NVIDIA to update nForce2 MCP

It’s long been known that NVIDIA’s nForce3 250Gb chipset for Athlon 64 processors would feature Serial ATA RAID, Gigabit Ethernet, and a hardware firewall, but I can now reveal that these extras will also make their way to the K7 platform in a new nForce2 MCP. Expected in a couple of months, the new MCP’s extra storage and networking features should help the nForce2 compete with VIA’s KT880 and KT600 chipsets, which share a VT8237 south bridge that offers native support for Serial ATA RAID.

Though enthusiasts may scoff at new chipset developments for the supposedly dead K7 platform, Athlon XPs should continue to deliver great performance at rock bottom prices for some time. It’s hard to go wrong with a $75 Athlon XP 2500+, especially if enthusiasts will be able to get their hands on Serial ATA RAID, Gigabit Ethernet, and a hardware firewall in a updated nForce2 MCP.

• Zenith

#6 atidriverssuck – You forget, When comparing the audigy 2 and other sound platforms, the Soundstorm gives out the best -performance- in games. As in, it takes the least FPS away when enabling sound.

I’ve seen situations where it gave at 5-10 FPS back in some games from the audigy O_o Strange, but true. Teh soundstorm is good for gamers too, I use it afterall.

• 5150

This is the baby I’ve been waiting for. The ole’ KT133 just ain’t cutting it anymore. I mean, when you have to run a Radeon 9600 at 800×600 that’s just wrong.

• mirkin

Seems like nvidia is going for enterprise market. I think sound storm is being redone to bring it up another notch, and we wont hear much about that for awhile. It would be nice if we could mix and match features – Id take the firewall, SATA and sound storm at the expense of gigalan . . . I also remember a rumor that nforce2 was going to get SATA etc last fall, wonder what took so long.

• arb_npx

Well at least there’s native SATA. The Silicon Image Si3112R on my board hasn’t given me any crashes or driver-related problems, other than BSODing when SpeedFan tries to do a S.M.A.R.T. query on it (which is sort of understandable). But Silicon Image has almost nothing on the chip itself, and the only way you can get drivers is through the board manufactuer’s page.

• DukenukemX
        • arb_npx

whoa, that site has a PDF for implementing an activity LED on the SiI3112 series! Finally, my third HDD light will be alive!

• Chryx

there is (was?) a driver up on windowsupdate that fixed the SMART query issue for me with a GA-7NNXP

• DukenukemX

I tried installing that update from Windows XP but it always failed to install.

• indeego

Same. In fact my home system currently sits without it’s use of SATA drivers since I attempted to install that update. I don’t have any drives attached, but geez if that had happened with a drive attached?

I’m sure the solution is just to revert back to the previous driver, but I’m thinking this updated driver will be pulled quicklyg{<.<}g

• DukenukemX

I had to remove the device from device manager and install my other drivers back. All this with a SATA HD still connected.

At least the new SoundStorm drivers work from Windows update. You need control pannel V4.09 to have the 4.31 driver function with it. Still didn’t fix all my problems but bass does sound better.

• indeego

I installed XP SP2 RC1 last night (yeah why not, I had nothing else to do and I need to test this before rollout) and it fixed the SIL install on first boot.

BTW RC1 is quite nice. They *[

• indeego

omg this 4.09 fixes the left/right channel problem. I’ve been wondering about that one for ages, I couldn’t repeat it when I wanted to, geez.

Thanksg{<.<}g

• atidriverssuck

hooray, maybe now we can get rid of that shitty silicon image sata controller chip. Sounstorm has been less than ideal in the driver/compatibility department for many games (and pro music apps), so really I don’t care for it as much as u guys do.

For general playing dvds/mp3s/cds, it is very good. Outside of that…

• Xiphias

What’s with all the internet stuff nVidia has started doing recently? Pop-up blockers in their graphics card drivers and hardware firewalls on their chipset.

What next? nVidia routers or an nVidia web browser?

• DukenukemX

Yes but will it have SoundStorm?

Seems as if Nvidia is abandoning SoundStorm. What do they know that we don’t?

• Spotpuff

Agreed
      The on-board graphics are a nice touch but they can’t compete with the mainstream solutions in place today.

But the sound on these mobos is great. No, SNR is not superb in all cases, but the sound quality is pretty darned good for “free”.

Hopefully they stick with it, though they may dump it in favour of a discrete solution.

Would have been nice to have GbLAN on my board too, since it’s a barebones, but alas, you can’t have it all.

• crose

Why are they so stubborn? Most ppl love the nForce for the integrated sound. Did this feature cost to much to integrate or didn’t the mobo makers want integrated sound?

• Krogoth

(lame c0nspirancy mode)Creative is buying Nvidia to convince them not to use Soundstorm in future products. Because, it hurts the sales of their Audigy 2s. (/lame c0nspirancy mode)

• Entroper

There have been whispers for the last 2 years that nVidia would eventually make a complete sound card based on Soundstorm. It would make sense for them to remove it from their chipsets first, to give people a reason to buy the card. Whole sound cards would be more profitable for them, if they can make one that can compete with Audigy.

• indeego

That is silly. Why introduce the Integrated solution at all then? Why remove the Integrated from a part and then sit with nothing in the wings?

My feeling is that they ran into licensing issues that would delay the release of their chipsets, and they didn’t feel like negotiating and taking up time (probably against Creativeg{<.<}g)

• DukenukemX

I think it’s mostly the fault of mother board manufacturers. I believe that SoundStorm was just too much of a cost to intergrate into motherboards. Why else would Nvidia remove it from Nforce 3?

Considering motherboards cost around $100 and you would get a free sound card that is just as good as Audigy. I think manufacturers believed they were giving away too much. It shows how much SoundStorm costed when every Nforce 2 MCP-T was using a ALC650 anolog chip.

I just wish manufacturers would listen to thier consumers and push Nvidia to bring back SoundStorm. Hopefully SoundStorm 2 in Nforce 3 with 24-bit/192 Hz audio with no need for a ALC650 or whatever.

After all the Asus A7N8X Deluxe didn’t win awards just for it’s SATA and firewire support.

• HiggsBoson

Um you do know that “Soundstorm” is a digital-out only solution right? The reason that they use the additional codecs is because “Soundstorm” isn’t really about analog-out. It uses S/PDIF exclusively.

• DukenukemX

Yes but doesn’t it need the codecs for anolog in also? Currently SoundStorm has problems with certain HTPC software out there. You can’t record anolog audio and play it back thru SPDIF. Try it with a AIW Radeon based video card.