousand dollar chair is kind of a big deal.

• shaq_mobile
        • 8 months ago

I have an aeron at work and a ergohuman v2 at home. I love the mesh chairs. I keep seeing those dxracer chairs and they seem really uncomfortable, but they’re a little more inexpensive.

Backsweat is a serious disability of mine. Once I moved away from my old cheap pleather chair to the mesh and fabric ones, it was a game changer.

• [+Duracell-]
          • 8 months ago

My only problem with mesh is that, if the room is even slightly drafty during the winter, your back and butt get pretty cold.

It’s been a godsend in every other season, though.

• [+Duracell-]
      • 8 months ago

I bought an Aeron a few years ago and it was well worth the price. My wife and I make use of it daily.

Mine was relatively inexpensive new through their site; got it during their 15% off sale and I got it without arms, which subtracted $150 (!!). I hate armrests, anyways, as they don’t usually put my arms in the most comfortable spot to begin with.

• ron_nelson
    • 8 months ago

ouch.. yesterday’s Woot was an Aeron chair refurb for 1/2 price. I’m a big fan of them, on my second now…