Xbox Game Pass for PC will be $10 a month

It’s almost E3 and so it’s time for game makers and platform owners to start dropping gooey morsels of gaming news. Microsoft dropped the first bit of chocolatey goodness this morning. The company has unveiled the price of Xbox Game Pass for PC: ten dollars a month, just like the Xbox version. However, at the service’s launch Microsoft is offering it for half price. Five bucks a month doesn’t seem too shabby for access to a bunch of games, if the titles are right.

To give gamers a chance to find out if the selection is what they crave, Microsoft has cut the price of the first month to just a dollar. At a dollar I figure I can’t lose, so I signed up just to see what’s available. What I found was a collection of good, if older, games and some recent Xbox ports. It’s easy to see what’s available because Game Pass games have a badge on the tile that reads “Included with Game Pass”.  Here’s a sampling of what’s there:

Many of these games you probably already own if you’re interested in them. Fallout 4 is an oldie at this point, but Bethesda’s post-apocalyptic adventure is huge and beautiful, so if you haven’t experienced it yet, you should. Forza Horizon 4 is the latest in Microsoft’s open-world racing series with tons of licensed cars, true-to-life controls, and great graphics. Also available, but not pictured, are some of the best first-party Xbox One games that are also available on PC. Gears of War 4and Halo 5: Guardians are staples of Microsoft’s console experience.

In an attempt to make Game Pass for PC work for all kinds of gamers, Microsoft has included a couple of titles that wander off the beaten path of AAA PC-killers. Human Fall Flat is a silly third-person walking puzzle / maze game that is endlessly charming and pretty challenging once you get into it a ways. Void Bastards is a cool-looking cel-shaded FPS inspired by System Shock and BioShock. While I haven’t played it yet, the art direction made me start downloading. Sega’s Shenmue I & II give me the warm fuzzies thinking about my Dreamcast. Yu Suzuki’s sandbox RPGs are still fun today, if a little dated. There’s also a little-known building-focused adventure game called Minecraft.

That’s not everything in Xbox Game Pass for PC, though. We can’t find a complete list of games on Microsoft’s site, but The Verge has taken time to bullet-list the whole game list. Microsoft has set its E3 conference for 3 PM Central time, and you can watch it on Twitch. We’re sure that there’s plenty more to talk about. We’ll be watching E3 as it unfolds and cover all of what’s good to play on your PC during E3.

derFunkenstein

Sega nerd and guitar lover

Comments
    • GrimDanfango
    • 1 month ago

The Netflixication of the games industry continues to accelerate…

• drfish

Exclusivity -> Consolidation -> Subscription

You like choice? I hope you like it as much as you think.

My choice is rapidly becoming to switch hobbies.

• sweatshopking
        • 1 month ago

Liar. You’ll not gonna switch.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 month ago

The ultimate pass for 15 seems like a pretty solid deal given what I’m paying now.

• MrDweezil
      • 1 month ago

In terms of deals, they currently have it set up where signing up for ultimate pass converts any existing regular gamepass time or xbox live gold time that may already be on your account into ultimate game pass time. This means its possible to track down discounted prepaid xbox live gold cards and then convert it all to gamepass for way less than $15 a month. I grabbed 12 months of gold last month for $40 and now I’m all gamepass-ed up until mid 2021.

• 1 month ago

holy crap, that’s awesome!

• Usacomp2k3
          • 1 month ago

I have a free 1 month that came with the xb1. Probably should redeem that.

• curtisb
        • 1 month ago

Thanks for the heads up! Wally World has digital delivery on 12-month codes for $45 right now.

Any idea what’ll happen if you have time remaining on both Live Gold and regular Game Pass? I guess I’ll find out shortly…

[b<]EDIT:[/b<] Disregard the above about the Walmart codes...what I saw is for an Xbox Gift Card.

• MrDweezil
          • 1 month ago

They add them together. All the details are in the FAQ if you scroll all the way to the bottom of [url<]https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass[/url<]

• curtisb
            • 1 month ago

Yep…I just converted what remaining time I had left and it added them together. I had Live Gold through Feb 2020 and about a month or so left on Game Pass, and I now have Ultimate through mid-April 2020.

I’m trying to find some deals on the Live Gold codes so I can add it to my son’s account before they stop offering that as an option.

• Usacomp2k3

Flight sim!

• LostCat
    • 1 month ago

Nice. I’ve only played Slay the Spire so far but I like it.

• Laykun

No thanks 🙂

• albundy
      • 1 month ago

agreed. you can buy these old games on ebay for few bucks. i’d rather not pay for yet another subscription service.

• LostCat
    • 1 month ago

Can’t find? [url<]https://www.microsoft.com/store/collections/pcgaVTaz[/url<] :p (Ahh, some screwy other pages, I see. But there you go.)

• 1 month ago

Thanks for the link! Hopefully it’ll help folks in the comments. 🙂