Dance Like a Chicken Day Shortbread

Of course, there's more than one way to dance like a chicken.

PC hardware, computing, and RGB LEDs

1. Upgrading from an Intel Core i7-2600K: testing Sandy Bridge in 2019 @ AnandTech
  2. Silverstone Argon series AR11 low profile CPU cooler review @ PC Perspective
  3. Cooler Master MasterBox Q500L review @ bit-tech
  4. Edifier G4 Pro headset review @ Guru3D
  5. PC Specialist 15.6" Recoil III GTX review @ Hexus
  6. WD Blue SN500 SSD review @ HotHardware
  7. MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard review @ KitGuru
  8. Intel Optane Memory H10 review @ Legit Reviews
  9. Sennheiser GSP 550 review @ TechPowerUp
  10. Nvidia teaching robots to master IKEA kitchens @ HackADay

Games, culture, and VR

1. Detective Pikachu film review: this is how you adapt a video game for theaters @ Ars Technica
  2. 28 years later, hacker fixes rampant slowdown on SNES' Gradius III @ Ars Technica
  3. Red Hat changes logo after customers call it 'sinister', 'secretive' @ Slashdot

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Robot arms nudge the hands of time in the strangest clock @ HackADay
  2. Hackers breached 3 US antivirus companies, researchers reveal @ Ars Technica
  3. Rwanda is way ahead on delivery drones @ Slashdot (way cool)

Science, technology, and space news

1. How a half-inch beetle finds fires 80 miles away @ Slashdot
  2. Jeff Bezos unveils his sweeping vision for humanity's future in space @ Ars Technica
  3. A war is brewing over lithium mining at the edge of Death Valley @ Slashdot (interesting dynamic at work here)
  4. Hermeus announces plan to build the fastest aircraft in the world @ Ars Technica (whoooosh!)

Cheese, memes, what have you

1. Say cheese! Musk Ox farm welcomes babies Gouda and Muenster @ ktva.com
  2. Cottage cheese is even better whipped @ skillet.lifehacker.com
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• K-L-Waster

Irony Alert.

[quote<]Hackers breached 3 US antivirus companies, researchers reveal [/quote<] "If the building catches fire, whatever you do, don't call the fire department."

• not@home
    • 3 months ago

Thanks TechReport, now I have polka music stuck in my head.

• Goty
    • 3 months ago

Another speculative execution vulnerability has been reported for all Intel Core CPUs 7th gen and older. [url<]https://www.wired.com/story/intel-mds-attack-speculative-execution-buffer/[/url<] Intel has reportedly already offered a patch to OS vendors for the affected hardware and expects a performance impact of 8 to 9 percent in certain scenarios. Intel and the researchers who claim to have first discovered the vulnerability disagree on the severity of the issue, with the researchers recommending users of vulnerable, unpatched systems disable HT, while Intel's rationale for claiming the vulnerability is more minor is essentially, "it leaks [i<]so much[/i<] information that you won't be able to find the bit that you want." So there's that.

• Voldenuit
      • 3 months ago

[quote<]Intel's rationale for claiming the vulnerability is more minor is essentially, "it leaks so much information that you won't be able to find the bit that you want." So there's that.[/quote<] Yeah, I saw their rationalization and I was like, 'wtf?'.

• K-L-Waster
        • 3 months ago

That’s an [i<]interesting[/i<] variation on "security by obscurity"...

• Waco
      • 3 months ago

Your interpretation of Intel’s response is the same as mine. “There’s a lot of data to sample, so you probably won’t find what you’re looking for.”

That’s nice PR talk, but jesus, that’s a crappy copout if you realize what they’re really saying.

• oldog
      • 3 months ago

Does that worry you more than this little issue with iOS?

[url<]https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pajkkz/its-almost-impossible-to-tell-if-iphone-has-been-hacked[/url<] I would being argue that being unable to tell if you've been had is a much worse problem.

• K-L-Waster
        • 3 months ago

“Yeah, I think I’m going to go with door number none-of-them, Alex.”

• Goty
        • 3 months ago

Not really, but that’s because I don’t currently own (nor do I ever plan to) own any iOS devices since my last one.

• CScottG

Nice stock photo.

I mean just look at those breasts and legs! ..and that bronze skin was just “to die for”!

(..I’m on the tail-end of a fast, which never seems “fast” enough.)

• superjawes
    • 3 months ago

[quote<]Rwanda is way ahead on delivery drones @ Slashdot (way cool)[/quote<] A Slashdot blurb doesn't quite do Rwanda's "blood delivery by drone" system justice. Here's a video from Wendover Productions from January: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoUBfLxZz0<]The Super-Fast Logistics of Delivering Blood By Drone[/url<]

• DPete27
    • 3 months ago

Interesting article from Anandtech with the 2600K/7700K/9700K comparison.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 3 months ago

My 2700k @4.5 will ride for a few more months.

• DPete27

Oh for sure. At least to see what Ryzen 3000 has in store

• blastdoor

Very cool article.

My main takeaways —

1. Despite the small annual increases in performance to the contrary, the latest from Intel represents a large enough cumulative increase in performance relative to Sandy to warrant an upgrade for anyone who uses their computer for computationally-intensive work (especially multithreaded). Upgrading from Sandy isn’t a dumb thing to do, not by any means.

2. This was over 8 years! If you go back 8 years from 2011, you end up in Prescott territory. Compared to the 8 years before 2011, the 8 years since have been pretty much as lame as we all thought.

3. I wonder how things will look in 2027…. can we do better than the last 8 years? Or is it all downhill from now? On the upside, we have more competition now. On the downside, physics.

• NTMBK
        • 3 months ago

[quote<]This was over 8 years! If you go back 8 years from 2011, you end up in Prescott territory. Compared to the 8 years before 2011, the 8 years since have been pretty much as lame as we all thought. [/quote<] And 8 years before that was the Pentium Pro. It's crazy to think how much things have slowed down. I don't know if we'll ever see that rate of progress again.

• K-L-Waster
        • 3 months ago

My guess is 8 years from now we will be going wider rather than IPC — i.e. instead of going to faster cores we will be adding more of them. 16 or more cores will likely be mainstream rather than HEDT territory.

• blastdoor
          • 3 months ago

I wonder if the smartphone SOC is an indicator of things to come — not just wider, but also much more heterogeneous. Big cores, little cores, and highly specialized cores/units.

• Goty
            • 3 months ago

That’s the gist of Intel’s new architecture they recently showed off, isn’t it? (Sunny Cove or something? Can’t remember off the top of my head.)

• Krogoth
      • 3 months ago

Just a minor nitpick from that line-up, but the Sandy Bridge chip had fast, factory-overclocked DDR3 DIMMs while Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake were paired with JEDEC-spec DDR4 DIMMs. It look like they were trying to minimize the impact of memory bandwidth and focus more on difference of raw CPU prowess. I suspect that performance gap between the chips would be wider if Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake had fast, factory-overclocked DDR4 at the helm.

• Waco
        • 3 months ago

Only for the overclocked results. That’s fine with me, the fact that they were running an unstable OC bothers me more.

• Waco
      • 3 months ago

Interesting further that they found instability in their overclocked 2600K…and brushed it off as non-consequential.

They suck at overclocking.

• Krogoth
        • 3 months ago

It could be that the age of CPU and motherboard are creeping up. Besides, most Sandy Bridges hit an overclocking wall around 4.4-4.5 GHz. Not many units went beyond that and a vanishing small number were able to hit 4.9-5.0Ghz even with exotic cooling.

• Waco
          • 3 months ago

Sure, I’m just saying it’s pretty misleading to present results that are useless. It’s more misleading given their justification that it’s still a valid CPU when overclocked.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 3 months ago

I ran mine on wcg @4.7 for years and mostly under load. Now about 4.5 is the max and requires lots more voltage.

• Waco
            • 3 months ago

Yep. Mine was at 4.9 and change for a long time. When I retired it it had trouble maintaining 4.4 even with more voltage.

Worth it.

• techguy
          • 3 months ago

You definitely remember Sandy Bridge incorrectly. There were guys running 5GHz+ on air. You’re probably thinking of Ivy Bridge.

• Krogoth
            • 3 months ago

Wrong, not many units could go that high without killer voltage. ~4.4-4.5Ghz was were most units land before you start needing to dump a lot of volts.

Coming from Bloomfield/Lynnfield which top out at around 4.0-4.2Ghz while consuming a lot of power. It is a noticeable gain from them.

Ivy Bridge scaled the same as Sandy Bridge but the thermals were more difficult to manage due to the whole thermal paste + inconsistent IHS mounting issue.

• 3 months ago

My 2500K was a 5.0 GHz booter but only at shockingly high overvoltage and I never ran it like that. 4.5 GHz was my daily driver and I’m convinced that you don’t want to exceed the default vCore by more than 5% for something that you expect to run for several years.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 3 months ago

Intel is dancing like a chicken after news AMD is sending the Romans to battle the 14+++++++ Xeons.

• 3 months ago

Arrested Development link FTW.

COO COO CA CHA!!!

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TphEh0Qgv0[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro

-1 sup?

• chuckula

-3 sdown?

• Krogoth
    • 3 months ago

Colonel Sanders is the best chicken dancing instructor. Nobody can beat the Kentucky Fried style. 😉

• chuckula

Oppa Kentucky Style !

• chuckula
    • 3 months ago

Back in the day I lived in Arlington, VA right across the street from an amazing Peruvian chicken joint. Good stuff.

• Captain Ned
      • 3 months ago

El Pollo Loco on N. Kenmore??

• chuckula
        • 3 months ago

The one I was thinking of is on Lee highway about a mile north of Balston, but I do remember El Pollo Loco too (it was a bigger operation).

• Srsly_Bro
        • 3 months ago

I’ve driven by that chain but I’ve never been inside, which is likely why I’m still alive today.

• Usacomp2k3
      • 3 months ago

I grew up in Peru and their rotisserie is fabulous. We used to go every year to…I can’t remember the name… for Father’s day (dad gets a free beer). GOod nostalgia memories there.