Asus’ 43-inch 4K Freesync monitor launches soon

After first revealing the ROG Strix XG438Q back in January at CES, Asus is ready to release its monstrous 43-inch, 4K Freesync monitor very soon. There’s a lot to love here, including the rumored price.

As we’ve established, this is a beast of a monitor. The 43-inch diagonal on this VA panel is sure to make a few desktops groan under the strain, but that’s just the start. The monitor also offers full 3840×2160 resolution, a 120Hz refresh rate, and Freesync 2 compatibility.

The screen’s HDR-10 support covers 90% of the DCI-P3 color gamut. Along with the peak 750 nits brightness, that makes it DisplayHDR 600 compliant.

The high refresh rate is assisted by Asus’ GameFast technology, which the company says helps to minimize input lag, and the HDR compatibility has three different settings for viewing video, gaming, and one specifically for HDR performance on AMD graphics cards.

The XG438Q not just a monitor

Asus knows what it’s making, though. This screen is big enough to act as a television and for many gamers, it likely will. It features 3 HDMI 2.0 ports and one DisplayPort 1.4 port. That’s plenty for a computer, a couple game consoles, and a streaming box. That last one might be appealing for those of us looking to use it as a TV since there aren’t exactly a ton of “dumb” televisions out there these days.

The screen comes with a remote, too, that lets you navigate the screen’s OSD without having to feel around for buttons on the underside of the bezel. The screen also features 3.5-mm PC audio and earphone jacks and 2 USB 3.0 ports. The display also offers picture-in-picture support for up to 3 sources.

If you want to use the monitor as an audio output, it features two 10W speakers. There’s also Aura Sync lighting via a back-mounted logo projector that fires a color RGB signal down at your desk.

About the only thing I’d add to this screen if I could would be to swap those HDMI 2.0 ports for HDMI 2.1. The standard is close enough on the horizon that buying a screen with HDMI 2.0 ports stings a little right now.

Rumored Pricing

Easing all of that is the rumored price. According to KitGuru, the ROG Strix XG438Q is expected to retail for £1099, or about $1300 US. There aren’t many similarly-sized displays out there, and almost every one has some compromise – it’s more expensive, has a lower resolution, features the arguably-better-but-more-proprietary G-Sync.

It’s still a pretty penny to pay, and a 43-inch display isn’t going to sit well on every desktop. But this is still an appealing feature set if you’re in the market for a massive screen. Asus hasn’t set an exact date, but we’re expecting it to launch this month.

15 Comments
    • FlamingSpaceJunk
    • 2 weeks ago

Is it curved? At this size it really needs to be curved to be usable at a desk. I really wish my 43″ 4K Dell had a little bit of curvature to it.

• Jeremy
      • 1 week ago

So I’ve I buy this in the UK via online will it work seamless in the USA???

• Waco
    • 2 weeks ago

All this…and NO DAMN VESA MOUNT. These companies truly do not get it.

• krogoth
      • 2 weeks ago

They understand the demographic (hardcore, high-end gamers) that opts for these units. They typically don’t care for VESA mounts.

The crowd that cares about VESA mounts are productivity-types who are already eyeing towards professional-tier 4K units.

It is difficult justifying the extra production cost to implement a feature where the targeted demographic will never utilize in the monitor’s lifetime.

• DPete27
    • 3 weeks ago

[quote]..features the arguably-better-but-more-proprietary G-Sync.[/quote]
    Ugh. Here we go again….

• Krogoth
      • 3 weeks ago

G-Sync is only better because its spec mandates items that are entirely optional for Freesync 1 a.k.a AMD’s implementation of VESA adaptive sync spec. The middleware module is a holdover before Displayport 1.2a was finalized. It is effectively obsolete and has issues of its own (not enough bandwidth for 4K at high-bandwidth and beyond) which is why Nvidia has been quietly abandoning it on future G-Sync hardware. They are moving G-Sync into a brand that certifies gaming monitors (like THX) for the optimal experience.

• Krogoth
    • 3 weeks ago

The difference between 1440p and 2160p on smallish screens isn’t that dramatic and IMO, it isn’t worth the performance cost if you want to keep up high framerates.

2080Ti is barely able to it if are willing to some minor compromises. Anything less requires significant compromises. It is just easier and simpler to opt for a lesser resolution.

4K and beyond still belongs in the A/V (Large screens) and productivity worlds (more screen resolution = more workspace).

• confusedpenguin
    • 3 weeks ago

I’ve researched 4K monitors a bit and it seems every one of them don’t have the same pixel density as a smaller 1440p monitor. I enjoy not seeing any pixels as I sit up close and play games on my 27 inch monitor, but at the same time, I would like a 43 inch monitor so that games would seem more immersive. I’m kind of torn because there doesn’t seem to be any middle ground. I could get a 4k 32 inch monitor, but the text and icons on the action bars in games would be smaller and I don’t want to have to squint to see them clearly, and if I went with a 32 inch 1440p monitor I would run into the same problem of not enough pixel density. Augh!

• Eric Frederiksen
      • 3 weeks ago

And a lot of the value you get out of any tool is going to be in how you use it. If you sit up close to your monitor, then yeah – this might not be the perfect screen for you. My desk is pretty deep, so bigger monitors look good and I don’t run into the pixel density issue as much. That makes this display really tempting for me. But I also know a lot of friends who would find it poorly suited for their needs.

• DPete27
      • 3 weeks ago

Windows DPI scaling has your back!!

• FlamingSpaceJunk
      • 2 weeks ago

Is a 27″ 4K not dense enough for you?

Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q is a 27″ 4K monitor, and they’ll sell you a 32″ 8K for ~$4,000.

• SWEATSHOPKING
    • 3 weeks ago

damn i want this thing

• chuckula
    • 3 weeks ago

Oddly enough that thing is actually a lower PPI than my 2k 27″ monitor.

• DPete27
      • 3 weeks ago

But you’re probably not sitting 24″ from a 43″ screen.

• FlamingSpaceJunk
      • 2 weeks ago

I have a Dell P4317Q (43″ 4K), and 4K is a little low for a monitor this size. It’s massive and awesome, but a higher resolution would take advantage of the size better.