$499 PlayStation 3 lacks HDMI output, Wi-Fi

port, Bluetooth 2.0 support, 1080i/1080p HDTV output, and a 2X Blu-ray
drive. On top of those features, the $499 version of the console will
add a 20 GB hard drive, while the $599 version will have a 60 GB drive
plus 802.11b/g Wi-Fi support, a MemoryStick/SD/CompactFlash card reader,
and an HDMI output. Sony also
says
its new wireless gyroscopic controller will ship “as standard,”
likely meaning both $499 and $599 versions will include it.

This pricing appears to be $100 above the Xbox 360, whose “Premium” $399
system also has a 20GB hard drive, lacks HDMI output and a card reader,
and only offers Wi-Fi support in the form of a separate $99.99 adapter.
Sony’s $599 PS3 will end up costing twice as much as the Xbox 360 “Core”
system, however, which trades the “Premium” system’s wireless gamepad,
hard drive, and headset for a $299 price point. Thanks to Joystiq for
the tip.

• firestorm02

I don’t know aboot this whole console thing. If you look at the differences between a PC and console there is only one major difference: the OS. The new consoles have very similar hardware to PC’s; mobos, ram, video & sounds chips, hard drives, dvd roms, networking so why the big deal?

I would say the best part about a consol is that you put a disk in, turn it on and play a game. There is no installing, finding game patches, and video driver’s bla bla bla.

So if Microsoft (or any body, I don’t care) was trying to be innovative they would forget aboot directX and ship Vista as a dual boot, one half Vista the other half Xbox OS. Get your self a wifi keyboard and mouse and you got your self a piece of hardware that can be upgraded, customized act as a home theatre, game station or work tool. Hell you could even use it as a pvr.

I may be way off but I think spending money on disposable games and hardware is kinda silly. After all how many of you have 5-6 consoles cluttering up your room so you can play one more round of Goldeneye.

• ripfire

What the… Is it year 2000 all over again?

• indeego

It’s looking like the next few years won’t be HD for the world. Look for 2009 when everything comes together:
    1. Gov’t mandate to turn off analog and turn on HD.
    2. Prices for HD will be <$500 for all components.
    3. CE/Markets will have HD competition saturation and penetrationg{<.<}g (r{

• PerfectCr

The government mandate is for everything to go DIGITAL, not HD. Digital TV and HDTV are two entirely different things.

• Hattig

So they’re hoping to sell 4 million $500+ games consoles within a couple of months of release?

I notice the number is down from the 6 million they were talking about before.

I can’t help but think that Sony is going to mess up badly because they’re trying to create an all-in-one home entertainment device rather than concentrating on making a decent mass market priced console.

$600 PS3 or ~$200 Wii and lots of games, extra controllers and food and booze for the game playing gatherings?

Microsoft should drop the XBox360 a little this November to make the price difference all the more visible – a $279 core and $369 premium package.

• Krogoth

It is quite possible with the Rev 2.0 units (65nm parts, sight internal tweaks( coming down the pipe.

• BearThing

If I was Microsoft, come November I’d drop the price on the current Premium Edition to $369 or thereabouts, then add a Deluxe Edition (EXXtreme Edition?) that has a 60G HD and their WiFi module for $450.

…and release Halo III… but that might take a little longer.

• packfan_dave

If I were MS I’d do the rumored $100 price cut on the current packages to clear out inventory, and bring out two new ones to replace them

– for $249, “Core System 2” -> add a 20 GB HD to the current Core System
        – for $399, “Premium System 2” -> upgrade the 20 GB HD to 60/80 GB, bundle with the HD-DVD add-on (this really isn’t too unreasonable; HD-DVD drives for PCs are supposed to launch at $120 or so)

and then I’d decide whether I’m launching Xbox 3 in 2009 or 2010. If it’s 2010, then do a respin with integrated HD-DVD and Wi-Fi in 2008.

• lex-ington

They can count me as part of that 4 million since that will be my all purpose machine. I’ll still build the mini-PC so my wife can stop bugging me to check her e-mail while I’m working.

Had the PS1 – loved it till it tanked 5 years later (1995-2000)

Have the PS2 – original PS2 tanked after 5 years (2000-2005)

FFXII on PS3 – lovin’ it.

• --k

Nytimes correctly states that PS3 makes sense if you see value in BR. X360 will have a HDDVD attachment which will create an interesting price point if bundled together.

• shank15217

I still think according to the actual specifications the PS3 is no way a more powerful console than the xbox. I cannot see the price justification. A bigger HD in the form of a 60 GB doesn’t mean much for media center applications anyway. Sorely disappointed :-/

• Crayon Shin Chan

Why would one want the WiFi?

• titan

People who have a wirless network and want to play their games online. Kind of like me. I have a wireless router and I play games online all the time.

• ripfire

So people who doesn’t have DSL or Cable can get it free from their neighboors wireless. Duh! 😛

• Namarrgon

No wifi, no easy PSP integration.

Yeah, it’s (presumably) still possible to connect your PSP with a USB cable if you want the “wingmirror” extra display trick they were showing off, but then it negates half the point of having wireless controllers.

Speaking of PSP, has Sony mentioned being able to use it to play UMD movies through the PS3? What about just to play music, a la 360? Seems like obvious things to implement, but you’d think they’d have said something if it could…

• Decelerate

They should’ve kept the Wifi standard… At least they’ll have hard drives as non-optional features.

That’s a slap towards the 360.

• Shinare

As much as I want to support Sony, and their PS3 (which I have been patiently awaiting), I really cant see paying $600 for a console. I thought the XBox was extremely pricy.

Dont get me wrong, I’m not saying what you get for that $600 is not worth it in the long run, as far as a BlueRay player, DVR functionality, and on top of that, next gen gaming, but $600 is a lot of money for me personally, and not something I can throw down willy-nilly. Especially since the wife factor only sees it as “Yet another console to add to the mix”. (I already own PS1, PS2, xbox, and a n64).

Unfortunatly, the console I have been waiting on for so long now has been priced out of reach. I guess I will only be getting one from a pawn shop.

• Ricardo Dawkins

get a 360 with the November reduced price…BTW, buahahhahaha @ SONY.

• Krogoth

Again, Sony became too confident and overambitious this time around.

The hardcore console gamer segement is still a small miniority compaired to average joe/jane and their kiddies. I doubt they are willing to spend $499 or $599 for that matter for their little one’s chirstmas/birthday present.

• lex-ington

Actually . . .the way kids are spoiled these days, I can’t see a parent NOT wanting one for their kids cause . . . you know . . . .it will hurt their children’s morale when the OTHER kids all say they have one.

%^@$!*^# people.

• Nelliesboo

Buy them a gallon of ice cream instead (Neopolitan)

• lex-ington

You fell for that????? . . . . . . .

Well I shouldn’t talk cause I would forget everyhting once I had a hot slice of coconut bread smothered with butter in my hands.

• Pettytheft

Man my mom had us fooled. For Christmas and birthdays we were allowed to have one sugar cereal of our choice. She wouldn’t buy any of that stuff all year long. I would guard my Crunchberries like they were gold. All hell would break loose if somone were to dip in someone else’s box.

• ripfire

Screw all that! For last Christmas my parents got me a Nintendo Sixty-Foooooooouuuuuurrrr!!!! A NINTENDO SIXTYFOOOOOOOOOUUUURRR!!

• titan

Not really morale as much as, what did that one doctor whose kid committed suicide say….oh yeah, “Warp their fragile personalities.” He also said it is wrong to physically discipline your children. (Not to start a flame war here, but there is a huge difference between abuse and discipline) Did I mention his kid committed suicide?

Anyway, the only way I would buy my non-existent kids one of these is if they worked hard all summer for one. It’s amazing how five cents an hour adds up. I have no problem buying one for myself on the other hand.

• beyoku

Meh – just get the 600.oo

• gophers13

One question: How can people watch HD movies on the included blueray drive without HDMI since that is supposed to be manditory for HD output.

• ripfire