EVGA is offering credit toward a GeForce RTX card for owners of its 700- and 900- series

Most folks don’t buy a lot of graphics cards, and if you’re anything like me, it’s likely that your last graphics purchase was based less on brand and more on price. Still, there’s a fair few folks here at TR that like EVGA, and we reckon there’s a goodly number of gerbils who feel the same way. If you purchased an EVGA GeForce card from the 700 or 900 series, the company may have a new offer for you.

Here’s how it works: if you bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 770, 780, 780 Ti, 970, 980, or 980 Ti card, you can get a credit toward your purchase of a GeForce RTX 2060, 2070, or 2080 direct from EVGA. You have to still have the card, and you need to register it at EVGA’s website. If you bought a recertified card, you are explicitly excluded from the promotion, sadly. Likewise, if you live outside of the USA (including Puerto Rico) or Canada, you aren’t eligible for the trade-up. Sorry, Bruno.

Graphics card Credit amount
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti $150 USD
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 $100 USD
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 $75 USD
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti $100 USD
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 $75 USD
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 $50 USD

The chart above lists the trade-in prices for the various cards that are eligible for the promotion. You can only trade in one card at a time, although there is no limit on the number trade-ins you can perform. That means you can only use one older card’s discount per RTX card you purchase, but you can use multiple cards to get discounts on purchases of multiple RTX graphics cards.

EVGA also says that if you tack on a new EVGA power supply to your RTX graphics card upgrade, you’ll get a “significant” discount on that as well, but since I’m not signing up for the program myself, I don’t have any way to check what that discount would be. If you decide to take advantage of the offer, keep in mind you’ll have to send in your graphics card for EVGA to check first, which means you will be without it for a short while.

While handing in your beloved old GeForce for a what amounts to pile of pocket change may seem like a poor option compared to selling it to a private party, keep in mind that these are old graphics cards. The GeForce GTX 780 came out in May of 2013. Even GTX 970 cards are only going for around $90 on eBay as of this writing.

To be sure, this deal is welcome news for PC gaming enthusiasts who have balked at the high prices of Nvidia’s GeForce RTX graphics cards. However, EVGA’s other offer—optional interest-free financing with Affirm—may not be as altruistic as it seems. If you’re not familiar, Affirm is a service that offers financing on small purchases just like this. The company says it is a more transparent and easier-to-use alternative to credit cards. I haven’t used Affirm, so I won’t remark on the company’s services, but the very idea that buyers might take out a loan to buy a graphics card is rather biting commentary on society in 2019, the prices of said products, or perhaps both.

In any case, EVGA invites everyone who bought one of the company’s 700- or 900-series graphics cards to hit its website to sign up and get to ray-tracing.

Comments
    • Bensam123
    • 3 weeks ago

Absolute waste, I saw this earlier this week and was waiting around for it to pop. EVGA is trying to purge unsavory inventory.

After Navi and Super comes out all vanilla cards are going to become second hand citizens till Nvidia drops prices on them and even then, that’s going to take months. These prices even with the discount don’t make up for the price discount that Super brings or Navi.

Good move for EVGA, not something you should be buying though.

• ozzuneoj
    • 3 weeks ago

If you are nostalgic and even remotely interested in “retro” gaming, hang on to these cards instead.

These cards are the last cards that can be used in Windows XP and the last with VGA (through DVI-I). For about a year I used my 970 with one of the last (and best) high end CRTs and it’s incredible how nice it looks and how responsive games are. Also, there are lots of older games that would benefit from running at high resolutions with tons of AA and many of them also support DirectSound3D, which was removed from DX10\Vista and later (some DS3D OpenAL wrappers exist but they are far from perfect and aren’t supported well anymore). With something like an X-Fi and a GTX 9xx series coupled with any Sandy\Ivy CPU you could have the ultimate system for XP games.

I for one will be keeping my GTX 970 even after I upgrade eventually.

• Rakhmaninov3
    • 3 weeks ago

Damn, our deals guy can’t get a deal.

• Philldoe
    • 3 weeks ago

$150 off on a $1400 part, still does not bring the cost down to what I see as reasonable, but good on them anyway.

• BobbinThreadbare

RTX 2060 is $350, solid % discount on that

• 3 weeks ago

I think he means it cost $1400 for the part back in early 2015 when it released, but four years is eons in GPU times.

• Philldoe
          • 3 weeks ago

No, I bought my 980Ti on release for $659. I don’t see the 2060 as a meaningful upgrade from a 980Ti for myself. If one intended to get a 2060, it’s a great deal, but I’m only looking at top end and the 2980Ti I would like, is $1400.

• Spunjji
        • 3 weeks ago

$200 for a ~20% performance boost after 6 years… not bad, not stunning. Beats anything I’ve seen any other manufacturer offering, though!

• Philldoe
          • 3 weeks ago

Good news for a lot of people, just not enough for my use case. 20% does not get me from the point I’m at now to the point I need to be at. Right now my 980Ti is perfect for 1080p at 60+ fps. I need to get to the point of 4k at 60fps. For the games I’m going to do that in now and for most of the life of a new card, the 2060’s won’t do that, and spending money on an upgrade that will only more frames…that I don’t need… is pointless.

I also don’t see the 2060 being able to keep up with what Cyberpunk 2077 will require with the settings I’ll be wanting.

As I’ve stated, it’s a great deal, just not a great deal for me as I get no net gain.

• Spunjji
            • 3 weeks ago

Oh, for sure – I agree with your perspective entirely. Price/performance at the top end of the market is an absolute pig right now. The Ti end of their range was never optimal for that but imho Nvidia have been taking the piss since Pascal and only got worse with this generation.

I’m still worried that Navi won’t be competitive enough to make Nvidia respond with more reasonable pricing. That said, we’re probably nearing the end of the GPU performance gravy train that we’ve all been riding for the past couple of decades anyway.

• Srsly_Bro
            • 3 weeks ago

Nvidia is releasing its Super [milk] edition and prices of non Super [milk] edition are dropped from the 2080 to the 2060. Prices will drop very shortly. Expected paper launch is July 2.

• Leader952

A simple search on Newegg shows the RTX 2080 Ti is currently $1100 not $1400

[url<]https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11g-p4-2281-kr/p/N82E16814487418?Description=rtx%202080%20ti&cm_re=rtx_2080_ti-_-14-487-418-_-Product[/url<] Typo fixed - 1080 --> 2080 Link was always correct

• Philldoe
        • 3 weeks ago

There is no RTX 1080. RTX is only on the 20xx series parts and the 2080Ti from EVGA I would get is $1400, with the cheapest one being $1200.

• Leader952
          • 3 weeks ago

So you can’t even click on the link to see how wrong you are.

• jihadjoe
          • 3 weeks ago

Yeah well there’s no 2980Ti either.

• JustAnEngineer
      • 3 weeks ago

The $150 trade-in offer for my old EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti is only 50-75% of the going rate on eBay. I believe that I’ll just keep running it in a secondary PC.

• techguy
        • 3 weeks ago

Look again. The higher priced cards may be priced higher but they’re not selling. The highest bid (I.e. actual money offered by a buyer) on any 980 Ti just so happens to be the exact amount EVGA is offering.

• techguy
      • 3 weeks ago

EVGA 2080 Ti Black edition is $999 before discount.

• Philldoe
        • 3 weeks ago

Not on newegg, and it’s $1100 on amazon. But you’re missing the point. I’m not forking over a grand for a damned graphics card.

• chuckula
    • 3 weeks ago

Hey Jen-Hsun, how do you feel now that Navi is almost out?

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhohhjQRTA<]I'm[/url<] [b<][url=https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-likely-unveils-geforce-rtx-super-lineup-on-july-2nd.html<]SUPER[/url<][/b<] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhohhjQRTA<]thanks for asking![/url<]

• Ninjitsu
      • 3 weeks ago

hmm no mention of the “$100 cheaper” thing. finger’s crossed there’s at least some reduction for each GPU tier…

• BiffStroganoffsky
    • 3 weeks ago

Not a bad reward for brand loyalty. A bullet hole in the card that you used to mount it on a wall might be a deal breaker, eh.?.

• Redocbew
      • 3 weeks ago

I imagine that may be frowned upon. It’s probably not the first time it’s happened though. Having worked with a warranty department at a previous job I’ve seen first hand how people will return a destroyed, disgusting, wreck of a thing without even thinking about it.

• Spunjji
        • 3 weeks ago

Can confirm, and not just from a warranty perspective. I worked at an IT reseller for a while and had one customer return a server they decided they didn’t need (after opening it); our Ts and Cs said this was fine if the server was returned in original condition.

It came back half-loose inside a stained box with a couple of token chunks of broken, shedding polystyrene jammed in around it. There were a couple of loose Haribo wrappers floating around inside – I’m pretty sure they salvaged the packaging from their general waste bin. Inside the server I found another Haribo packet, and also discovered that they had pulled the plastic tray off the CPU because they thought that was part of the packing.