Bargain basement: a Radeon RX 570 8 GB for $120, and much more

• You may have been reading about the newfangled and speedy AMD Radeon 5700 and Radeon R5700XT. However, buyers on a budget or simply with more modest needs are far better served by something like the MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB OC graphics card. This potent pixel pusher has a core clock of 1268 MHz and a meaty heatsink with two fans atop. Newegg is asking but $139.99 for this card if you use the cart code EMCTCUV22. There’s a $20 mail-in rebate available, too, for a potential net amount of $119.99.

• The comeback of affordable mass storage is definitely a thing. The Seagate Expansion Desktop 4 TB is a simple and straighforward external 3.5″ hard drive with a USB 3.0 interface. Its price currently sits at $77.99 at Newegg with the promo code EMCTCUV28, working out to $19.50 a terabyte.

• We have not just one, but two packs of cheap RAM today. The first is the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB dual-channel kit clocked at 3200 MT/s. These are some of the slickest-looking sticks on the market, and they do their lighting thing without the need for an extra cable. Newegg will hand you the pair for just $94.99. If you’re running a window-less case or just don’t care about blinkenlights, the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB set with 3000 MT/s modules will set you back only $64.99, also at the ‘egg.

• Now for two takes on mobile gaming. The first is the Dell G5 gaming laptop (G5587-5542BLK-PUS). This sleek machine fits an Intel Core i3-8300H CPU (four cores and eight threads at up to 4 GHz), 16 GB of RAM, and a combo storage setup with a a 256 GB SSD and a 1 terabyte hard drive. The ever-important graphics horsepower comes by way of a GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Max-Q graphics card that slaps pixels on the 15.6″ 1920×1080 display. This machine can be yours for $795 at Walmart.

• For something even meatier, check out the Asus ROG Strix Hero II (GL504GM-DS74). This little beast packs an Intel Core i7-8750H processor (six core and twelve threads up to 3.9 GHz) along with 16 GB of RAM and a full-fat GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card. Much like the Dell above, there are a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive for storage, but this time around the display is a super-fast 144 Hz 1920×1080 unit with slim bezels. This machine also has a four-antenna 802.11ac Wave 2 array and RGB LED lighting. It can be yours for just $1099.99 at Newegg with the cart code EMCTCUV26.

That’s all for today, folks! There’s a chance you’re looking for something we haven’t covered. If that’s the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you’re out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam’s Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard’s shop.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
20 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
bwcbiz
bwcbiz
11 months ago

NewEgg has the Ryzen 2700 for $149 for the next few days. A 3600 for $199 vs. a 2700 for $149 is a tough choice. https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700/p/N82E16819113498?Item=N82E16819113498

Neronetfi

Wish I would have seen this yesterday to grab the 570 8GB

juzz86
juzz86
11 months ago

I miss the personal touch, Bruno! Hope you’re okay mate, thanks to all you guys for keeping the content coming. Top blokes.

Shobai
Shobai
Reply to  juzz86

Just had a quick look at the first four or five posts under his byline; looks like the lead-in text has been removed from them all, I think.

juzz86
juzz86
Reply to  Shobai

Yep, noticed the very same mate.

I can understand perhaps leading with an ‘SEO-optimised’ opening couple of lines, but I’d be a bit surprised if it was deemed necessary to remove all personality from these in future.

Anyway, chin up lads – we love you regardless.

juzz86
juzz86
Reply to  Bruno Ferreira

That’s good mate – I’m glad all is okay. Cheers!

chuckula
chuckula
11 months ago

That’s funny… No Radeon VII deals since it just got — dare I say the word — CANCELLED!

Considering it lasted for a whole — wait for it — 5 months* before AMD pulled the plug on it then maybe it will go up in value as a collector’s item.

* Considering the lack of supply when it launched on Feb. 7, I’m rounding up here.

derFunkenstein
Reply to  chuckula

well, of course, it just got trounced by Navi for everything except cryptocurrency. If I’d bought one I’d feel real sad, honestly. I mean, my whole build just got obsoleted by AMD and Nvidia, but at least I didn’t spend $700 on a single component.

Tirk
Tirk
Reply to  derFunkenstein

I speculate most who purchased the R7, did so with other uses than gaming in mind. As its still a good card for those other use cases, I doubt any of them are feeling sad for buying one. You’d be hard pressed to even promote it as gaming only card when it initially released, Navi didn’t change that.

Waco
Waco
Reply to  derFunkenstein

I’m pretty happy with mine still. Under water the performance is significantly better *and* I don’t have to feel dirty sending Nvidia money. 🙂

I learned to ignore buyer’s remorse in terms of computer hardware a long time ago – there’s always something better in the future.

Krogoth
Krogoth
Reply to  chuckula

It was always meant to be a stop-gap solution meant to pacify shareholders and a way to sale off unsold Instinct Mi50 stock.

chuckula
chuckula
Reply to  Krogoth

I’m just so confused! I spent hours watching AdoredTV with a pitcher of Koolaid and he never once told us about this happening!

I thought he knew everything!

Tirk
Tirk
Reply to  chuckula

Then maybe you should unplug those fanboy earplugs that has warped your ability to hear clearly all these years.

I’m not a believer that anyone knows everything; although, with the amount of hyperbole in your comment, one can wonder the significance of any point you were making.

AdoredTV covered the stop gap nature and limited run of the R7 and his disappointments with the card at release. He’s been wrong and has admitted when he has been. Seems like a bit of projection on your part. Anything you’d like to admit you were wrong about?

Dragontamer5788
Dragontamer5788
Reply to  chuckula

I don’t have a Radeon VII… I bought the Vega64 on sale thinking 8GB was enough RAM, but holy moly… GPUs use a ton of RAM. If anyone wants me to talk about my GPU Chess algorithm I’m experimenting with, and why it needs so much RAM… feel free to ask me. 🙂

But yeah, video game players don’t really need much VRAM. But any compute-oriented programmer will feel like 8GB is too small. The 16GB on a Radeon VII would be better for sure.

Krogoth
Krogoth
11 months ago

Yep, the Radeon VII is a steal for the general compute and high-end content creation crowd. It has always been a poor choice as a pure gaming solution.

Omgwtfbbq
Omgwtfbbq
11 months ago

Just saw this post and wanted to warn potential buyers. Dell G5 is known for easily overheating, both the old model that is on sale at Walmart that you mentioned about and the current one. You can find this in multiple posts in Dell’s own forums or on Reddit. Just search for “G5 thermal throttling” or “G5 overheating” and you will find plenty of results. I know that you are not aware of this defect (undersized cooling) which affects G3/G5/G7 models but I believe it is fair to warn potential buyers so they would not blame you after buying this.

MOSFET
MOSFET
11 months ago

Nice to see you writing again, Bruno! Those 570s and 580s are a steal right now, if one isn’t interested in the just-released latest and greatest. I know it’s still overkill for a lot of folks, but I’d like to see 32GB RAM kits (like the Crucial one Funk posted a few days ago, which just arrived on my desk today) become standard fare.

Waco
Waco
Reply to  MOSFET

Agreed, the 570s and 580s are a hell of a steal right now for a budget gaming rig.

derFunkenstein
Reply to  Waco

Agreed. +110 for you

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x