Asus PhysX boards coming in May

The Register reports that Asus will begin
shipping
Ageia PhysX physics accelerators in May. The boards will
have 256MB of memory and an active cooler similar to those seen on
low-end graphics cards. No pricing was disclosed, but
considering that Alienware bundles 128MB
PhysX boards for $275
, offerings with 256MB of RAM may sit on the
upper end of Ageia’s announced $249-299 price range. At those prices, PhysX cards may be a tough sell until developers
rely on them for essential gameplay features, as Havok FX will provide cosmetic hardware-accelerated physics through existing
Shader Model 3.0 graphics cards from NVIDIA and ATI.

• kfc

FULL BLOWN DESTRUCTIBLE TERRAIN!

• Jigar

Is there any possiblities in Physx cards that after some time they will come out with faster Physx card and then there will be competition like i have this so n so phsx card bla bla…. and so on…… I dont want it like that n i guess no one want it like that….. This is in refrence with the GPU i am talking about… 😉

• ssway

I still want to know what effect this will have on l[

• DrDillyBar

Graphics amounted to Eye-candy.
      Physics, unfortunately, does not.
      … that’s all I can think of to contribute.

• Krogoth

It’s quite simple actually, non-PPU users would have a sereve CPU hit in physics demanding games which means lower FPS. The missing ingridents to the PPU revolution is a killer app and a standard API that can do hardware and software acceleration.

PhysX reminds me of the original Voodoo graphics which was also add-on card that cost $399 at its 1996 launch. It first used a propertary API and had a few killer apps to convince gamers to invest in 3D graphics accelerators.

• inphobia

Ageia’s API is build in a way that it will fall back to software emulation if no hardware card is present, so the API is the same for both modes.

Another thing to boost their API is that they offer it for free to devellopers, while havoc has licensing costs around $10K. Not much given budgets, but corners will be cut where possible.

And ofcourse, Ageia has an agreement with Sony where they provide a custom version of their API for PS3, optimized for cell. Gives all those cores something to do. You don’t have to be a visionary to see where this is going given that devs like to port like mad to make maximize ROI.

• Anomymous Gerbil

LOL – you’ll be “wasting” your money on this when you see what it can do to games and sims. You might be buying a PhysX card to run the code, or you might run it on a GPU or even on a faster CPU (to minimise frame-rate hit), but I daresay you’ll be spending money on this within the next 2-3 years.

• DrDillyBar

Add PPU to the definition of l33tnez. Synergies welcome…

• Sniper

$119 PhysX card, sure… but $300 is a rip off.

In about 2 or 3 years it might be useful to have one, but by then it’ll be cheaper. l[

• vdreadz

Games are becoming Multi-threaded and we have Dual-Core CPUs, shouldn’t this be enough for game phiysics? Havok FX is developing hardware-accelerated physics through existing Shader Model 3.0 graphics cards from NVIDIA and ATI so why should we waste approx.~$300 on a PPU card that *[http://www.havok.com/content/view/187/77/<]§

• Forge

Because the GPU-accelerated physics is COSMETIC ONLY? That GPU accel can make your stuff look pretty, but it can’t be reproduced exactly in multiple runs, so it can NOT be used for anything of consequence.

It’s the new AA. You don’t need it, some people want it bad, and most people could care less.

• Anomymous Gerbil

I never understood that – we say “most people couldn’t care less”, i.e. they do not care. To say “most people could care less” means that they *[

• absinthexl

“I could care less” is as American as rediculous.

• BobbinThreadbare

I believe it is sarcastic, “yeah right, I could care less.”

• albundy

not 300 bucks impressed. they also should consider making it PCI-E as it is getting harder and harder to find a modern board with many pci slots.

• Sanctusx2

The video looks awesome.

However I dread having to add third consideration into a gaming system. Already you have to balance CPU vs your GPU. All the additional physics obviously requires some extra GPU power to go with it(all those extra polys). So now there will be a three way relationship between CPU, GPU, and PPU. We’re really going to have to start seeing some serious comparative reviews startup.

• kfc

Hopefully games will now come out with full blown destructible terrain. Not the crap that we see in BF2.

OMFG this would kick ass and bring life to these WW2 shooters!

• Capsaicin

If it’s worth it to ya — go for it! If I want my fill of eye candy, I’ll go scene.org, then come back when I’m ready to play games. (Of course, once there’s a “Santa Cruz” of PPUs, I’m sure I’ll pick it up. :rolleyes:)

• Sargent Duck

I’m impressed. But not $300 impressed.

• PRIME1

Cart before the horse.

• Ruiner

All this physics and eye candy is fun, but I’d rather have a game that isn’t a prettier rehash of some older game.

You can’t polish a turd.

• indeego

What if the turd is shown in incredible detail while exiting a moving anus, accurate physics and allg{

• 5150

Good one, you made me lol, so we’re even. 😀

• stebog

Don’t you think these things should have a pricing model similar to sound cards?

I’m interested, but am not going to buy at those prices.

Watch me eat my words when(if) UT2k7 gives a reason to own one.

• UberGerbil

If they sold in the same quantities as sound cards, they undoubtably would (they could be cheaper, actually, since they don’t need much beyond the chip whereas sound cards have various analog components). I expect prices will drop over time, assuming they keep selling at all.

• Shinare

I’d rather buy one of these than another vid card and get a few more FPS and “fake” eye-candy physics.

Early adopters ALWAYS pay a premium. Prices will go down as soon as supply goes up, I’m willing to bet on it.

• BobbinThreadbare

Why doesn’t creative buy this company and put them both on one card?

That would seem to make the most sense.

• UberGerbil

When has Creative shown that much imagination? The only companies they buy are the ones that are outcompeting them technically in markets they’re already in.

It’s actually a good idea, because you could also use this to do advanced sonic modelling (proper echo that reflects the physical acoustics of the space, etc) and probably some other things I could dream up. But Creative has never shown that kind of initiative.

• Bauxite

creative? lol

why on earth would you want to slather their pile of stink on a potentially useful new pc gaming tech?

• Cyril

#2, I think someone should start a market for PCI-E x1 deco lights, I’m sure people would be overjoyed about being able to plug /[

• UberGerbil

Plenty of PCI-E gigE x1 network cards available….

• 5150

Are there any benefits to that? Just curious.

• UberGerbil

GigE raw bandwidth: 125Mbps
          PCI raw bandwidth: 133Mbps (somewhat lower in practice)
          If you’ve got anything else hanging off PCI (eg audio, integrated or not, video capture, USB/Firewire, etc) and you’re actually using your GigE at full spec, yeah it can make a difference. Uncompressed video capure to remote storage, for example.

• BobbinThreadbare

Don’t most people have integrated gigabit ethernet, if not dual?

• Sargent Duck

Some mb manufactures take the cheap way out and attach GigE onto the PCI bus. Even enthusiast mb makers are guilty of doing this.

• UberGerbil

Yep, alas.

• BobbinThreadbare

Often times the second one, but usually not the first (or only) one.

Besides I could live with ethernet on the PCI, if my soundcard and PPU were on PCIe.

• SGWB

Correction, GigE total bandwidth is 250 MBps. Not trying to nit-pick, just want to point out how out of date the PCI bus really is!

It gives you (theoretically) 125 megabytes of bandwith in both directions, simultaneously. PCI’s 133 MBps is shared, total available bandwith.

The fastest hard drives on the market can reach a maximum sustained transfer rate of 70MBps. So now, even a small RAID0 or RAID5 setup can outstrip the bandwith available on PCI

• Shinare

Dont forget PCIe 1x RAID cards…

• BobbinThreadbare

The picture looks like a PCI card. If I were trying to sell an expesive, largely unused add-in card, I’d think I’d target those who could (and would want to) afford it, and make it PCIe.

• crabjokeman

Didn’t anyone tell you that the rest of your PCIe slots are for decoration only?

• UberGerbil

Most of those who want and could afford this probably have more open PCI slots than PCI-E x1 slots. And they want to appeal to the largest possible market, which might include people with old systems who haven’t yet made the PCI-E plunge but would be willing to by an ad-on like this. Yeah, I don’t think there are a lot of them either but why limit yourself, particularly if you’re not pushing PCI bandwidth limits. Of course, if they get really serious about this at some point they better be pushing PCI limits…