National Ice Cream Soda Day Shortbread

4. Razer Kraken X headset review @ KitGuru
  5. Arozzi Arena gaming desk review @ TechPowerUp
  6. MSI GE75 Raider review @ TechSpot
  7. Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5TB & Backup Plus Slim 2TB review @ AnandTech

Games, culture, and VR

1. Is this our first real look at Nintendo Switch Mini? @ Nintendo Life
  2. They Are Billions adds story campaign and leaves early access @ Rock Paper Shotgun (looking forward to getting back to this one)

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Open source computer controlled loom weaves Pikachu for you @ HackADay
  2. Samsung asks users to please virus-scan their TVs @ Ars Technica
  3. YouTuber Simone Giertz transformed a Tesla Model 3 into a pickup truck @ Slashdot
  4. Researchers make a robotic fish with a battery for blood @ Ars Technica
  5. Facebook launches cryptocurrency with Visa, MasterCard, Uber, and others @ Ars Technica (what could possibly go wrong?)

Science, technology, and space news

1. We may have inadvertently selected for muscles on dogs’ faces @ Ars Technica
  2. People keep spotting Teslas with snoozing drivers on the freeway @ Ars Technica
  3. Global warming: can these striking charts convince nay-sayers? @ New Atlas
  4. Homing pigeons are willing to spend more energy to travel in pairs @ New Atlas
  5. An evening with Space Shuttle Atlantis @ HackADay (I saw this a bit over a year ago when my nephew and I tried to catch a Falcon 9 launch—amazingly cool and inspiring.)

Cheese, memes, what have you

1. Mount Prospect business shuts down amid ‘burnt cheese’ odor complaints @ dailyherald.com
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

Comments
    • davidbowser
    • 1 month ago

[quote<]Global warming: can these striking charts convince nay-sayers? @ New Atlas[/quote<] My favorite line from an article on politics vs. science - "you can’t bring a fact to a philosophy fight." [url<]https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everyone-knows-money-influences-politics-except-scientists[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
    • 1 month ago

If any of you nerds haven’t been to Kennedy space center and watched the curtain rise to unveil the shuttle Atlantis, you’re greatly missing out.

• drfish
      • 1 month ago

Not ashamed to admit I was tearing up.

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 month ago

I was there for the final landing of the last shuttle…definitely bucket list material.

• Krogoth
      • 1 month ago

Been there and seen the Enterprise while it was at Steven Udvar-Hazy Center.

• Captain Ned
      • 1 month ago

Those of us who were there at the time, with our faces plastered against a grainy B&W TV screen (I was 5YO and I wouldn’t have missed it, period), consider an earlier generation of NASA hardware to be the true icon.

The 50th starts at 09:32:00 EDT on July 16, 2019.

• NovusBogus
        • 1 month ago

I definitely wasn’t there at the time, but I also consider the Apollo stuff to be NASA’s technological peak. The shuttle program was too much of a politics-over-performance boondoggle for me to ever really get into it. Even as a kid who only ever knew the post-80s space program, the whole thing felt really boring and pointless compared to what came before.

• Usacomp2k3
      • 1 month ago

I tear up every time. And then even harder downstairs in the Challenger/Columbia memorial.

• superjawes
    • 1 month ago

[quote<]People keep spotting Teslas with snoozing drivers on the freeway @ Ars Technica[/quote<] ::sigh:: Don't do this. I assume most TR readers won't, but this is not helping anyone. It makes Tesla look bad, it makes Tesla owners look bad, and it scares the bejeezus out of defensive drivers on the road (which is why these snoozers are getting filmed and pictured). If you want to snooze while traveling, use public transit or call a cab. Autopilot/self-driving-whatever can't work perfectly, and at least then you have someone else looking out for you to make sure you get home safely. Also, doing this is just [i<]begging[/i<] the government to step in.

• Liron
      • 1 month ago

Well, it’s still better than spotting Nissan Sentras with snoozing drivers on the freeway.

• Captain Ned
        • 1 month ago

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

• ermo
          • 1 month ago

“The secret to humour is surprise.”

Well done. Have my upvotes.

• Captain Ned
            • 1 month ago

I’d love to take credit for it, but it’s usually attributed to Will Rogers

• davidbowser
      • 1 month ago

I snooze on the train going to NYC on a regular basis.

Snoozing on Rt 78 while “driving”: Bad
      Snoozing on NJ Transit: Good

• BIF
        • 1 month ago

Just don’t fall asleep on the subway at night. I knew somebody who did that, and when he woke up, he stood up and his pants pockets fell away from his pants, revealing…well, nothing in the now-cut-open pockets.

Somebody had used “pinking shears” to cut his pockets open while he dozed, then it was a matter of just plucking his wallet, keys, cash, and even his spare change off of his lap…now that there were no pockets. They even got his Metrocard!

At least pinking shears leave a nice stylish cut: [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking_shears[/url<]

• 1 month ago

You’ve gotta be a mega-heavy sleeper for that to work. I’d jolt awake when somebody started tickling my legs by accident.

superjawes is on point.

• GrimDanfango
      • 1 month ago

At the very least… take a hint from Homer:
      [url=https://media1.tenor.com/images/214f73a50f7c7ada4b55217b8746b478/tenor.gif<]gif[/url<]

• Neutronbeam
    • 1 month ago

“People keep spotting Teslas with snoozing drivers…”

They are NOT snoozing drivers. They are Darwin Award entrants in active competition.

• ermo
      • 1 month ago

That in itself isn’t so bad.

The problem is the Darwin Award lottery zone they carry with them; if you happen to meet one of these entrants on the road, you may already have been entered into the lottery yourself, despite doing your level best NOT to be stupid and irresponsible.

• Kraft75
    • 1 month ago

I really enjoyed They Are Billions but haven’t played in a long while, will be nice to revisit with new content.

• willmore
      • 1 month ago

Do they have a toutorial yet? That’s what killed me. I started up a simple starter game and tried to build a town–thinking I had a while before zombies showed up (because that’s the game variant I thought I selected)–only to have them show up way early and kill my town. Well, that was a waste of a few hours.

I’m not inclined to play again unless they have a better onboarding.

• willmore
    • 1 month ago

[quote<]We may have inadvertently selected for muscles on dogs’ faces @ Ars Technica[/quote<] What'chu mean inadvertently? I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

• 1 month ago

Yeah I don’t get that headline. We select pets that are aesthetically pleasing. What a shock.

• Captain Ned
    • 1 month ago

Guinness and high-quality vanilla ice cream, mmmmmmm …………………………

EDIT: Elwood bought the Bluesmobile at a Mount Prospect surplus auction.

• emvath79
      • 1 month ago

I was at the Tillamook factory last week (Oregon) where they make their ice cream on site. They had a whiskey and maple flavored ice cream and I didn’t try it! I regret my decision so much. Stupid diet.

• Srsly_Bro