Hug Your Cat Day and National Cheese Day Shortbread

I couldn't decide, so we let Baxter choose. He picked cheese over hugs. Thanks for the pic, sis!

PC hardware, computing, and RGB LEDs

1. DeepCool Matrexx 70 chassis review @ Guru3D
  2. Gigabyte Aero 15 Classic review @ Hexus
  3. Netgear Nighthawk AX8 router review @ HotHardware
  4. Philips Brilliance 499P9H 49in 32:9 SuperWide monitor review @ KitGuru
  5. Bitspower Leviathan XF 360 radiator review @ TechPowerUp
  6. Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD review @ TFT Central

Games, culture, and VR

1. Tech giant brings software to a gun fight @ Slashdot
  2. Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform app dream is dead and buried @ Slashdot
  3. Tesla's next big feature is… a port of Cuphead? @ Ars Technica

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Tiny forklift makes unusable space usable @ HackADay
  2. Swedish startup to bring pogo sticks to San Francisco as e-scooter alternative @ Slashdot
  3. Wingo Pro brings bullet-time to home videos @ New Atlas (Kickstarter, but kinda cool)
  4. Biological hacking in the 19th century or how the world almost lost wine @ HackADay

Science, technology, and space news

1. Metadata is the biggest little problem plaguing the music industry @ Slashdot
  2. NASA reveals first three commercial Moon landing contracts @ New Atlas
  3. Raspberry-picking robot completes first field trials @ New Atlas (should be Pi powered)

Cheese, memes, what have you

1. Everywhere you can get free & cheap food for National Cheese Day @ thrillist.com
  2. Philadelphia Cream Cheese was never from Philly. So why do we call it that? @ inquirer.com
  3. Gator devours block of cheese and half a watermelon after crashing picnic date @ cbsnews.com
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• thedosbox
    • 3 months ago

Every day is hug your cat day.

• drfish
      • 3 months ago

You’ll noticed that I lead with cats, not cheese.

• ronch

** WARNING – GRAPHIC CONTENT!! **

Reminds me of when a little kitten slept under the hood of my car and got turned to cat shake. The car stunk for something like 3 months!! The entire dealership I went to to have the engine bay washed and get all the cat out stunk while the car was there too and it became the butt of jokes. Alas all I can do then was go along with the teasing and all. Poor little cat. That was in May of 2018.

• PrincipalSkinner

** WARNING – BAD JOKE!! **
      [spoiler<]Did you still hug the cat?[/spoiler<]

• Captain Ned
        • 3 months ago

More like [spoiler<]chug the cat[/spoiler<] I'll be here 'til Thursday. Try the veal.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 3 months ago

I’m not sure people who live in warm weather understand that this can be a somewhat common occurrence provided there are enough cats around, and especially on a farm. Growing up I was always concerned that my cat would be at the business end of the engine fans. I’m grateful it never happened, though.

Your story was a little too much for the children and soft adults on this forum. I give you a +1, bro.

I would like to hear more about the people at the dealership and what they thought.

Regards,
      Your bro

• Redocbew
        • 3 months ago

Dealership guy: I always said the only good cat was a flat cat.

Ronch says nothing.

Dealership guy: What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?

Something like that maybe?

• Srsly_Bro

Very nice. +1

• ronch
        • 3 months ago

They charged me double and they got to tease me so I guess they’re happy, apart from missing their lunch. I just wanted to get every bit of cat outta there so I just had to suck it all up.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 3 months ago

You mean they had to suck it all up????

• Voldenuit
          • 3 months ago

[quote<]I just wanted to get every bit of cat outta there so I just had to suck it all up.[/quote<] Did you use the last straw?

• jihadjoe

[b<]grate[/b<]ful lol

• davidbowser
    • 3 months ago

[quote<]Biological hacking in the 19th century or how the world almost lost wine @ HackADay[/quote<] I always think about these things when I read/hear people complaining about modifying food (plants/animals) and the apocalyptic implications. I don't think people realize that humans have been actively making these types of modifications for hundreds of years, and natural fast evolutionary changes can happen much quicker than traditionally thought. So I guess I am not really bothered by the modifications mostly because I see it as a historically "normal", rather than being shocked by it. I don't make any blanket claims as to good or bad, but rather than it is normal. [url<]http://discovermagazine.com/2015/march/19-life-in-the-fast-lane[/url<]

• drfish
      • 3 months ago

Yeah, I’m equally happy drinking proudly made with genetic engineering Soylent or expensive organic hippy juice. I’m much more concerned about the overuse of antibiotics and hormones than a bit of souped-up unnatural selection.

• davidbowser
        • 3 months ago

Yeah. The antibiotics and hormones bug me too. I would throw some pesticides in that bucket also. The differentiator for me is that we have seen all of those things get passed to the human consuming the food, with the near universal agreement that none of it was meant to be consumed by humans. In contrast, the GMO stuff was expressly designed and tested to be consumed by humans.

As a bonus prize In the case of antibiotics in meat, under-cooked stuff can also have resistant bacteria! Yum!

[url<]https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/interviews/morris.html[/url<]

• anotherengineer
          • 3 months ago

Interesting, last I read the GMO stuff was modified to resist all the herbicide and stuff.

And if I recall it was a chemical company that made the herbicide that came up with the modified plants to be immune to it.

• Liron
        • 3 months ago

I’m pretty sure Soylent was (will be?) a solid food, not a drink

• DreadCthulhu
          • 3 months ago

The fictional Soylent was a solid food, however there is a complete nutrition beverage marketed as [url=https://soylent.com/<]Soylent[/url<]. They also are now making nutrition bars as well.

• drfish
            • 3 months ago

Wow, I’ve been drinking [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95601&p=1215499<]the stuff[/url<] regularly for almost 5 years now... Time flies. Soylent is my breakfast and lunch on the vast majority of weekdays. I get a 12 pack of strawberry, cacao, and chai delivered via Amazon monthly.

• Godel
            • 3 months ago

There are also sites with lots of DIY recipes, some of which look nutritionally reasonable. The catch is they require a lot of ingredients to get a full food replacement and you’ll have to buy them in bulk before you find out if the effort is worth it.

[url<]https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes[/url<]

• drfish
    • 3 months ago

Gerbil points for anyone that can guess what the Wingo Pro reminds me of.

• Captain Ned
      • 3 months ago

Ornithopter from the David Lynch version of [i<]Dune[/i<] (1984)?

• drfish
        • 3 months ago

Nope. It is from a movie though, and you’re only a couple years too early.

[i<]Edit: Ehh, a few years, same decade anyway.[/i<]

• Captain Ned
          • 3 months ago

Well, my other guess was going to be a flying toaster screensaver.

• drfish

Ice cold.

• davidbowser
        • 3 months ago

first thing I thought of too

• Usacomp2k3

Reminds me of a Snitch.

• drfish
        • 3 months ago

Nope. Next hint: the last link in today’s Bread is somewhat related.

• willmore
          • 3 months ago

A boomerang from Chrocodile Dundee?

• drfish

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullroarer<]So close![/url<]

• Mr Bill
      • 3 months ago

A camera you wear on your head while surfing on Windows?

• superjawes
    • 3 months ago

[quote<]Gator devours block of cheese and half a watermelon after crashing picnic date @ cbsnews.com[/quote<] Easily ranks among the Top 10 "Florida" headlines.

• Neutronbeam
      • 3 months ago

And that’s probably the most relatively normal headline out of all of them.