Bargain basement: a MacBook Pro 13″ for $1000 and much more

Hi there good fellows! I'm back to writing terrible introductions to deals posts again. On today's episode, I'm happy to report that my rather worrying shoulder and back problems are on a good track to recovery. Ever since a couple or three months ago, I've been regularly doing stretches multiple times a day and undergoing physical therapy, including but not limited to ultrasonic cannons, needle poking, electrical torture, and vice-grip squeezing. My chiropractor has also done great work in piecing out and rearranging the parts that comprise my upper spine to roughly, sorta, more-or-less where they should be… ish.

At any rate, I'm feeling much better both physically and mentally, because when one has a bad shoulder and back and proceeds to lose feeling on a thumb, one tends to execute evaluation of all sorts of potential not-happy outcomes. With that slowly getting out of the way, here's today's collections of PC hardware deals.

• Leading with Apple hardware is unusual for us, but hey, it's good to shake things up every now and then. The topmost deal today is the MacBook Pro 13" (MPXQ2LL/A). Outside, there's a gorgeous 2560×1600 display with a 500 cd/m² brightness rating and capable of reproducing the near-entirety of the rather wide DCI-P3 color space. Two Thunderbolt 3 ports stand ready to connect high-speed peripherals, and a top-notch trackpad awaits for user input. Inside sits an Intel Core i5-7360U dual-core, four-thread processor that can turbo to 3.6 GHz and has 64 MB of eDRAM next to the Iris Plus Graphics 640 GPU. Eight gigabytes of RAM and a 128 GB NVMe SSD round out the main specs. This machine may not be of the recently-announced latest crop, but it's selling for just $999.99 at Best Buy. If you prefer a similarly configured Macbook Air instead, Best Buy will hand you one for $949.99.

• If pure tablet computing is a primary occupation for you, then the iPad Pro 11" with 64 GB and Wi-Fi connectivity will be right up your alley. Its bright 2388×1668 display has a 120 Hz refresh rate (insane for a tablet) and covers almost all of the DCI-P3 color space. The machine is powered by an Apple A12X Bionic chip, a 7 nm mean machine with eight CPU cores in a 4+4 arrangement and a custom, high-end Apple GPU. A 4K camera sits on the back, while an HDR camera graces the front. The RAM allocation for this version is 4 GB, a generous allotment for iOS. You can have one of these from Best Buy for $674.99.

• And we're back to our scheduled programming. The Intel Core i5-9600K is one heck of a midrange CPU. While its six cores will easily make short work of multi-threaded tasks, gamers in particular should take notice as this chip can turbo to a whopping 4.6 GHz. As they say, there's no replacement for displacement, and that kind of clocks coupled with an IPC-effective architecture pay out frame time dividends. The price for this chip is only $264.99 at Newegg with the cart code EMCTAVY43.

• If all you need is a good, affordable CPU for a budget box, then you'll be quite hard-pressed to find a better one than the Ryzen 3 1200. This chip has four Zen cores and a boost clock of 3.4 GHz. The box includes a Wraith Stealth cooler for good measure. Newegg is asking but $54.99 for this processor if you input the cart code EMCTAVW24—an exceedingly low price. Consider that the cooler alone is easy $20, after all.

• Over in the monitor aisle, we have the Acer CZ350CK (bmiiphx), a big honkin' 35" ultra-wide curved display. It sports a VA panel with a resolution of 3440×1440 and a 100 Hz refresh rate. That's pretty nice already, but there's also FreeSync support on tap. The included stand offers height adjustment, a feature not always seen in affordable ultra-wide monitors. The price is only $399.99 at Newegg. Remember when these monitors were $900and up?

• Need to go faster? Here's the Alienware AW2518HF. It's 25" across and has a TN panel with a resolution of 1920×1080. Ho-hum, right? Well, there's a lot more the story. The refresh rate is a ridiculous 240 Hz, and naturally there's FreeSync support on tap. The monitor includes a host of connectivity options and a gorgeous stand with height, pivot, swivel, and tilt adjustments. The amount of $279.99 is all you'll need to take this super-fast gaming monitor home from Rakuten.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• 2 months ago

The MBP for $999 is actually a reasonable deal, if you want the highest quality dual-core/IGP/8GB/128GB netbook around.

I just dislike the word “Pro” in the name. There’s not enough anything in that model to qualify for the moniker.

• ronch
    • 2 months ago

I wonder what Louis Rossman has to say about this.

• TravelMug

Maybe he’s reading the TR comments? 😉

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIVZYevfGU[/url<] To be fair, I didn't need to watch the video to know what he would say about this model, but there it is anyway :))

• rudimentary_lathe
    • 2 months ago

Eight GB is not enough for a “Pro” laptop. And the Apple tax keeps growing – check out those prices to increase the RAM or storage!

I’m still using a 2012 MacBook Pro – the last model where the RAM and storage and not soldered. With 16 GB and a 512 GB SSD, it still hums nicely. My only concern now is that Apple is going to cease OS support with the next major release. I paid $1K for the device (before upgrades). No way I’m spending $3K on a new model when it’s inferior in many ways (keyboard, thermal throttling, only Thunderbolt ports, soldered parts, etc.).

• MOSFET
      • 2 months ago

Similar to you, I’m reading and typing now on a 2012 Dell Latitude 2C/4T Ivy Bridge laptop. I brought RAM up from one 4GB DIMM to dual-channel 16GB, and SSD from 128GB to 512GB. The next upgrade needs to be more cores.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 2 months ago

MacBook Pro 13″ (MPXQ2LL/A)

Now 40% slower, for free!

[url<]https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107[/url<]

• tipoo
      • 2 months ago

“These Mac models may receive security updates in macOS Mojave, High Sierra or Sierra, but are unable to support the fixes and mitigations due to a lack of microcode updates from Intel.”

How much is Apple pissed at Intel right now. They cited them and CPU supply issues as the reason for lower mac sales, these security issues, being stuck on 14nm. I think people aren’t paying attention if they still don’t think a switch to in-house processors for macs won’t happen in the next few years.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 2 months ago

Agreed. Intel’s lack of response with a customer at large as Apple is surprising. The game thing is going to happen with modems. Qualcomm just got in a bit of trouble related to the modem side. Companies pushing around Apple, a company with real war chests, can make decisions most companies aren’t able.

• sweatshopking
    • 2 months ago

1k for a dual core 7th gen cpu…?

• morphine
      • 2 months ago

High res DCI-P3 display (good luck finding that in anything under $1000), Thunderbolt 3, one of the best batteries inside a laptop, silent/quiet cooling system, aluminum (magnesium?) chassis, one of the best trackpads ever, silent/quiet.

There are things I hate in the machine, too (keyboard, only Type-C), but it’s all a matter of the price being right.

• sweatshopking
        • 2 months ago

Sure it’s a nice screen with decent battery life, but that cpu is like 2 years old and mid range at that.

I wouldn’t buy it.

But then, you knew that already.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 2 months ago

2 year old CPU and 40% slower is back to core 2 duo level. Would not buy.

• shaq_mobile
      • 2 months ago

I’ve had to send so many Macs back for batter y, hard drive, and keyboard issues the last year or two. I’d be careful. Maybe my mac users just throw them around more, but I’ve definitely seen a recent Uptick in hardware issues with Macs. Dell, surprisingly has been great. I have maybe 4-5x more Dell laptops and I’ve had zero issues (other than old batteries dying after three or four years).

Edit: that made it sound like I was telling you, ssk. I guess I just meant it as a general word of caution to anyone looking at a Mac. I did not intend to lecture you. You know what, it’s Friday, whatever. I’m going to go have some beer. Cheers everyone.

• sweatshopking

lecture away.

plus, many here would probably have heart attacks if i bought a mac, with my reputation as an MS fan

• Redocbew

+1 for having beer.

• Prestige Worldwide
    • 2 months ago

Do the Amazon and Newegg links work with their Canadian sites? I would love to give the Tech Report a kickback of maple syrup dollars if possible.

• morphine
      • 2 months ago

Hard to say for sure, but if you at least click an Amazon or Newegg link, if the referral cookie sticks for the .ca site (which for Amazon almost certainly does), we’ll get a cut.

• Sargent Duck
      • 2 months ago

Click on the .com link to get the product number, copy and paste into .ca.

It’s an extra 2 clicks, but at least TR gets some scratch.

• tipoo
      • 2 months ago

I don’t think so, I was trying to figure out how to get international Affiliate links myself, I asked support and they said I’d have to do it per-country.