National Personal Chef Day Shortbread

Don’t ask me, I don’t know why this photo exists, I’m just glad that it does.

PC hardware, computing, and RGB LEDs

1. Quick look review: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro ATX and mini-ITX motherboards @ PC Perspective
  2. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master review @ bit-tech
  3. Corsair NightSword RGB gaming mouse review @ Guru3D
  4. Cooler Master MasterBox Q500L review @ Hexus
  5. ASUS TUF Gaming K5 keyboard & M5 mouse review @ KitGuru
  6. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU undervolted to 1.00V @ Legit Reviews
  7. Tecware Impulse Pro review @ TechPowerUp
  8. Ryzen 9 3900X: Wraith Prism RGB stock cooler vs. 360mm AIO liquid cooler @ TechSpot

Games, culture, and VR

1. Research shows Minecraft can make you more creative, but it depends @ Rock Paper Shotgun
  2. There will be no cigar-chomping or vaping in Gears 5 @ Quarter To Three
  3. Ubisoft pleads with players to stop cheating in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey @ Quarter To Three (nothing to say but, ugh)

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. There’s a big problem with Facebook’s Libra cryptocurrency @ Ars Technica
  2. Bitpoint cryptocurrency exchange hacked for $32 million @ Slashdot
  3. Donald Trump blasts Bitcoin, Facebook Libra, demands they face banking regulations @ Slashdot
  4. Petcube’s Bites 2 and Play 2 amuse pets and humans alike with Alexa built-in @ TechCrunch

Science, technology, and space news

1. Savage tick-clone armies are sucking cows to death; experts fear for humans @ Ars Technica
  2. SpaceX nears completion of Dragon investigation, has a “good path forward” @ Ars Technica
  3. Is it time to get rid of the caps lock key? @ Slashdot (SSK, YOUR THOUGHTS?)
  4. Craigslist founder: most online outrage is faked for profit @ Slashdot (your ideas intrigue me…)

Cheese, memes, what have you

1. Can you solve it? Cheese cube nibbles @ theguardian.com
  2. Win a year’s supply of macaroni and cheese from Bob Evans @ wndu.com
  3. Thousands of people have taken a Facebook pledge to storm Area 51 @ Slashdot (I hope they can handle the troof)
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

39 Comments
    • juzz86
    • 1 month ago

I followed that TechSpot link about the 3900X – good read, thanks man.

The most shocking thing there though, was that I actually thought something had gone wrong and I hadn’t left The Tech Report – the themeing is uncannily similar.

Do the new landlords own that one, too?

• not@home
    • 1 month ago

The photo reminds me of something. When I was a kid, maybe 4, we used to catch these huge frogs up by my Dad’s cabin in northern WI. The frogs were about the size of a softball. Enormous dumb frogs. I loved them. One day, my dad asked my brother and I to put all the frogs we caught into this big box he gave us. So we caught about 20, and put them into the box. We thought it was hilarious watching 20 enormous frogs trying to jump out of a big box at the same time. Then my Dad and one of his friends came and took the box away. That night we had frog legs for dinner. I have not seen one of those big frogs in many years. Its too bad because they were so cool.

• Liron
      • 1 month ago

That particular frog in the picture is super poisonous.

• Robert Audell
    • 1 month ago

So… since we’re talking about food, is there any way the “Shortbread” can be cooked in blue with white letter icing?

I’ve gone full frontal dark mode and your new recipe does not suit my tastes.

• Shobai
    • 1 month ago

At my previous employer I did a lot of circuit design and layout, so I wanted access to an ‘Enter’ key with my left hand on the keyboard and right on the mouse; I used CAPS Lock as a modifier to allow that, since I never used it intentionally.

• Mr Bill
    • 1 month ago

Pshaaww! HOLDING DOWN THE CAPS KEY WITH YOUR PINKY HELPS KEEP YOUR FINGERS CORRECTLY POSITIONED OVER THE KEYS.

• AJ Peck
    • 1 month ago

I agree on the caps-lock. Similarly we should get rid of the numlock. I have never used the non-numerical functions over there and I don’t think I’m unique in that. Does anyone use scroll-lock anymore either? The only use I have for any of those is seeing the lights so that I know the keyboard is working. Please also get rid of the Fn keys/lock on desktop keyboards. I understand it more for laptops where you are space-limited.

• Billy Buerger
      • 1 month ago

I agree which is why my custom keyboards don’t have any lock keys. I put backspace where caps lock normally would be. But I also use a more 60% type layout (similar to ErgoDox) so a Fn key is necessary to get to other keys that I don’t have a dedicated key for.

• Sweatshopking
    • 1 month ago

I ALWAYS FIND CLAIMS AMERICANS/CANADIANS ARE MORE REASONABLE IN THE REAL WORLD THAN ONLINE TO BE INSANE. OUTRAGE FAKED FOR PROFIT? HAVE THESE PEOPLE NEVER TALKED TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING? THEY’RE ALL OUTRAGED ALL THE TIME.

• 1 month ago

CAN YOU HELP ME MAKE MONEY ON MY OUTRAGE? I NEED TO TURN THIS INTO COLD HARD EARTH DOLLARS!

• anotherengineer
        • 1 month ago

Canadian dollars are hard, they’re metal 🙂

• Sweatshopking
          • 1 month ago

While that’s true, you need so many of them to buy anything.

• Krogoth
    • 1 month ago

No Swedish Chef references? How criminal!

• 1 month ago

If you like the Swedish Chef but think he’s too slapsticky, check out The Tiny Chef show.

• chuckula
      • 1 month ago

The Swedish Chef is now a paid Intel shill whose job is to “Bork! Bork! Bork!” our roadmaps.

• Krogoth
        • 1 month ago

Until today, where his shilling contract just got canceled!

• Oh, you silly guys.

• Mr Bill
            • 1 month ago

Thumbs up for the fish dr. Apparently we only get to up-thumb once per log on for comments.

• Mr Bill
            • 1 month ago

Oops, make that once per….
            1) site visit and first log on?

• etana
    • 1 month ago

The first thing i do when i get a new keyboard is to pop off the capslock key cap.

1. ?! Donald Trump should face banking regulations; I think Deutsche Bank is going to have to answer some tough questions.

Sorry to get into R&P here, but the hypocrisy is mind-boggling…and my mind is not easily boggled.

• grimdanfango
      • 1 month ago

The entire Trump administration is a walking mind-boggle.

The laughable thing is, if the problem with bitcoin was *only* that it gets used by criminals, they’d have absolutely nothing to say on the matter. Hell, they’d probably be all over it for their own ends.

The only reason you get the levels of public condemnation cryptocurrencies are subjected to is because it’s a massive threat to established systems so long as it isn’t controlled by those systems.

• Aranarth

nightsword mouse… hmmm
    nightsword – is that the same thing as trousersnake? good grief the names tech companies come up with for their products….

• Well, it was either nightsword or eveningerection, so, you know, marketing had to pick one.

[I’m definitely way over caffeinated today.]

• chuckula
    • 1 month ago

I buy nothing for Prime day!

• grimdanfango
      • 1 month ago

It may not be long before Amazon own the cold vacuum of space…
      …then you won’t even be able to support worker strikes that way 😛

• Mr Bill
    • 1 month ago

MS could turn that capslock key into a Windows 10 key!
    SSK has said in the past that he does not use the capslock key.

• 1 month ago

I remember that he won that keyboard from the site and it didn’t have a CapsLock, he said something like “REAL MEN SHIFT”

• Mr Bill
        • 1 month ago

I say that every time I drive my car.

• Sweatshopking
      • 1 month ago

My only concern with getting rid of the caps key is that many younger and less skilled typists may lose the ability to type in the BEST WAY POSSIBLE.

• Mr Bill
        • 1 month ago

Pinky firmly pasted on the shift key?

• superjawes
    • 1 month ago

Ubisoft: “We’ll sell you XP boosters via microtransactions.”
    Players: “Nah, I’ll just use the Story Creator with XP farming missions.”
    Ubisoft: “That’s ILLEGAL.”

• dragondaddybear
      • 1 month ago

Am I the only one that misses the days when a single player game was really just you and the game?

• superjawes
        • 1 month ago

“You can’t mean that. These newer systems are the only way to generate high levels of revenue…I mean engagement. Sweet, sweet engagement…”
        -Ubisoft

• 1 month ago

Makes me wonder how they’d react to a Game Genie.

• Ryan Montgomery
          • 1 month ago

I use Cheat Engine myself.

• Waco
    • 1 month ago

Yes, finally a stock versus water 3900X review! My adapter for my block arrived yesterday so I’m hoping to get mine under water tonight. 🙂

• usacomp2k3
      • 1 month ago

Looks like it doesn’t help with performance at all.