Bargain basement: a 32 GB RAM kit at 3000 MT/s for $135, and much more

• The memory returns, in the form of the G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB dual-channel kit with 3000 MT/s DIMMs. These sticks are simple, with generously sized heatsinks and no RGB LED lighting. The timings read 16-18-18-38, and the price tag reads just $134.99 at Newegg. Essentially, you're getting 32 GB for what 16 GB cost not all that long ago.

• Look who's back too! The Intel 660p 1 TB SSD is a staple of our deals posts, thanks to its ever-dropping price. This simple-but-solid NVMe drive can push 1800 MB/s in either direction, and it can do 150K random read IOPS and 220K random write IOPS. This drive's been off the news lately because there's only so low you can go… or is there? Newegg will currently sell you one for $90.99 with the cart code EMCTAWU22.

• If you're an I/O speed demon, then check out the Sabrent Rocket 1 TB drive instead. The company's not a household name, but the drive's got it where it counts, as it can do 3400 MB/s sequential read and 3000 MB/s write speeds. The drive's selling for just $113.65 at Amazon right now, making it apparently a budget Samsung 970 EVO.

• The last system component today is the Intel Core i7-8700 processor. This is mighty chip might not be of the latest-gen crop, but it nonetheless has everything it needs: six cores, 12 threads, and a turbo clock of 4.6 GHz. If you're looking for an upper-midrange, balanced chip, this is it. It comes with an included cooler, and it's currently priced at $284.99 at Newegg with the promo code EMCTAWT22.

• Shall we move to the mobile aisle? The Lenovo Legion Y530 (81LB003MUS) is one nice mid-range gaming machine. It's got an Intel Core i5-8300H processor (four cores, eight threads, 4 GHz turbo), 8 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB solid-state drive. Pixels find their way onto the 300-nit 1920×1080 display thanks to a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card. If there's one word to describe this laptop, it's definitely "balanced." Get it for $879.99 from Newegg.

• The final item today is a potent one. The Dell XPS 13 9370 (dncwy620h) is a real beast. Inside the well-manufactured chassis sits an Intel Core i7-8550U processor sitting next to 8 GB of RAM and a 512 GB NVMe drive. The star of the show, however, is the positively gorgeous wide-gamut 4K display with touch capability. This is a quality machine great build quality, keyboard, and trackpad. It's selling for just $1059.99 at Rakuten with the checkout code DELL109.
    • ronch
    • 2 months ago

Historically when I build a PC the DIMM manufacturer of the old outgoing PC was usually no longer that popular. But my 6-year old PC uses G.Skill and now look how G.Skill is still strong. I think they’re here to stay with the likes of Kingston, Corsair and Crucial. To be fair I sometimes went with brands like Kingmax, Transcend and Apacer. Not too big but I was expecting them to hold on a bit longer.

• DeadOfKnight
      • 1 month ago

G.Skill has been popular for years, maybe even a decade at this point. I don’t know why. Their gaudy looking heatsinks have always turned me away from the brand, but they’re apparently sought after by many enthusiasts. They’re always on the QVLs, and their reviews on Newegg and Amazon are positive. I don’t care for RGB, but they have the best-looking RGB illuminated sticks IMO, and tighter timings than you will find on generic, bargain bin RAM sticks.

• ColeLT1
      • 1 month ago

I bought my first g.skill kit back when the 1st athlon x2 dropped, way back in 2005! I have only had a small handfull of chips go bad out of close to 1000 kits, but they always had great customer service. I have used them mostly exclusively, although I bought some other rando kits on sale, or when doing ECC server stuff.

[url<]https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-1gb-184-pin-ddr-sdram/p/N82E16820231014?Item=N82E16820231014[/url<]

• LoneWolf15
      • 1 month ago

G.Skill has consistently had the most reliable RAM brand I’ve purchased for the last decade. I started purchasing their DDR2 memory in Core 2 Duo/Quad days, and haven’t looked elsewhere since for my own systems.

I’ve seen more Crucial failures (though RMA process is good), and would say the same about OEM Hynix, Nanya, and Samsung. I bought this RAM kit when it was $145 on sale a month ago, and am sorely tempted to buy a second kit.

• chµck
    • 2 months ago

lenovo is putting our great-spec’d laptops (and not too flashy either) for very competitive prices.
    still dont forgive them or trust them after being caught, multiple times, with spyware pre-installed
    whats the next best value?

• 2 months ago

edit: the one I linked below is not the same specs. Whoops. There’s nothing quite like that on Newegg.

The GTX 1650 isn’t too far behind the 1060, though. It’s also priced lower and comes with a $50 rebate attached.

[url<]https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gf-series-gf63-thin-8sc-030-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155183[/url<]

• chµck
        • 2 months ago

i’ve had 2 msi laptops before. they ran really hot, loud, and the steelseries keyboard sucked.

• 2 months ago

In that case I’d probably avoid it.

• 2 months ago

I appreciate that laptops shouldn’t come with junk/bloat/spyware preinstalled, but as a rule of thumb, the first thing ANYONE should do with a new laptop is perform first-time setup to activate the license, and then wipe and install windows from scratch, deleting all the junk OEM partitions on the drive in the process.

• Spunjji
        • 2 months ago

Seconding this recommendation – and agreed that it doesn’t excuse them putting that crap on there in the first place!

• anotherengineer
    • 2 months ago

Where is this Seth Colaner guy that Jeff talked about??

Venture Beat.

[url<]https://twitter.com/SethColaner/status/1130535145813860352[/url<]

• anotherengineer
        • 2 months ago

So is he still part of TR or did he also leave?

• 2 months ago

Based on a post drfish made in the forums a while back he’s not here. I’ve never talked to him or seen him in the staff channels.

• anotherengineer
            • 2 months ago

That’s unfortunate. It would be nice if he doesn’t have the time or interest to find someone that could put some effort back into TR.

• ronch

He doesn’t love us… :-(((

• DPete27
    • 2 months ago

The Sabrent Rocket appears to be a MyDigital BPX Pro rebrand. Phision E12 w/ DRAM, 64L Toshiba 3D TLC.

• Spunjji

Thanks for the insight!

• Namtrooper
      • 1 month ago

Is this good or bad?

• 1 month ago

Good value and acceptable performance for NVMe with TLC and DRAM.

• Waco
    • 2 months ago

Damn, that’s a good deal for a reasonably fast set of 32 GB of RAM. Being only 2 sticks is a bonus!

I paid $160 for 4×8 GB DDR4-3200 a few months ago and at the time, it was a [i<]steal[/i<].

• Stochastic
      • 2 months ago

Yeah, the RAM deal + the Intel 660p deal would be a nice pairing for a Ryzen 3000 build. Especially with tariffs kicking in and potentially increasing prices in the future.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 2 months ago

Your ranking on deals is interesting.

• Waco
        • 2 months ago

Are there better deals for RAM I’m missing?

• thecoldanddarkone
          • 2 months ago

It looks decent to me. The 64 gb set of those look good as well.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 2 months ago

I meant no disrespect, bro. Just the ranking from steal to good deal was interesting in the context given.

• 2 months ago

He did say “at the time” which implies that the discount was larger back then, even though the price today is lower.

• Waco
            • 2 months ago

I think it’s been so long since we’ve had sane memory pricing that my memory is gone for how good we used to have it.

I think that says a lot about the state of the market over the past few years. 🙂

• anotherengineer

ya decent

I remember a few years ago I could get a 2x16GB ddr4-3200 kit for about $140 cnd. Then prices skyrocketed.

[url<]https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2018/news/ram-report/2_gskill-ripjaws-2yr-history.png[/url<]

• 1sh
      • 2 months ago

I paid $179.99 for 2x8GB DDR4-3200 a year and a half ago at Micro Center. I still feel like I got robbed lol

• thecoldanddarkone