Noctua goes stealth with new all-black Chromax coolers

The beige-and-brown look of Noctua fans has been as much a trademark for the company as the top-tier cooling they provide. But now, Noctua is shrugging off that legacy, at least in part, with a series of new all-black coolers. And when we say all black, we mean all black.

The beige-brown-aluminum look of Noctua fans is akin to those on muscle cars. For many, it’s a sign of uncompromising peformance. For others, though, it’s an eyesore and a compromise; a necessary aesthetic interruption to carefully-planned color coordination.

Noctua has heard builders, though. First shown at Computex 2019, the company is preparing to release all-black versions of the , NH-U12S and coolers. Also in the wings are black versions of the NF-A20, NF-A9, NF-A9x14 and NF-A8 fans. That includes the cooling element itself, right down the to plate that interfaces directly with the CPU. Even better, Noctua says that the stealth look isn’t a compromise unless you’re going for the air-cooling world record. The company is aiming for a less-than-one-degree difference in cooling performance.

Noctua hasn’t dropped pricing on these yet, but these black coolers, dubbed the ‘Chromax’ line, are set to drop in the last quarter of 2019. We’re expecting them to be around the price of the current line. If you love the old-school beige look—or don’t have a case window that makes this a concern—don’t worry; it’s not going anywhere. The rest of us, however, have a new set of great-looking coolers to anticipate this fall.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
10 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
all ears
all ears
1 year ago

Seems to me that black would be more of an “ideal radiator” in physics terms. I would assume it would increase efficiency, if only by a small amount.

Ben Funk
Ben Funk
1 year ago

Anything other than their weird burgundy-colored fans is appreciated. Noctua makes some of the finest coolers around, and having them in plain ol’ black is just fine.

LoneWolf15
LoneWolf15
1 year ago
Reply to  Ben Funk

The irony is how many years it took, when the Thermalright Ultra Extreme (TRUE) Black 120mm existed in 2008, and happens to cool an i9-9900k as well as it did a Core 2 Quad 6600 (I’ve done it with both).

MOSFET
MOSFET
1 year ago
Reply to  LoneWolf15

I’ve brought a 2012 Thermalright Frio along for my Ryzen ride. Cools better than my CLCs. Thank Asus (or was it AMD?) for that dual AM3+ / AM4 mounting mechanism.

LoneWolf15
LoneWolf15
1 year ago
Reply to  MOSFET

I am highly tempted to put my TRUE Black in, as I had bought a Noctua NH-D15s. I’m using it, but it’s one clear advantage is the mounting mechanism of the Noctua means it ain’t going anywhere. The TRUE, even at its tightest, could move slightly if you tweak the `sink. I feel like despite its size and 140mm fan, the TRUE, with two 120mm Noctua Redux 1300rpm fans (3-pin, no PWM) may actually be cooler. I would love to really have the proper equipment to do a shootout. The TRUE is a solid, heavy `sink, too. Full six pipes,… Read more »

Neutronbeam
Neutronbeam
1 year ago

Well, Goths and Darth Vader now know where to get their next cooler.

Krogoth
Krogoth
1 year ago
Reply to  Neutronbeam

Only if you knew the power of the hot side!

UberGerbil
UberGerbil
1 year ago

right down the to plate that interfaces directly with the CPU

Weird. Copper would look good there (not that anybody would see it once the cooler is installed), and presumably would be higher performance.

Waco
Waco
1 year ago
Reply to  UberGerbil

Sure, but it takes very little time to lap the surface anyway. 🙂

LoneWolf15
LoneWolf15
1 year ago
Reply to  UberGerbil

Nickel plate copper works quite well, and doesn’t oxidize.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x