See our spicy selection from the Steam Summer Sale 2019

Gerbils, there are too many games. There are just so many. Even though I already own more than I will likely ever play, I’ve picked up five more games in the Steam Summer Sale. I imagine you already knew the sale was ongoing whether you’re a Steam user or not. Still, I’m going to show you a fair few deals I think you shouldn’t skip.

This time around, I didn’t write a blurb for each game as I normally do; there are simply too many titles, and I’m already overburdened with another, top secret project. Let me note that this is by no means a comprehensive list; rather, this is a curated collection of quality titles hand-picked by yours truly. Without further ado, here’s my selections for the standouts of the 2019 Steam Summer Sale:

First-person shooters

Third-person shooters

Overhead-view (“twin-stick”) shooters

Local co-op games

Character action games

Third-person action RPGs

“Metroid-vania” games

Let me take a moment to note that you can find the majority of these deals over on GOG.com, formerly known as Good Old Games. GOG isn’t just old games anymore, though; the site—owned and operated by Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt Red—sells thousands and thousands of titles totally DRM-free, if that’s important to you. GOG still carries some old games you won’t find on Steam, too, like Warcraft II and Diablo—both of which are ten bucks, by the way.

Hopefully there’s something in that giant list that you both haven’t already played and are interested in. Unfortunately, if you’re not into action games, there probably isn’t. If you’re a fan of one of the many, many game genres I missed, leave us your favorite titles that are discounted in the comments so we can take a look this weekend.

Comments
    • mganai
    • 2 weeks ago

Needs more Divinity: Original Sin 1&2.

• SangiYaro
    • 2 weeks ago

Not sure if it also applies to US, but

“Borderlands: The Handsome Collection” is currently priced for 5.52 €

It includes Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Borderlands 2 and bunch of DLC.

Although, it may be a pricing mistake as its price is lower even than Borderlands 2 alone (after 75% discount).

• juzz86
    • 3 weeks ago

Yeah, just restarted Turok 2 – one of my faves from the 64.

Damn Lair of the Blind Ones! Otherwise good memories all round.

Cerebral Bore – still one of the wackiest bits of weapon ever.

• Spunjji
      • 2 weeks ago

Protect the energy totems… at all costs!

The cerebral bore was my favourite thing about that game. It made for a fun dynamic in Rage Wars multiplayer, too.

• PrincipalSkinner
    • 3 weeks ago

Get that Cryptark now! It’s a lot of fun.

• ronch
    • 3 weeks ago

It still amazes me to this day how realistic graphics have become. I went through the days of CGA, EGA, and VGA, and while I still hold those days more dear, even my lowly HD 7770 is light years ahead of my first CGA card. Makes me appreciate everything we have today. Even that cheap $350 50″ Full HD TV from an off-brand just blows our 32″ Trinitron out of the water.

• DPete27

Dishonored = $3.30 – a must play
    Portal 2 = $1 – mandatory

Dying Light is on the list above, really enjoyed it.

• Generic
      • 2 weeks ago

I know those games are old, but those prices are criminally low for the quality of those titles compared to many Many other games.

• Voldenuit
    • 3 weeks ago

Re: Metroidvanias, [url=https://store.steampowered.com/app/367520/Hollow_Knight/<]Hollow Knight for 40% of at $9[/url<] is a must-buy if you haven't got it already.

• RAGEPRO
      • 3 weeks ago

Holy crap! I can’t believe I forgot Hollow Knight! Yes! This game is required [s<]reading[/s<] playing for any fan of the genre!

• sweatshopking
      • 3 weeks ago

Yeah, but it’s on game pass which is only a buck for a month…

• Shobai
        • 3 weeks ago

Steam’s got a game pass?!?!

• FireGryphon
    • 3 weeks ago

Nice big list. I do prefer GOG and get my games there.

• anotherengineer

[url<]https://store.steampowered.com/sub/15481/[/url<] is good

• RAGEPRO
      • 3 weeks ago

I’ve heard about Dungeon Defenders in the past, but never picked it up. At that price it looks like I don’t have much excuse, haha.

• sweatshopking
        • 3 weeks ago

another engineer has put more time into that game than anyone on earth I swear..

• anotherengineer
          • 3 weeks ago

a ton of AFK hours that’s for sure lol, and all back in the day

• rnalsation
    • 3 weeks ago

I would argue that [url=https://store.steampowered.com/sub/88801/<]Dying Light Enhanced Edition[/url<] for -70% or $17.99 is the version to recommend here. It comes with The Following expansion (you get to run over zombies in an upgradable buggy and a crossbow.) and Bozak Hoard (SAW but with parkour and zombies). The Dying Light Ultimate Collection is everything in The Enhanced Edition and some extra skin packs that add cheap crafting early on that may feel a little cheaty at lower levels.

• RAGEPRO
      • 3 weeks ago

Right on. Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t put nearly as much time into that game as I’d like.

• Neutronbeam
    • 3 weeks ago

Just got Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY and NieR: Automata GOTY using my Father’s Day gift card.

This was after promising myself that the ONLY games I would buy in the next year were Mechwarrior 5, Borderlands 3, the final DLC for Battletech and maybe, just maybe, the Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk 2077 (because reasons and Keanu).

I blame global warming for my lack of financial discipline, and the fact that my thinking has been clouded by reading all the stories here on cheese–so, yeah, it’s totally drfish’s fault.

• morphine
      • 3 weeks ago

I’m surprised by the fact that your kids actually thought you deserved a card.

• Neutronbeam
        • 3 weeks ago

Sigh. They didn’t; it was from my wife. My son is waiting for me to kick off so he can get my computers and Steam library. He doesn’t know about Amazon’s Lazarus project where I can upload my consciousness to its servers (don’t tell anyone).

And as for you, Mister Portly Portugal, your cats’ nickname for you translates as “first meal after the apocalypse”.

😉

• morphine
          • 3 weeks ago

Gonna be a fatty meal for my cats.

• nanoflower
      • 3 weeks ago

I’m disappointed to hear that you didn’t already own The Witcher 3. Shame!

It’s truly a great game. Have to get back to it at some point.

• Neutronbeam
        • 3 weeks ago

>hangs head< I have drawn the curtains of shame in my man cave.

• Voldenuit
      • 3 weeks ago

NieR: Automata is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

It was a perfect storm of being able to get together Yoko Taro’s wackiness with Platinum Games’ polish and mechanics, so kudos to the CEO of Square Enix who made it happen at all.

Tip: make sure to read the quest entries after you finish each quest, they add a bittersweet epilogue to the conclusion of each quest.

• RAGEPRO
        • 3 weeks ago

“Bittersweet” is an excellent term to describe how I feel about that game overall. Masterfully-crafted, but I feel like finishing it took a piece of my soul.

• Voldenuit
          • 3 weeks ago

Yeah, Nier:Automata is a game that rewards you for committing emotionally to the story and characters, but it also exacts a price for doing so.

It’s the rare game that tugs at my heart strings, and nothing else* has done that for me since until I started playing Sdorica on Android, which despite (or maybe because of) its cutesey graphics, could wrench my gut with a simple pop-up line describing the gulf between the nobles and the slum dwellers in the Sun Kingdom.

Cytus II, another RayArk game, has engaged me on another level, that of intellectual curiosity and investment in its mysterious and unfolding story(ies), told third-hand through piecing together disparate threads of an online message board.

It’s the little details that sell a game to me, such as the somber and melancholic music of Hollow Nest in Hollow Knight, and the drip-feed of environmental storytelling. Too many AAA games rely on spectacle, but there’s too little emotional depth in explosions and melodrama in most of them to leave a lasting impact for me.

* EDIT: I somehow forgot about What Remains of Edith Finch, which I felt was incredibly inventive in its storytelling, and which I also found to be quite poignant. But what sets apart the other games I mentioned earlier from Finch is that they were just downright /fun/ to play, which makes them great games, whereas Finch was more of a very well told interactive story.

• LostCat
      • 3 weeks ago

My friends can’t fathom why I don’t like N:A. Oh well.

• Voldenuit
        • 2 weeks ago

It’s not for everyone. And that’s perfectly fine.

• superjawes
    • 3 weeks ago

I haven’t put a lot of time into [i<]Bloodstained[/i<] yet, but so far, everything has been great. It's a Castlevania game in everything but name. The music, controls, map, and story are soaked in that familiarity, and if you ever played [i<]Aria of Sorrow[/i<] (GBA) or [i<]Dawn of Sorrow[/i<] (DS), you'll recognize the shard system. [i<]Dishonored[/i<] was also mentioned in a Bargain Basement comment, but you can get the Definitive Edition of the first game for $10. The sequel will set you back $20, [i<]Death of the Outsider[/i<] (a DLC+ semi-sequel?) is $15, and if you're feeling spicy and want it all, $40 will get you the complete collection.

• 3 weeks ago

Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris were both tons of fun when I played through them on an iPad, but as most touch-enabled games are these days, the controls are wonky. Definitely would recommend playing them with a better control scheme.

• auxy
      • 3 weeks ago

They are waaaay better on an Xbox pad. I can’t even imagine… with touch controls… some of the “platforming” in the second game… (/ω ;\)

• Waco
    • 3 weeks ago

EDF 4.1 is a great addition to a great series of terrible (but stupidly fun) games.

• nanoflower
      • 3 weeks ago

Saw some gameplay from one of the early EDF games and it does look wild. It’s in my list of owned but not played games (Thanks to the Monthly Humble Bundle) so I’ll get to it eventually.

• Waco
        • 3 weeks ago

It’s super clunky and stupid in a very B-movie type of way. It’s a blast (literally) with a few friends.

There is a bit of grinding, but that’s half the appeal of these types of games.

• RAGEPRO
      • 3 weeks ago

My buddy and I picked up the original EDF game on Xbox 360 totally expecting it to be utter garbage. This was before anyone knew about EDF. We were blown away ([s<]literally[/s<] okay well figuratively) by the game and have been fans ever sense. Total nonsense, but a blast anyway.

• Waco
        • 3 weeks ago

That’s exactly where my old roommate and I got hooked. It was just stupid enough to be incredibly fun.

• Spunjji
      • 2 weeks ago

So bad, so good. “Oh hey, I unlocked a giant robot that I can bring to fight these giant ants. Oh, now they have more-giant-er robots than me. Cool.”