Control’s recommended PC requirements are downright scary

Summer is a slow time for games, so we can’t help but keep an eagle-eye watch on everything that’s coming out. One of the most exciting games that will hit PCs this summer is Remedy’s Control. And when it hits it’s going to land like a ton of bricks, according to the recommended requirements listed on the Control’s Epic Games Store page.

The Twin Peaks and “new weird” fiction-inspired action game from the creators of Alan Wake is going to ask a lot of our gaming PCs. The minimum requirements just to boot up the game aren’t too bad:

Minimum PC requirements:
OS: Windows 7, 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 / AMD Ryzen 3 1300X or better
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD RX 580 or better
Ray tracing GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
DirectX: DX 11

Those specs are hardly top of the line these days, but they’re still enough to power a solid rig all the same. But it’s the recommended requirements where things get tough enough to spook even gamers with big wallets.

Recommended PC requirements:
OS: Windows 10, 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K / AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or better
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti / AMD Radeon 7 or better
Ray tracing GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
DirectX: DX11 / DX12

If you want to play Control with ray tracing enabled, you’re going to need an RTX 2060 at the bare minimum, but to play it the way Remedy has designed it, you’ll need an RTX 2080. Let’s compare that to Metro Exodus, which is one of the more demanding games out there. For Metro Exodus, you’re looking at a Core i7-4770K on the CPU, 8GB RAM, and a choice between a GTX 1070 or RTX 2060 card to hit the recommended specs. The minimum requirements are even lower, asking for a GTX 1050.

This is nothing new; Remedy games tend to be tough on computers. Alan Wake still pushed computers years after it was out, and Quantum Break was a heavy one, too, thanks to all its weird time-travel geometry. Remedy has been a part of Nvidia’s RTX promotional plan since the beginning, so it’s unsurprising that Control will act as somewhat of a showpiece for cards. If you’re in the market for a new RTX card, Control is one of the two games that will bundled with the purchase of any new RTX cards right now (the other is Wolfenstein: Youngblood).

Control has one other requirement: an Epic Games Store account. Remedy is no stranger to exclusives, having put its last two games exclusively on Microsoft’s consoles before eventually bringing them to Windows. Like those, this is a timed exclusive. The game will eventually appear on other digital marketplaces. If you’re looking to pre-order, though, that Epic Games Store account is indeed a system requirement. Control also sports 21:9 widescreen support, an upcapped framerate, and support for both G-Sync and Freesync technologies.

Can your PC take control of Control? Or do you need a couple upgrades like most of us? Control hits PC via the Epic Games Store (as well as Xbox One and PlayStation) on August 27, 2019.

28 Comments
    • TurtlePerson2
    • 4 weeks ago

It’s going to run fine on consoles built in 2013, but it needs a $200 graphics card in 2019 for its minimum specs? It sounds like a lazy port to me…

• grimdanfango
      • 4 weeks ago

They may be accounting for the fact that PC users typically have a higher expectation of what constitutes “minimum”.

• brucek2
    • 1 month ago

So they are publishing a game that they do not recommend for 90%+ of my current PC gamers (source: quick read of Steam survey results)? Who is the genius who signed off on that?

Sounds like a game I’ll enjoy in a few years at a steep discount, when a generations or two worth of improvements have put my GPU in the 1080Ti+ performance zone.

• Krogoth
      • 4 weeks ago

They are trying to out-Crysis, Crysis 1.

• grimdanfango
    • 1 month ago

Is it really that shocking to see realistic recommended specs on a game?

I mean of course, if you want to see a cutting edge game at its best, you’ll want the cutting edge of rigs. Hell, I’d say we’re probably all better off waiting for RTX 3000-series cards for raytracing to properly hit its stride, especially considering this appears to be the first game to make genuine use of it for more than what screen-space-reflections could already achieve before.

• CraigOTech
    • 1 month ago

I wonder if there will be a built-in benchmark utility…

• 1 month ago

Remedy makes some outstanding tech demos with likable characters and interesting stories going all the way back to Max Payne. They’ve gotten progressively weirder over the years, that’s for certain.

Glad my system hits the recommended specs, RTX 2060 aside.

• Meadows
      • 1 month ago

How is it that sometimes we get forum handles in the byline (such as those of drfish and you) and sometimes we get full names as in the case of morphine or sweatshopking?

Dreadfully inconsistent.

• 1 month ago

Everyone gets to set up their own profile. I suppose I could change it back

• MOSFET

Nice freaking guitar!

Thanks!

• Which do folks prefer? I honestly don’t have a strong preference.

• Meadows
          • 1 month ago

Well going by the last several posts, you might want to use full names since I doubt Renee’s going to adopt either a handle or a familiar presence any time soon and you may as well fit in with gyromancer and sweatshopking and morphine while you’re at it.

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a “preference” but consistency does look neater.

At the same time, I get the use of handles too since I’ve seen at least one guy complain over in the forum topic about not being able to recognise some of the contributors.

• 1 month ago

One of the business analysts at work makes that argument from time to time, and, like him, your probably right. What’s odd is that I’ve updated it in WordPress but it’s not reflected on the site yet. How amusing.

I did it originally to both make it the transition to… whatever this is… easier, and as a throwback to old school TR, but consistency is as good a reason as any to not do that.

• Mr Bill
          • 1 month ago

I prefer the forum handle but its nice to have a real name also.

• juzz86

Why not both!?!

• I switched back to my name. The only way I could do both would be to tack ‘drfish’ on to my first or last name in the form, and who knows what else that would mess up. Thanks for the input, guys!

• Liron
          • 1 month ago

Name with the handle in parenthesis?

I can see how it would be confusing for someone to get a reply that looks like it comes from the article’s author and wondering if it’s the same person because the name and the handle are different.

• Grahambo910
        • 1 month ago

Having all these stalwarts of the comments section I’ve been laughing with (and sometimes at) and very much admiring for the last +/-10 yrs really feels like the inmates running the asylum. And I freaking love it!

• Mr Bill
      • 1 month ago

It would be nice to hear from a few TR regulars about the game. Maybe a short playability comment and system build bio each.

1. Phhhhht! I fart in the general direction of Control. Control ain’t no Crysis.

• DancinJack

meh, pass

• plonk420
      • 1 month ago

pass while on EGS for me

• chuckula
    • 1 month ago

If it doesn’t require a 16 coar AMD miracle chip to show the splash screen then it’s not optimized!

Go back and try harder devs!

• MOSFET
      • 1 month ago

So Magny-Cours from what, 2010 should do it…

• Sweatshopking
      • 1 month ago

I can’t believe how little difference in performance gains I have from going from a 4790 to a 7700. Shockingly similar.

• chuckula
        • 1 month ago

Considering it’s the same chip (our entire 14nm node is actually a clever lie), you shouldn’t notice ANY difference!

• Sweatshopking
          • 1 month ago

I don’t really, so unsurprising