National Sea Monkey Day Shortbread

Nothing says "I'm a fish nerd again" like feeding live food. So, I had to test this thing out. Review incoming?

PC hardware, computing, and RGB LEDs

1. Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim review @ bit-tech
  2. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming OC review @ Guru3D
  3. AMD driver GPU memory timings benchmark in gaming @ Gamers Nexus
  4. Samsung 883 and 983 DCT SSD review @ HotHardware
  5. Sharkoon Drakonia II gaming mouse review @ KitGuru
  6. WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD with EKWB heatsink review @ Legit Reviews
  7. Tecware Phantom RGB keyboard review @ TechPowerUp
  8. The Team Group MP34 512GB SSD review @ AnandTech
  9. Vertical gaming mouse packs a pistol design for first-person shooter games @ New Atlas (now, where have I seen this before?)

Games, culture, and VR

1. Party like it's 2004 with WoW Classic starting August 27 @ Ars Technica
  2. The other half of Red Dead Redemption 2 has launched @ Quarter To Three
  3. A new Pokémon game has just launched on smartphones @ Nintendo Life

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. It took just five days for bitcoin to rise from $6,000 to $8,000 @ Ars Technica
  2. Long-lost "tasty genes" could soon be spliced back into store-bought tomatoes @ New Atlas
  3. OnePlus redefines premium with the 7 Pro @ TechCrunch
  4. Lifelike dinosaur emerges from the plumbing aisle @ HackADay (absolutely incredible)
  5. In this aussie's back yard, no cat is safe from an automated soaking! @ HackADay (Batman does not approve)

Science, technology, and space news

1. San Francisco could be first US city to ban facial-recognition technology @ Slashdot
  2. SpaceX plans to A/B test its Starship rocketship builds @ Ars Technica
  3. NASA's Artemis mission plans to put the first woman on the Moon by 2024 @ New Atlas
  4. 5G likely to mess with weather forecasts, but FCC auctions spectrum anyway @ Ars Technica (this device may not cause harmful interference unless you're the FCC)
  5. Victor Vescovo and the DSV Limiting Factor have found new depths in the Mariana Trench @ New Atlas

Cheese, memes, what have you

1. These dairy devils are making cheese from celebrities' bacteria @ atlasobscura.com (eww, science!)
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• DPete27
    • 7 months ago

In today’s world of modular rodents, why can’t you have your cake and eat it too with a removable pistol attachment to your mouse?

Zalman did it better, BTW.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 7 months ago

Let’s not forget Intel is still into bribing to gain a favorable outcome.

[url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/255563/intel-tried-to-bribe-dutch-university-to-suppress-knowledge-of-mds-vulnerability[/url<]

• anotherengineer
      • 7 months ago

nah it was chuck just reporting bugs, then refusing the reward so intel could add it to their bottom line 😉

• Redocbew
      • 7 months ago

Intel initially offered 40k as the bounty with the attached 80k “gift” so they could downplay the severity of the exploit. The researchers declined and threatened to withdraw from the bug bounty program altogether. The final bounty awarded was the maximum of 100k which was less than the original offer.

[url<]https://www.wired.com/story/intel-mds-attack-speculative-execution-buffer/[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
        • 7 months ago

I’m aware. Intel wanted to pay them less and take a tax deduction with the payment + donation greater than the value of the $100k bounty offer.

If the terms are $100k for the bounty, Intel can’t unilaterally change the terms in its favor. Intel was misbehaving and wanted to pay the researchers less and get a tax break at the same time. I’m glad they stood up to Intel.

• 7 months ago

No, that’s not how it happened. Intel [b<]did[/b<] pay the full $100,000. Last year. ZombieLoad/MDS exploits were discovered in September 2018 and the Dutch university that found them generously agreed to wait until May this year, a 180-day extension on top of the default 90-day NDA. Intel have been dragging their heels, because despite being given three times the normal length of time, have only just started rolling out patches for some platforms. Intel [b<]*wanted*[/b<] to buy the university's silence for another 6 months, offering $40+80K (done that way for tax kickbacks), whilst also requesting that the university lie about the severity of the exploit and downplay it to reduce the public exposure of this vulnerability. So, Intel followed their $100K bounty program rules. Then, after failing to do their homework despite a six-month deadline extension, Intel attempted to bribe the university rather than do the right thing and patch the f**king exploits. I can't wait for Zen2. Even if it's a disappointment, it won't be as big a disappointment as Intel has been these last few years.

• ermo
            • 7 months ago

If true, this is ugly with ugly on top.

• Srsly_Bro

• Redocbew
            • 7 months ago

Where is this story about the tax break coming from? I don’t doubt Intel(or anyone else in their position) would take such a tax break if it was available, but I have a hard time believing that was their reason for breaking up their initial offer the way they did. If the bounty of 40k was accepted they could have used that to help downplay the severity of the exploit.

• 7 months ago

Hmm, disregard that for now. I can’t remember the source and now I can’t find it.

I read that the 80K of the 40+80 offer was as a gift, and [i<]assumed[/i<] that it was for taxable deduction purposes. I mean why split it like that and make the distinction between payout and gift? Either way, it doesn't really change the events, but I mentioned it because it was the only reason I read that explained why the offer was in two parts rather than a single 120K payment.

• Redocbew
          • 7 months ago

I’m not disagreeing that there was some shady tactics used here. I just don’t think the techpowerup story does a great job of explaining things, and I wouldn’t call the bounty in its self a bribe. I’m sure the bug bounty program has its own rules around disclosure, and there’s industry standard rules around how to responsibly disclose exploits like this. All parties involved knew what those rules were, and yet there Intel was offering more than the stated maximum in their own program for a bug they supposedly had already discovered, but with additional strings attached.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 7 months ago

I know it isn’t June yet, and TR isn’t going to report on it, so everyone (except Chuck who already knows) is going to get an early cancelled Intel product/feature.

For the month of June, Intel is cancelling Hyper-threading on all CPUs.

The added feature is that your i7 now becomes an i5. And if you were silly enough to get an i9, now it’s an i5.

[url<]https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/mds.html[/url<] [url<]https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-disable-hyper-threading-spectre-attack,39333.html[/url<] Apple warns that up to 40% CPU performance loss can be expected. [url<]https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107[/url<] I'm not sure how much longer Intel can keep this up. The only schedule it can reliably deliver on is bad news and cancelled/failed products/features.

• sweatshopking
      • 7 months ago

now my 4790k is well slower than my brothers Ryzen cpu. THIS IS HORRIBLE.

• Redocbew

You have truly failed.

• DoomGuy64
        • 7 months ago

Wanna buy a used Ryzen 1600X?

• sweatshopking
          • 7 months ago

That would depend on the price…

• FireGryphon
      • 7 months ago

My i3 should be OK. Slow and steady wins the race?

• NTMBK

Your i3 is now a Pentium

• K-L-Waster
      • 7 months ago

Today Intel announced that it is cancelling Intel. CEO Robert Swan said, “We were going to cancel each product individually, but the press release ended up being longer than War and Peace so we decided to cut to the chase.”

• blastdoor

It’s their swan song

• Goty
      • 7 months ago

Apple’s 40% performance loss is because they just straight up turn off HT. Intel expects an 8-9% performance impact from the patch, though I expect that’s just going to be in edge cases just like the previous patches.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 7 months ago

Microsoft also advised disabling HT.

• blastdoor
          • 7 months ago

And apparently Google is, too, with Chrome.

I’ve got an idea… Intel should come out with a new architecture that has no HT and instead has two integer cores that share a big AVX512 unit. That would allow them to have more physical cores — no need for HT!

They could call it Cowsnoozer….

• Goty
          • 7 months ago

Sure, but that’s just until the release their patch, right? I’m assuming it will be the same for Apple.

• Srsly_Bro
            • 7 months ago

The patch doesn’t prevent the attack entirely and disabling HT doesn’t competely mean you’re safe from the exploit either. Doing both still means you could be at risk. Only safe option is to not turn your PC on or get AMD.

• Goty

Psh, I only trust Cyrix.

• Wonders
        • 7 months ago

No, “they” don’t. You do — should you choose to do so — via a terminal command.

UNLESS… APPLE ITSELF INVENTED THE SPECTRE VULNERABILITY TO GAIN WIDESPREAD ROOT ACCESS TO ALL MACS, IN ORDER TO RUN THE TERMINAL COMMAND TO DISABLE HYPERTHREADING, IN ORDER TO FULLY MITIGATE ALL POSSIBLE RISK OF THE SPECTRE VULNERABILITY. THEY KNEW THEY THEMSELVES WOULD INVENT IT IN THE FUTURE, AND HAD TO PROTECT AGAINST IT [i<]BY INVENTING IT.[/i<] Anyhoo, most of that was contingent on a now-cancelled Intel roadmap. So that's why now you have to run the terminal command yourself: [quote<]Although there are no known exploits affecting customers at the time of this writing, customers with computers at heightened risk or who run untrusted software on their Mac can optionally enable full mitigation to prevent harmful apps from exploiting these vulnerabilities. Full mitigation requires using the Terminal app to enable an additional CPU instruction and disable hyper-threading processing technology. This [...] may reduce performance by up to 40 percent, with the most impact on intensive computing tasks that are highly multithreaded. Learn how to enable full mitigation.[/quote<] Source: [url<]https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107[/url<]

• NTMBK
          • 7 months ago

It’s all a ploy to make their magical ARM CPU look even better!

• DPete27
      • 7 months ago

Why isn’t AMD’s SMT affected?

• Srsly_Bro
        • 7 months ago

AMD’s response was that their implemention of smt architecturally is likely not susceptible to the attack as Intel’s smt is.

• Redocbew
        • 7 months ago

After skimming through the “zombieload” research paper I wouldn’t be so sure that it isn’t, or at least I wouldn’t rule out a similar exploit being possible. This exploit takes advantage of a buffer used to help resolve memory dependencies that is shared for all logical cores belonging to the same physical core. I assume AMD does this differently in some way.

In any case, it sounds like the authors haven’t entirely figured this out yet either.

[quote<]For Meltdown, Foreshadow, and Fallout, the source of the leakage is apparent. Moreover, for these attacks, there are plausible explanations on what is going wrong in the microarchitecture, i.e., what the root cause of the leakage is [45, 53, 68, 75]. For ZombieLoad, however, this is not entirely clear. While we identified some necessary building blocks to observe the leakage (cf. Section 5), we can only provide a hypothesis on why the interaction of the building blocks leads to the observed leakage[/quote<]

• the
      • 7 months ago

Huh, reading up on this it would appear that my Xeon Phi 31s1p is immune. Small favors I guess.

• NTMBK
        • 7 months ago

Cool bit of kit! We never justified getting any Phi (already too invested in CUDA), but it seemed like a really interesting toy to play around with.

• blastdoor
        • 7 months ago

Are the Phi cores in-order?

• Srsly_Bro
          • 7 months ago

But soon Intel will be out-of-order.

• sconesy
      • 7 months ago

The performance loss is almost, almost worse than the vulnerabilities.

• DragonDaddyBear
    • 7 months ago

Fish, you’ve shared your story of your family many times. I can’t fathom how you have time for posts and stories. You must have one amazing, supportive wife.

• drfish
      • 7 months ago

I most certainly do. That said, Bruno made made a bread baker early on which has saved me tons of time by automating most of shortbread’s assembly. Writing other stories is pretty much hobby status at this point, it’s a fun and edifying way to spend my time since I pick my own topics and generally just share what I’d be doing anyway. I highly recommend it.

• anotherengineer
      • 7 months ago

Indeed. I wish my……… ugh kids gtg

• chuckula
    • 7 months ago

[quote<]Sharkoon Drakonia II gaming mouse review @ KitGuru[/quote<] Totally expensing one of those and making sure that SHARKOON DRAKONIA II is prominently displayed on the invoice. That'll get approved in any corporation!

• shaq_mobile
      • 7 months ago

Is that one of those Asian companies that makes a wacky name to try to catch on with westerners? If so… It’s amazing. It sounds like an aquatic RPG that skipped the first installment.

• techguy
    • 7 months ago

Sea Monkeys are for poor people. I only use gold-plated Ocean Apes.

• drfish

To feed your trolls?

• techguy
        • 7 months ago

No, those are fed by the tears of AMD fanboys.

• drfish
          • 7 months ago

I thought they only ate glue?

• techguy
            • 7 months ago

That’s what the fanboys eat.

• chuckula
      • 7 months ago

Some of us appreciate the finer things I life.

I for one am a trollafficionado.

Ok that one made me laugh. +3

• Krogoth
      • 7 months ago

Pffft, such plebeian tastes. True patricians get Caesium-coated Sea Orangutans.

• techguy
        • 7 months ago

Nefarious malcontent! How dare you malign my taste with such impunity. Do you know who I am? My grandfather invented the autocar.

• Srsly_Bro

STOP SHAMING!! #TRIGGERED

• superjawes
    • 7 months ago

[quote<]Party like it's 2004 with WoW Classic starting August 27 @ Ars Technica[/quote<]Interestingly, there's no confirmation as to whether or not the Corrupted Blood bug would be intentionally included when that phase is rolled out. Seems like an interesting idea considering it was literally used to study the outbreak of diseases.

• nanoflower
      • 7 months ago

If that’s what I think it is I can’t see them including it. Never played WoW but I heard about how it impacted everyone so quickly.

• shaq_mobile
      • 7 months ago

Looks like that researcher tried to get stats on it but blizzard turned him down. As always, blizzard is demanding to be taken seriously.

• fredsnotdead
    • 7 months ago

Long ago, I used to hatch brine shrimp with a pickle jar, small aquarium air pump and stone bubbler, and a light. It worked well but I seemed to be allergic to the brine shrimp so I stopped. The fish certainly enjoyed live food.

• drfish
      • 7 months ago

I used [url=https://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco-Bay-Brand-Shrimpery/dp/B006OOO7V4/<]this model[/url<] as a kid and a version of the ever popular DIY soda bottle method. Ran across the design in the image a couple weeks back and was impressed at the simplicity and feedback. Excited to test it out myself.

• fredsnotdead
        • 7 months ago

It does seem pretty simple. Maybe even easy to clean.

• Mr Bill
      • 7 months ago

I used an old hospital fluids bottle because it came with a hanger. Did it a few times. But the owner of the local aquarium supply showed me that calf’s liver blended half and half with a thawed package of frozen spinach and then re-frozen was easier. Ya just scrape it with a knife to carve off a bit and swirl it in the water. I stopped using this method and switched to spirulina cichlid food but maybe its time for a reprise.